The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Super-Dave

How many rounds of trap or skeet do you do in a day?

I was wondering since I am new a this how many rounds of trap could a new person do before his shoulder starts to get soar?

How many rounds do you do in skeet or trap in a day?

George Orwell
Old February 4, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Having never spent much time shooting the dust birds, I am sure these guys will tell you the gun has as much to do with this as the ammo or number of shots fired...
If I had to use an NEF single shot... 10... not rounds but rather shots
Brent
Old February 4, 2009, 04:07 PM   #3
globemaster3

For a new person, start with 1-2 and work your way up. When I was shooting skeet competitively, the most I shot in one sitting was 6 if I recall correctly (and yes, that was straight 12 ga).

A major impact on this is if you are shooting the target loads and not something outsized. I used to see guys come to the range with hi-brass 4 & 6 to practice for pheasants. Ahem... They didn't shoot a lot of rounds.

Another input is weapon fit and format. Auto's absorb some of that recoil and a good fitting shotgun will beat you less in perceived recoil that an ill-fitting one.

Just my .02.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
BigJimP

4 is the minimum / occasionally 6 rounds - per range visit. I go once a week in winter / usually twice a week in the Spring - Fall. On weekends I used to shoot sporting clays tournaments of 100 targets ( but I've backed off the circuit last year or so ). So 8 - 12 rounds a week in summer / 4 - 6 rounds a week now. When I was shooting sporting - add another 4 rounds a week.

If your shoulder gets sore - it means you have some fundamental issues on the way you are mounting your gun / or the gun doesn't fit you properly.

However, a new shooter - should try and work on fundamentals - pre-mount gun practice in front of a mirror at home ( 30 times an evening ) at home. Mount with eyes closed - then open - and see where gun is pointing - and how your elbows and the position in your shoulder looks.

Another good drill at home - stand back 20 feet or so / focus on a light switch, or a book or something on a shelf - close your eyes - then mount the gun - and open your eyes. Do it 30 times or so - until you are pointing at the light switch when you open your eyes. Then go to the range.

Shoot a couple of rounds / track which targets you are missing ( on Trap ) which station / were they left or right or straight away / and keep a little notebook in your pocket. Look at it over 4 or 5 practice sessions - see where your issues are / back to funamentals - see why you're missing some shots - take a critical look at your issues ( you may be pushing the gun one way, picking your head up, off balance, not moving with your lower body and arm swinging, etc ) - and spend some time thinking thru those issues - vs worrying about how many lines of Trap or Skeet or whatever you shoot.

Its about quality of practice ( and having fun ) - not about how many lines you can shoot in 1 day. Although I will occasionally shoot 8 lines in a day - I find my mental limit is somewhere between 4 and 6 lines / when I reach my mental limit - I'm not really focused on shooting well / I'm just putting holes in the air and throwing shot downrange and I need to quit for the day. I usually take a 20 min break after shooting 2 lines / then shoot 2 more / 20 min break / then shoot 2 more etc .

Last edited by BigJimP; February 4, 2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
JWT

Normally shoot 4 rounds (100 targets / shots) each time I go. On occasion will shoot 6 or 8 rounds. I find that I get tired - physicially and mentally - someplace between 4 and 8 rounds. (Shooting a BT99, 12ga. with a Gra-coil and using 3 dram equiv. 1-1/8 shot)
Old February 4, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Chipperman

I usually do 3-4 rounds. My issue is time constraint, not a painful shoulder.
Old February 4, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
oneounceload

Trap, Skeet, 5-stand or sporting, my usual outing is 100-150 targets per day, which turns out to 4-6 rounds for me

even then, with LIGHT loads, I usually can shoot 250-300
Old February 4, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Waterengineer

100-150 is good for me.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9
USA123456789

I have done a 1000 round marathon in a day and then went to another 3 flats of shells and the club owner made me stop because it was getting late and he only signed up for 1500 ATA registered targets. And I planned on shooting 2500 that day but he wouldn;t let me :`(

The ATA if you don"t know what it is would be the Amateur Trapshooting Asso

All through a BROWNING XT I think that was the day I started to notice my pins started to do weird stuff.
^ ^^^^^

