The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
musketman

most accurate loads for a CVA inline ?

I recently purchased a new CVA elkhorn inline with a Bergara barrel on it. It is my first inline, but I've been shooting sidelocks for about 30 years. In Washington state we can only hunt with all lead conicals, all lead bullets in sabots or round balls. The bullets can't be jacketed, but they can have a polymer tip. I was hoping that some of you that have similar rifles could let me know what the most accurate loads are for your CVA rifle. Then I will go to the range and have some fun ! Thans in advance.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Doyle

When I had my CVA, it liked 100 grns of loose 777 under a 50/45 Hornady SST in a low-drag sabot.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:50 PM   #3
FrontierGander

elk horn does not have the bergara barrel but it shoots conicals just as good.

All lead conical, I would look at the 350-370gr tc maxiball or maxihunter, 385gr great plains bullet. There are also bullshop conicals but you have to know the bore diameter.

Also pick up a package of those felt wads to try behind the bullets *maxiball-maxihunter*

I'd also go with Pyrodex RS.

Can the projectile have a polymer gas check attached to the bullet? If so, The all lead powerbelt is another choice.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:29 PM   #4
simonkenton

50/45 Hornady SST

jacketed
Old March 8, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
musketman

FrontierGander,
Thanks for your reply, I'll have to try some all lead conicals next time at the range. The reason that I stated that this Elkhorn has a Bergara barrel is because it has a Bergara barrel stamp on the barrel. I called CVA and they said if the gun has a Bergara stamp on the barrel then it is made by them. It turns out that in some of the 07 and 08 Elkhorns they put Bergara barrels on them. I tried some dead center 250 gr. 50/44 recently with 80 gr. 777 2f and the first two shots were almost dead center in the bullseye at 50 yds. The shots after these were all over the place, even with wiping between shots. Does this mean that this bullet likes a very clean barrel or maybe there is some plastic deposit that I'm not getting out when wiping between shots? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
FrontierGander

oh wow thats awesome to know.

first 2 shots being dead on and then the next shots being all over the place could be that it likes a clean barrel.

Try this "may have to do some ordering!!"

240gr XTP "it has copper but this is just for accuracy testing" 100gr PyrodexRS. Buy some Harvester MMP-12 sabots. These load snug but will more than likely shoot very tight groups.

i think you'd have some really good results with the TC maxihunters and a 80 to 90gr RS charge.

Im not a huge T7 fan due to the constent headaches it gave me from one range outing to the next.