The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
bamiller

Large primer vs. small primer powder

Fairly new to reloading and need veteran input. I've been loading .45 ACP with 5.2 gr Bullseye powder, 230 FMJ bullets, and CCI large pistol primers for range/target use. I have purchased some .45 small primer brass and want to load those for range/target use. My question is do I have to adjust the powder amount when switching to the small primers and if so, what amount of powder is recommended?
Old October 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

You will loose about 30 feet per second using small primers compared to large primers. If you are loading above the minimum you probably won't notice any difference. The main difference will be seen when you measure the bullet speed.

Make certain you have separated the small primer cases from the large when you start reloading. I do use both and I don't change my load when I switch from one to the other.

YMMV
Old October 1, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
moxie

Agree. No difference. Use the same loads.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 1, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
tkglazie

From a safety standpoint, I agree with the above. As long as you are not at the minimum you should be fine safety-wise. However, the only way to determine if your large primer recipe will give you max accuracy when used with small primers is to workup the load again just like if you were changing any other component.

If you are looking for a plinking load, sure, just swap components. If you are looking for max accuracy, the only way to get it is to work up the load again until you achieve max accuracy.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

No.