The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
SundownRider

Looking to move IL to TN

In response to a lot of "Can't blame you there!" I will say I have finally had enough. I have had enough of the politics and the taxes and the hypocrisy. I am tired of a city running the state, and am looking to get the heck out. I don't want to be 65 wishing I had gone when I was 45.

I have always enjoyed Tennessee, and I'm in a position to be able to move without too much stress. House isn't underwater and would sell quickly in the area I live in. (Will need to secure a job first)

How are the gun laws in TN? Any good places that do IDPA? Any places I should avoid? I have relatives in the far southern end of the state (around the TVA area)

Anyone know of anyplace looking for a teacher or principal? Just a hope.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old March 16, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

It's been a while, but Mrs. McGee and I used to live in Nashville, TN once upon a time when we were newlyweds. It was a nice place to live, too. Here's a good place to start: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf
Old March 16, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
JagFarlane

Not TN but in Roanoke, VA they're in such need of math teachers the school is offering a $5k signing bonus to new hires.

The fiancee is an escapee from IL too and while the laws and such weren't her primary reasons for leaving they helped with the desire to leave when she got the chance.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
KMAX

Congrats on your decision. I am sure there are a lot of good folks in IL, but then there are the others. I wouldn't want to live there for the reasons you have stated. Good luck in your move.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old March 16, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Ben Towe

Nashville is like any city, it has it's good and bad, but outside of a few rough neighborhoods, it's a pretty nice place. Knoxville seems nice as well. I would avoid Memphis. Guns laws are good, though TBI background checks at the gun shops will cost you $10.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Petespacking

I can't blame you! I've had it with Illinois. We are retiring next year and can't wait to get out if this crappy state. Gas ripoffs, stupid gun laws and high taxes. Texas here we come!!
Old March 16, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
ChasingWhitetail91

I'll be joining you in TN this summer. Moving in with a long time buddy down in either Hickman County or Ashland City. Goodbye CT!
Old March 16, 2013, 10:50 AM   #8
SundownRider

I've enjoyed my time around Nashville, had a friend who lived in Hendersonville.
I just like the idea of living in a state where very time I step outside I say "Wow."

I'm a rural kind of guy, but my wife is more of a suburb girl. There's so much to like in TN. (Waffle House!)

I like the idea of having some land, but I'm willing to travel to a gun club if needed.

Not worried about rough areas, I've worked in some of the worst around here. I'll take whatever I can find to get me and my sons out of this state.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
Old March 16, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Yankee Traveler

Clarksville is very nice. A small town feel but 150,000 residents. with Ft Campbell a major factor at the edge of the city there are many current and retired soldiers around. And very good for the local economy. 45 minutes to Nashville for all the nightlife, sports (Preds & Titans), larger hospitals, etc.
Ashland City is about halfway between. Not a bad location at all. I ran the Muddy Buddy here last year.

Montgomery County Shooting Complex is a great range that has almost everything including great staff. I mean great staff.
I called to see if they had any 45 acp before I went shooting on MLK day, I did not know that they were "closed" they were only catching up on paperwork. They brought me in anyway, I had the place to myself! They said they did not want to see a fellow shooter not be able to shoot!!!

Weather is great, people are great, gun ownership is great. Concealed carry permits are running a little behind right now but thats the nature of our times.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
10P8TRIOT

I was born in Chicago and grew up in the 'burbs. Moved to W. Lafayette, IN to go to school and then to East Tennessee after graduation. We're in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns, not far from NC and even closer to VA. If you follow NASCAR, you're familiar with Bristol, which is about 15 minutes up the road. We're in the reddest part of a bright red state. Romney/Ryan carried over 70% of the vote in my neck of the woods. Gun laws are decent as we are a shall issue state with no registration or waiting period. There is no distinction between concealed and open carry and our Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) permits both. I really like Tennessee and would never consider moving back to Illinois.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
22-rimfire

TN is a great state if you have a job. I would look Nashville east.... I would avoid Memphis personally. But the job usually defines where you go ultimately as far as I'm concerned.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Patriot86

Good luck in TN! It is a beautiful place I wish I had more time to visit. I am also an Illinois Resident, looking to jump the border to WI in another couple of years.

