The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 2, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
korny351

Touch up bluing

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have an older Winchester 94 Classic rifle. Through my own neglect (stupidity) I have rusting and pitting on the barrel beneath the wood on the fore-end and on the lower tang where it meets the stock. The patches on the barrel are about the size of a fingernail whereas the lower tang is rusted thoroughly along one side.

I've removed the rust with PB Blaster and 0000 steel wool and plan on attacking the pitting with progressively finer sandpaper. The original finish had a grainy almost brushed finish. I want to try and match the original color which is almost black. What cold bluing product would you suggest to try and recapture the original look?

Admittedly, most of this will be covered up by the wood and as such will not be highly noticeable or be subject to further wear. I'm more concerned with rust.

Any recommendations for products and/or procedures will be greatly appreciated.

John K.
Old November 2, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Remove the rust with steel wool. Then leave it alone. No cold blue will match perfectly, and they don't prevent rust.
Old November 2, 2008, 07:46 PM   #3
KMG5402

Unfortunately Bill is right in this situation, attempting to re-blue the areas that need it, it's not going to match, it's not going to be textured the same, and it will actually decrease the value in the long run.

On the other hand, I know how you feel because I have an old, beautiful Colt 357 from 1959 with some holster wear. It's an eye sore when ever I look it, but I know I just shouldn't mess with it.

Should you decide to do it, everyone says Blue Wonder is the way to go. I know they make a blue as well as a black solution. Search youtube for videos.

Goodluck!
Old November 2, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I tend to agree with the above, but I do use cold blue from time to time for touchup and I prefer G96 Gun Blue Paste.

Some of the others are good, some are worthless.

Jim
Old November 3, 2008, 04:06 AM   #5
fbrown333@suddenlink

bluing

I have used Oxfoblue from Brownells a couple times. for touch up it worked fairly well. I wouldn't use it for bluing an entire firearm but for touch up it is ok.