The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

Die problems.

I just bought a set of Redding dies fron sinclair. http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...8X1&type=store.

I'm having trouble using the neck sizing die. When I put the bushing in ( I think i put it in right) The sleeve will not slide up all the way even when i don't have the bushing in the sleeve wont slide up all the way. I backed off the micrometer but that hasn't helped. Is there an extra piece in the die i have to take out when i put the bushing in?

When I tried to seat a bullet it will not stay in place ( Just testing out the seating die) , is this because i need to neck size the casing?
Old June 23, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have yet to try one of the Competion neck-sizing dies, but in principle it is obvious that with chambers being all different sizes, the sliding sleeve will pick up fireformed cases from different guns at different depths of insertion. The first question is, when you set up the die, were you able to set it so the sleeve moved all the way in with no cartridge case present? If it is unable to go all the way in with no cartridge case present, you need to give Redding a call on Monday. For an experiment, I suppose you could try it with the bushing removed?

Also, is the decapping stem set properly? Too far down, and your brass will run into the decapping pin chuck before the die goes all the way home. Too far up, and the expander ball could jam the brass in the bushing's throat. I'd have to inspect one of these to see if that error is possible to make with it?

I would give Redding a phone call on Monday and have them walk you through the setup. This should be a very good die set. I have used the Competition Seaters since they first came out, and the difference has been night and day compared with standard seaters.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 23, 2007, 01:50 PM   #3
kirbymagnum

The sleeve will not move without the bushing in it or when there is no cartridge in it. I will have to call Redding monday.