The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1
FatBoyAl

Nova wins for me

After looking at 870's, 500/590's and the others, for the price, Benelli got my money. I really liked the feel and action of the Nova Tactical and I liked how easy it was to break down. Plus, it IS a Benelli (no offense to any of the "big 4").
I would have liked a tad shorter and maybe a pistol grip, but really, if it ever comes down to it, I think I'm gonna hit the guy across the room just as easy with the Benelli stock and the extra 1-2" of OAL. Perhaps, if it happens in the hallway, I might regret the length, but then I'll just wait in the family room!
Forestock does rattle a tad and I thought about that and possibly giving away my position, but in an HD situation, I'm not sure how important that's all gonna be.
I mean, here's the scenario, it's 2am and something woke me. Something that wakes me in a way that I grab my shotty. I'm (and my possible assailant)in my house. Me rattling the forestock might scare him off. If he hears it and it's giving away my position, then we're prolly in the same room. If we are, that's the last sound he's ever hearing anyway.
I'm not planning on chasing him out the door or using it to blast my way through doors to get to my attacker - kinda makes me the attacker in my eyes if I'm doing that (of course, barring the incident where he's in my kids room and I have to get in to stop him and I'm really not convinced the way in is blasting).
Did I miss something here? Reading this board and others has me convinced there's a bunch of you out there who will say "well, what about" and come up with a one-in-a-million situation, but again, the way I'm seeing it, me having to actually pump and blast is going to be that one-in-a-million.
So anyway, really happy and just grinning and griping during the ten day.
Browning BuckMark Plus

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the weapons to change the things I can and a bulletproof vest in case I'm wrong

Last edited by FatBoyAl; June 25, 2005 at 10:35 PM. Reason: too many "anyway"s
Old June 26, 2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Go shoot it until it's a body part. BA/UU/R.....