The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 3, 2001, 03:33 PM   #1
10CFR

Firing Line Mailer - Links partially parsed

Lately, when I get email notifications that someone has replied to a thread, the link provided doesn't work unless I highlight the whole link and copy it into my browser's url line.

If I click on the link in the body of my email, like we are supposed to do, it doesn't work right. Only part of the link is underlined and only that part is parsed if I click on it, resulting in a trip to The Firing Line with a message of "no thread specified."

Old October 3, 2001, 09:18 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like one of the characters in the URL is erroneously signaling the end of the link.

I can think of a few things that might solve your problem.

The first is that it could be your email program and not TFL. Check your preferences and be sure that you have them set to automatically make links out of URLs.

Another possibility is to right click on the link in the email and then choose "copy link location" Then you can paste the saved URL into the address window of your browser.

A third possibility is to "subscribe" to the thread in question. Then when you go to your user control panel, there will be a link to the thread for you to click on.

You've already discovered one solution (cut and paste). Hopefully these others will help also.

-Dave
Old October 3, 2001, 09:39 PM   #3
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Most of the newer e-mail clients will automaticly end the URL at the ? in the URL. No way around it other then to get a new e-mail client or continue to copy and paste the URL.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old October 5, 2001, 12:20 AM   #4
10CFR

Quote:
Another possibility is to right click on the link in the email and then choose "copy link location" Then you can paste the saved URL into the address window of your browser.
BluesMan, That is what I am currently doing. That works. ZipLip is weird anyway, but hey, it's free.

Caeca Invidia Es, I checked and that is exactly what it is doing. Ending the url at the "?" Thanks for your attention.

-10CFR