The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
benedict1

Lee Classic Turret Press--Index ratchet gear, Turret Indexing and Proper turret alig

There seems to be real confusion about turret alignment and the role the square, nylon ratchet plays in rotation of the index rod on The Lee Classic Turret Press. An experienced reloading friend who has one of these presses, as I and many others do, put together a brief writeup to clear up why the ratchet is made of the material it is; what it does; how to align the turret, if necessary, and NOT strip the nylon ratchet; and how to replace it if needed. In normal use the ratchet should last for years but if abused through wrong attempts to correct turret misalignment it will be damaged.

Remember, the press also carries a two year warranty. If you should have trouble with a ratchet gear call Lee and ask for a couple of replacements under the warranty.

THIS APPLIES TO THE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS or older models of the 4-hole press also. It does NOT apply to a 3-hole turret press; they are adjusted in another manner.
--------------------------***********************-------------------------------------
Open the attachment by clicking the link below. If you use Notepad to open make sure the Word Wrap option is on or you lose the formatting.
--------------------------***********************-------------------------------------
Many of us have tried to help new press owners with this issue and we hope that this will go a long way toward solving the problem.
Old June 5, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2
ShootingNut

I Don't Have The Answer

But, there must be a better design/material, to eliminate the problem that many (including myself) have had with the Lee Classic Turret Press.
The Press is a mechanical machine, you shouldn't have to "handle it with kid gloves" to get the expected results. That is, the Turret stopping exactly where it is supposed to ALL the time. Otherwise, as you know the casing comes up crashing into the bottom of the Die, not exactly a smooth operation in my book.
So, I realize what I have said, will encourage you (Benedict1) to take my head off. I appreciate very much what you have in the past done to try and help me and others, but I do feel something is lacking in Lee's design.
Regards,
Old June 5, 2007, 07:20 PM   #3
benedict1

As to the design, you have to take that up with Lee. I didn't make it. I'm just trying to figure out how to help people use it to its full potential.

I and many, many other users are loading 100s of rounds per week with the press, with no trouble.

You ought to send your thoughts to the people at Lee. Maybe they can explain better why they made it the way they did. I just asked my friend to record his observations so we help out.
Old June 7, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4
870pilot

thanks benedict... i had a question, you/your friend answered it... i also PM'd ya about a couple of more lee-related questions.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:06 PM   #5
amamnn

A dozen or so experienced users of the Lee turret presses both deluxe and classic in this neck of the woods fixed the indexing problem long, long ago. We took off the auto-indexing parts and recycled them.
Old June 11, 2007, 06:47 AM   #6
870pilot

it worked...

called lee on monday regarding new plastic ratchet gears which i gota say, were mangled partly becuase of the poor directions that came with the product (always hold the indexing road steady when removing the turret and lift the ram a couple of inches when removing the turret and manually turning the turret) and on friday six of the ratchets arrived, free of course...

i learned one thing when installing the new part... guys are having a hell of a time getting that little square into the index collar... i slid the new part on the index rod, used the road as a holder, then slipped both rod and ratchet into the collar as a unit and slid it carefully over the ram!

simple! no hassle, tweezers, or cussin'

as far as recycling the auto-indexing parts, i bought an indexing turret press that should "index" and without that, you have a single stage turret press, no acceptable...

and yes, by installing the new part, and not short strokin or removing/moving the turret with the ram totally down, i loaded about 250 rounds flawlessly...

i am back
Old June 11, 2007, 08:17 AM   #7
benedict1

Great technique to put the gear in! Wish I had though of that.

Glad you are back on line. I agree those directions are not the best, which is why I always recommend that article from surplusrifle.com that is also referenced at the Lee website under the product description for the Classic Turret Press.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

You may not have to replace that gear again for years.
Old June 11, 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
870pilot

benedict

of course i'll never have to replace that gear again

now that i have six hanging on the pegboard

oh well, live and learn

and i did get the lee tech that i spoke with to admit that the instructions provided were not the best in the land

i'm starting to reload .223 pretty soon, so another learning curve comes

someday a loadmaster