The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #26
FireForged

Shooting one handed is a backup plan.. sure its something you need to be able to do reasonably well but I am not so sure that "mastering" one handed shooting is something I consider practical.

Last edited by FireForged; November 28, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:32 PM   #27
JERRYS.

in 1995 I used one hand shooting because my other hand was fending off knife thrusts.

I recommend close range one handed shooting as a standard for every range session, weak handed too.
Old November 29, 2013, 04:18 AM   #28
Nnobby45

I would have figured that a discussion about one handed shooting would include proper grip. Guess not--so I'll ask the question:
THUMB UP OR DOWN? For me, I steady the gun more with thumb up pressing against grip. Thumb down handles recoil better.
Old November 29, 2013, 04:38 AM   #29
Jim243

I think Deaf has got it nailed, practice, practice, practice.

Strange, I have been shooting one handed most of my life and did not realize it.
When I start out from a draw it is always one handed shooting, until I do a mag exchange then some how the weak hand finds it's way to the pistol grip, mostly on targets further out, or on poppers.

Jim
Old November 29, 2013, 12:40 PM   #30
ezmiraldo

Nnobby45, to me thumbs-down position feels better. I can have a much firmer grip that way on the gun when shooting one-handed.
Old November 29, 2013, 07:16 PM   #31
Nnobby45

Thanks, Ezmiraldo.

Lots of folks want to talk about the importance of one handed shooting. I was just hoping more would share how they accomplish this important, potentially life saving tactic with re: to thumb UP or DOWN.
Old November 29, 2013, 07:45 PM   #32
ronl

Seems it wasn't that long ago that the Army Marksmanship team was taught to shoot with one hand. (Then again, maybe I am that old) The two-handed method of pistol shooting as taught by most has always irritated me to some degree. There are many advantages to shooting with one hand. Primarily, you expose 1/2 less target area to a potential adversary in a confrontation. There is also a great advantage when shooting around corners, as again you expose very little target area. In a high stress environment, you always revert to your training and it is a difficult thing to change once embedded, and shooting around a corner with two hands exposes too much of the body. The key to one hand shooting is the proper grip strength and stance. The key to limiting malfunctions is to absorb recoil without bending at the wrist or elbow. BTW, thumbs up is the proper way.
Old November 29, 2013, 09:23 PM   #33
Sarge

I decided to tune up my one handed shooting several years ago. Here's how I went about it. As it worked out, this particular skillset was easily summoned-up when a pit/mastiff mix tried to attack me and 3 kids, one of which had already been bitten by the damn thing.

My lessons learned:

A. One-hand shooting is a worthwhile skill to learn
B. If hitting with one hand is the prime objective, precision or bullseye shooting is a good a way as any to learn it
C. The skills acquired in precision shooting are easily transferable to use of the sidearm with one hand, under stress.

Of course, not everyone learns or adapts at the same rate. YMMV
Old November 30, 2013, 01:22 AM   #34
Nnobby45

Quote:
The key to one hand shooting is the proper grip strength and stance. The key to limiting malfunctions is to absorb recoil without bending at the wrist or elbow. BTW, thumbs up is the proper way.
Thank, good post
Old November 30, 2013, 06:45 AM   #35
ezmiraldo

I think the use of thumbs-up or thumbs-down grip depends on the size of one's hand, the size of the pistol, and location of controls on the pistol. The goal is to minimize the chance of malfunctions while having firm grip. One other consideration is that it would be better to have the same grip position - either thumbs-up or thumbs-down when shooting both single and two handed for consistency's sake.