Edit: Its amazing how many of these moving from Illinois threads I have read as of late, we really are the new California!
Even though I am still a young guy TN and WVA are already on my short list for retirement!
Old March 18, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
southjk

Interesting how people are saying to avoid Memphis but give no reason why. I live in and love Memphis. Does it have problems? Sure, what big city doesn't. Since the new Mayor has taken over there is a feeling of things changing for the better around here. Don't rule out Memphis. That said, I do like Nashville also and if you're looking for a smaller town feel check out Chattanooga.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:42 PM   #14
22-rimfire

I would avoid Memphis due to crime issues. But if I landed a good job there, I'd move there. There are places around Memphis that have much lower crime.

The main reason I would not go out of my way to choose Memphis is the terrain. Everything I like is hours away. Guess I would spend a fair amount of time in Arkansas like I used to.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:54 PM   #15
silvrjeepr

Looking to move IL to TN

Take a hard look at Tipton county about 30 miles northeast of Memphis. I've lived here just about a year now, and the best word to describe it is Mayberry. Reasonable gun laws, great schools, and friendly people make this place a really nice rural place to live. Really nice indoor pistol ranges are about 15 minutes away in Millington, and a sporting clay range second to none is in tunica about an hour away. Choose your area correctly (outside of town of course), and you can have your own rifle range in your back yard. Our church has a gun club also
Old March 18, 2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

I am a born and raised Memphian, and I'm totally ashamed of the city now. It's Chicago south.
Knoxville is pretty bad, too. The rest of the state is OK.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: removed vulgarity.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:36 PM   #17
22-rimfire

The thing about Knoxville is the higher crime areas of town are typically off the beaten path if you travel the interstates. Chattanooga has it's bad areas too... just find the projects and you found the crime areas.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #18
zTimbo

Looking to move IL to TN

I live in the north part of MS and work in memphis. I lived in Memphis for exactly 14 months a couple years ago. I'm a rural kind of guy and when I lived in memphis I hated it, but I was living in an apartment.

I actually almost moved to Nashville earlier in the year, but things just didn't pan out as I had hoped. IMHO Nashville is a better place to be than memphis and leaps and bounds better than being in Illinois.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Iron Man

Come to Kentucky! It's beautiful here and we are extremely gun friendly.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:58 AM   #20
SundownRider

KY is on the short list as well. Seriously, any of the surrounding states is better than IL.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:16 AM   #21
22-rimfire

I like KY a lot as well. If I had my own business and was not dependant on an urban location to support that business, I would move to the Corbin KY area. Trips to Knoxville or Lexington are easy. I really like the mountains East of there, but living in "Eastern KY" is a different kind of experience if you are an outsider. If you weren't born there, you are an outsider. Even after 10 years of living in that area, you're still an outsider. So, I moved to TN for job opportunities, but frequently drive to Eastern KY because I like it so much.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:24 AM   #22
southjk

Quote:
I would avoid Memphis due to crime issues.
Any large city is going to have crime issues. I have lived in Memphis for 43 years and have never been a victim of any crime (except for having my glasses stolen out of my unlocked jeep once), my family has never been a victim of any crime and my friends have never been a victim of any crime. Yes, there is crime, yes there are large parts of the city to avoid but that is exactly what you do. Don't live in the bad parts of town or hang out in those areas.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:13 AM   #23
KCampbell

Re: Looking to move IL to TN

We would be glad to have you!I would recommend checking out Maryville Tn in Blount county.Not to big and not to small,right at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.Lots of stuff to do and gun friendly.The only other place I would even consider living other than here would be Texas
ORSA has IDPA also about 30 min away

Last edited by KCampbell; March 20, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Yankee Traveler

TN or KY

TN has higher sales tax, but not any income tax. KY has the income tax, but less sales tax.

Does it make a difference? Depends on how much you shop. If your a new big screen every other year kind of person, it might sway you one way, if your prtty simple and only buy what you need, no income tax may leave a little extra in your wallet at the end of the year.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:41 PM   #25
Skans

Tennessee is very gun-friendly. Everyone carries and firearms are just part of life there. I sometimes think about moving to Tennessee.