Highlighted for BigJim and other browning believers

USA USA USA USA
Old February 5, 2009, 01:23 AM   #10
olddrum1

If you reload, you can shoot all day without shoulder problems. i like to run 22 grains of IMR 7625 with an ounce of eights. I also like to run around 22grains of International clays with an ounce. I have to add though, the problem with this load is that if you use a Beratta or Browning, they will not reset the trigger reliably. I run these through two SKBs when shooting skeet and sporting clays. They chrono around 1150 fps and are pretty easy on your shoulder.
Old February 5, 2009, 01:52 AM   #11
olddrum1

Whoops, You mentioned trap. Zippy 13 once mentioned boomers and bangers in a post. When I shoot trap everything is just the oppisite of what I just posted. 1 1/8 ounce of fast 7 1/2s. I have a place that during the week in the afternoon I will be the only shooter there. I will sit a flat on the number one station 27 yard line and not take a break until I have emptied the flat. I have had days when I am not happy with what I have done where I have shot the better of three flats in an afternoon. What helps my shoulder is that my shotgun has a factory tuned recoil system with an adjustable rib where I can shoot in a more natural stance. the cheek piece is adjustable to the right where I can stand without alot of fatigue, IE the gun fits.
Old February 6, 2009, 06:39 PM   #12
zippy13

There's also the blast effect: Six rounds of Skeet practice (frequently w/ small guns) is much easier than 6 rounds of 12-ga trap from a noise stand point. While shooting Skeet, you're behind the other shooters, with trap they are flanking you. Throw in a guy with a cutts or short barreled HD gun, and your trap experience leaves you feeling that you've had your bell rung.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:57 PM   #13
perazzimx14

My personal best is me and two buddies shot 1700 ATA doubles each.

I am almost to the point that I shoot only marathon targets (minium 1000 per day) other than the PA State Shoot.

I shoot a Perazzi MX-14 with a Precision fit stock.It recoils like a 410 and be shot all day with no ill effects to the shoulder.

Shell(s) of choice, Federal Gun Club or Estate's 1-1/8 ounce of 7.5's, 2-3/4 dram. Buy them buy the skid.

My goal is to shoot 2000 someday.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:24 PM   #14
8t6gt

My limitation is money in my pocket. I run outa clays and shells way before my shoulder goes out. And thats out of my pump 12 gauge. I could shoot twice as many with my semi auto 12.
Old February 24, 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
bsbllrooster10

Until i'm broke

I have a benelli super black eagle II with the comfortech stock and i could shoot that thing all day if i had the money to do so.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:37 PM   #16
crowbeaner

A lot depends on just WHAT I'm shooting as far as how many reloads I send down range. If I'm shooting hot sporting clays loads that start at 1310 fps. and an ounce and an eighth of lead, 2 rounds may be more than enough. If I'm shooting mouse poop loads of an ounce at 1200 or less I may be able to shoot 4 rounds. It all has to do with how tender my poor old shoulder feels and whether or not I can hit anything on that particular day. I'm no wuss when it comes to recoil, but even I know if I'm trembling after the first round, I won't be much good on the second scorecard. If you need further proof of just how fast is fast with an ounce and an eighth, take a look at Hodgdon's basic reloaders guide and the warp drive loads with Longshot powder. WOOF!
Old February 24, 2009, 10:08 PM   #17
johnnyeastside

The first time I ever shot my gun I shot 100 rounds with an old pro-range thrower on private property. My shoulder hurt the next day. The next weekend, another 100 rounds, but I didn't feel it the next day.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:51 PM   #18
Ricky B

I'm with BigJimP. If you're doing it right, you won't be limited by soreness; it will be a question of time or money or ability to concentrate.

Some suggestions.

1. Make sure the gun fits you right.

2. Make sure you mount the gun right.

3. Shoot target loads. No more than 1-1/8 oz. of shot and 3 dr. eq. (1200 fps); 2-3/4 dr. eq. (1145 fps) is better.

4. Wear a shooting vest with a front shoulder pocket for a recoil pad (like the Reactor pad that Browning sells for inserting in vests).

5. Wear hearing protection (as well as eye protection).
Old February 25, 2009, 09:55 AM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
My goal is to shoot 2000 someday.
Then get yourself down to Argentina where you can shoot as much as your wallet allows. IIRC, there was a story of someone setting the record - over 5,000 in one day. Your perazzi will work fine for that....
Old February 25, 2009, 11:50 PM   #20
.300 Weatherby Mag

I normally shoot 3-4 rounds... This is due to time constraints and not my shoulder...