The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1
AKRanger

Buffing off Ruger Rifle safety warnings.

I have a Ruger mk77 Stainless rifle that I would like to do two things to. The first is to buff off the safety message that ruger puts on all their rifles. For some reason it really pisses me off. Anyways, is there way to buff that off without making the rifle look distorted? Secondly, I would like to dull the finish as it is to bright and shiny for my liking. Can I just sand blast or bead blast it? I talked to a local gunsmith about it and he said it would cause the stainless finsih to rust. That didn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyways, have others done this? What kind of success have you had. What size bead should I use? I have a Zeiss stainless scope that I would like to match the finish to. Any ideas....Thanks in advance.
Old May 1, 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
mete

Bead blasting, sand blasting ,machining and polishing cause the stainless steel to rust only when they use the same beads etc for both carbon and stainless.The beads are then contaminated with carbon steel and cause rusting of the stainless.Tell him to use NEW beads.A uniform removal on lathe is the proper way to remove the lettering but then you'll have a gap between the barrel and stock.
Old May 1, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
DnPRK

If you remove the barrel to put it in a lathe, then you might a want to consider replacing the cheap Ruger barrel with a real barrel from Shilen or one of the other makers.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:47 AM   #4
Wildalaska

Ditto shilen (or walther or pac nor or lilja or hart), why pay to get the cruddy Ruger bbl messed with

Quote:
Bead blasting, sand blasting ,machining and polishing cause the stainless steel to rust only when they use the same beads etc for both carbon and stainless
Nope, dont happen

WildstainlesssquealAlaska
Old May 4, 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

Buffing off warnings

Dear Shjooter:
DO NOT buff, grind, lathe, or sand on that side of the barrel! Don't do it, period!
You will end up with a mess and a bbl that will expand irregularly and possibly shift as it heats. I know, I don't like that writing either, and I don't like the idea that we, as knowledgeable shooters need to send for the instruction manual! BOLDERDASH!
I'm not criticizing anyones ideas but I don't feel this is a good thing to do to your fine gun.
Harry B.
Old May 4, 2005, 04:41 PM   #6
DT Guy

Next time don't buy a rifle designed by a lawyer.

(Ducks....)

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old May 5, 2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Romulus

Quote:
Nope, dont happen
Actually it does. Beads used on carbon steel will contaminate stainless upon subsequent use.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old May 5, 2005, 04:23 PM   #8
Wildalaska

OK just so its clear...we blast everything in the same blast box using the same media (aluminum is a separate tank). We have no rusting problems with stainless caused by the process, none whatsoever, nada, zilch, never. We easily blast 300-500 stainless guns a year and easily 300-500 chrome moly ones.

Of course all the stain less guns are carefully cleaned afterwards.

WildandthatsthatAlaska
Old May 5, 2005, 04:55 PM   #9
Romulus

Don't mean to be pedantic, folks...so I apologize in advance. I work in the water/wastewater field. Blasting operations for carbon steel and ductile iron pipe are separated from blasting operations for stainless water and process piping. Rust will in fact form on stainless if the blasting media was at some time used on carbon steel. Such oxidation/contamination can't be had on the stainless pipe normally used for filtrate conveyance, so state regulations as well as engineering specs mandate that blast media used on carbon steel not be used on stainless, as the stainless will rust as a result and contaminate treated drinking water. I'm sure that base metallurgy might affect the extent of the rusting, but you can be sure that it will occur.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old May 5, 2005, 05:28 PM   #10
mete

This has been known [by us metallurgists at least ]for many years. Properly the stainless should also have a 'passivating' treatment which is done with acids .This removes contaminents on the surface and builds a thicker protective oxide on the surface.