The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
ketland

Glock trigger jobs?

Recently I had the opportunity tho shoot some Glock pistols which had been given trigger jobs. Although the triggers were somewhat lighter pull, some of them felt kind of mushy. My question is, what can I expect a good glock trigger job to be like. Oh, and by the way, glad to be here, first post.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
g.willikers

The improvement you can expect from a "trigger job" can vary with the approach.
It can be just a lighter pull from a change of connector, to an entire replacement of everything associated with the trigger mechanism.
From ten dollars to half the cost of the gun.
Have you done a web search for "glock trigger", yet.
There's many choices out there.
Old August 24, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
ketland

Thank You G, I have done a search and am picking up some info. I would like to lighten the factory trigger on my G22, perhaps from doing a drop in of some type. I really do not want to break the bank on this, and I do not shoot competition so am not looking for that level of improvement, but something would be nice.
Old August 24, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
g.willikers

The 3 1/2 lb connector, from Ghost and others, is a low cost way to reduce the trigger pull weight.
It's a drop in part, easily done and only costs $13.
http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...-GENs-1-4.html
Smoothing the trigger bar end where it contacts the connector, and using a good lube there, will do an inexpensive decent trigger job.
And without changing the way the guns works or reducing reliability.
Old August 24, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
SDC

Because of the way the Glock trigger works, you will almost always be trading a shorter/crisper/heavier trigger pull for a longer/mushier/lighter trigger pull, so you need to find the balance that worksbest for you. The drop-in connectors simply change the angle that the trigger bar has to push against in order to drop out of alignment with the striker, and you can add various types of springs to change the "feel" as that happens. Some shooters I know prefer as light a trigger as possible, and don't mind the extra trigger travel this requires, while others add in a NY1 or 2 to give a more definite stop point, past which they know the pistol will fire.

Last edited by SDC; August 24, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:34 PM   #6
ketland

Thank you for those answers, that certainly explains a lot about why the lighter triggers on some of the glocks felt so squishy. Although I have been a lifelong shooter of both pistol and rifle, I have never been into the Glock system, until recently when I purchased a used but excellent condition G22, and really liked the feel and overall cleanliness of the design, not to mention that it carries well.That stock trigger is a bit too heavy for my taste.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #7
g.willikers

A word of caution when changing any springs, though.
All the springs in a gun are designed to work together and compliment one another.
Changing any one of them can alter the balance and cause problems.
Very often, other springs have to be changed, too, to maintain that balance.
It can get kind of complicated to maintain a properly working mechanism.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

"custom" Glock pistols...

For detailed & in-depth looks into custom Glock handguns, I'd read www.customizeyourglock.com or Robert Boatman's Living With book about Glock pistols.
The late Robert Boatman stated he didn't feel the need for most Glock semi-auto pistols to get trigger jobs.
A few custom shops & pistolsmiths are out there but for most purposes, a Glock can be factory stock.

Clyde
www.boatmanbooks.com
Old August 25, 2012, 02:08 PM   #9
jhenry

My duty piece came with the NY1 trigger which at that time was mandated by department policy. The policy rather quickly went away, and I had it switched out to a standard trigger. Personally I did not find the NY1 to be offensive at all, and in fact I used it in several matches with good results. I do like the standard trigger better. I have no use for radically altered Glock triggers or race guns.
Old August 25, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
amd6547

I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector in my G17 range gun, just as an experiment....I didn't find the improvement that great over a well broken in Glock trigger.
Lately, I have heard a lot of praise for the combination of the 3.5lb connector and the NY trigger spring. I may try it.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
ketland

Thank you for the great responses, today I was able to get my Brand new G34 out to the range, and I found the trigger on that to be just about exactly what I wanted, perhaps one pound lighter, yet a crisp break (compared to my G22). Now I would like to get the G22 into that zone, and you guys have given me some really valuable insights to that end, and I thank you for that.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Assuming your G22 is in the standard configuration (standard connector and springs), then the only difference between it and the G34 is the connector. The G34 comes standard with the 3.5lb (-) connector while the G22 comes standard with the 5.5lb standard connector.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
ClydeFrog

Glock "New York" triggers...

Noted author, tactics trainer & sworn LE officer; Massad Ayoob stated he used the "NY-1" format on his carry/duty Glock pistols.
I can see the merits of it but I'd still lean towards keeping the Glock trigger standard.
Gaston Glock's safe action has been going strong for nearly 30 years.

Clyde
Old August 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #14
TMD

On my G35 I have the factory 3.5# connector. I also went +1# on the trigger spring and -1# on the striker spring. This with a little polishing will give you about a 2.5-3.0# trigger pull and a much softer reset. I did then when the gun was new and replaced the springs at about 5000 rounds and now am up to about 10,000 rounds and getting ready to replace them again. I have yet to have a lite strike problem with any ammo or primers that I have tried. Some will swear that this is a receipt for disaster but I doubt the nawsayer are speaking from experience.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:38 AM   #15
ketland

Interesting, so the difference between the 22 and the 34 is the connector. I think that'll be my first stop then on road with the 22. Guess if I'm happy with that it'll be about the easiest fix going. What if I may ask, are the parts which are polished, and to what degree should the parts be worked? Is this the type of thing I should be looking for an instructional Y** tube video for?
Old August 27, 2012, 01:18 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

If you like the G34 the way it is, I wouldn't do anything other than replace the connector in the G22. The G34 hasn't had any polishing.

If you really feel like you need to polish the internals, don't get too aggressive. It's not possible to "unpolish" a part if you go overboard and take off too much metal. Polishing IS removing metal, just not very much at all--at least if it's done right.

There are certainly videos out there that give tips, but watch more than one to get a feel for things and to make sure that you don't accidentally pick one that gives bad advice.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:23 PM   #17
ketland

John, I do like the 34 the way it is, so as the saying goes, if it's not broken,....
I will try the 3.5 lb connector on the 22, and see how it goes. Is the connector something I can (or should) get from glock, or is there better aftermarket makers?
Old August 27, 2012, 07:20 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

There's not a lot of practical difference between the stock and aftermarket connectors. I prefer the stock connectors, but in the 3.5lb (-)configuration they are usually more expensive than aftermarket, and I'm not entirely sure that the price difference is worth it.

Here's a comparison between the two I did on another forum.

http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i....html#msg12531
Old August 27, 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
TMD

I prefer the factory -3.5 connector. I've tried LoneWolfs and a couple of others, not much different. As for what I polish, search the .25 cent trigger job. On my own I've learned through a little trial and error by ruining more than a few connectors, strikers, transfer bars and firing pin safteys.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:39 PM   #20
ketland

Nice write up John, so it looks like the consensus betwixt you and TMD is that the stock part is better, even if its just a little better, but that works for me.
By the way, on the subject of the 34, that pistol is really a pleasure to shoot.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:42 AM   #21
gdvan01

My G23 has the 3.5 connector, I'm happy with it.

Took a little Flitz and a clean rag and gave it a good rub down but that's about it.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old September 11, 2012, 04:23 PM   #22
ketland

Just put a Glock 3.5 lb disconnect into the trigger on my G22, and got just the result I was looking for. Now the trigger on the 22 is better than the trigger on my new 34, so I'll have to drop a 3.5'er into it.
Thank you to all for the help!
Old September 11, 2012, 08:31 PM   #23
ketland

Update.... Bought a Ghost ultimate connector for my 34, and put it in this afternoon. I prefer the Glock made 3.5 to the ghost ultimate, just my .02.