The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2011, 04:04 AM   #26
bamaranger

denmark?

For a 50 pound animal w/ a .243, would a FMJ be legal and feasible in denmark. Certainly limit damage. Fifty pounds is not that big, like medium dog big, big coyote big.

Thinking an .243 FMJ might be all that would be needed if legal. Heck 50 pounds is near varmint size, but yhou'd want to eat it, so no expansion.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:37 AM   #27
Jack O'Conner

The 95 grain bullet is the way to go. Slightly higher velocity and slightly better accuracy. This young buck was taken at approx 275 yards in Butte County, South Dakota. I shot it with 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Ghastly damage to the chest organs!!

Jack
Old August 5, 2011, 07:50 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

bamaranger, I use rather explosive bullets in my .243. I've yet to hurt any of the eating parts of a deer, which to me are the shoulders, backstraps and hams. My load does horrible things to 35-pound coyotes, but a chest-cavity shot does not harm the shoulders, backstraps and hams--not that I plan on dining on Wily Coyote.
Old August 15, 2011, 08:04 PM   #29
publius

I really like Core-Lokt's.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:16 PM   #30
FrontSight

Quote:
Mine shoots Remington Cor-lokt 100gr. near moa. I have killed several deer with that round. There might be better but I tried them first and they were accurate enough. If your just hunting the cor-lokt is great hunting ammo.
Bama, I just killed a gator on Fri with that load

Will post a video as soon as I can, but it will be a while...
Old August 17, 2011, 11:15 AM   #31
Big Pard

I have had great success with the Federal Game-Shok 100gr in my BAR 243. Its accurate, reliable, and cheap. But like others have said, it really comes down to what the rifle likes best and it helps if the rifle likes bullets on the heavy end (95-100gr).
Old August 17, 2011, 07:17 PM   #32
chuckscap

I like the 105g Speer spitzers (do they still make them?). I used to load them to just over 3000 fps with IMR 4350. They shot nickel sized groups and accounted for about 20 deer and 3 elk before I moved up to a 270 (found a grizzly sitting on my elk in the Bob Marshall, convinced me I needed a bigger gun lol). Great expansion and penetration, not expensive either. 100g CoreLokts are a good option as well.

P.S. Guess they still make them, here's a link with reviews ...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=312950