The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 01:00 AM   #1
rayray45

problem with an 870 express super magnum

I have a Remington 870 express and I love it but one day I encountered a problem. after shooting the pump will not come back to eject the shell even if I pull it as hard as I can and eventually have to resort to slamming the butt of the gun on my knee while pulling on the pump which usually works the gun will cycle shells that are not shot just fine. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like the all too common rough chamber... Some ammo will expand the metal portion of the base into these small grooves causing the binding...

There are many methods to accomplish the end result of smoothing the chamber... Mainly they include putting a piece of cleaning rod in a drill and attaching any number of items to it...

From a bore swab with compound on it to a bore brush with steel wool... just be sure you do not go beyond acceptable tolerance...

Smooth chamber will solve the issue it sounds like...

It is one step Remington (and some others to a degree) slouch on to save a nickel to compete with the price of guns like Mossberg/Maverick which seem to make it out of the factory already smooth enough far more often...

Brent
Old January 16, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
myshoulderissore

Yep, I used a Dremel with a cloth wheel and some metal polish to smooth the area out... It didn't take much to make a HUGE difference.