The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Phxdog

Two Misfires in 500 Magnum

Yesterday I shot 50 rounds of reloads in my 500 mag. Of those 50, I had 2 rounds that failed to fire. Never had that happen before. The firing pin depression was the same on all rounds fired. Same brand of primers (CCI #200 Large Rifle) I have always used.

In searching my mind for possible causes, I remembered that I had prepared and primed those 50 cases, then put them away (no powder or bullet) into a small paper bag. I finished loading them about 2 weeks later. I've never done that before.

Is it possible that the primers 'went bad' while sitting that long? All of the cases still had a light residual case lube from the decapping/forming process; could that have an impact? Anybody have a thought?
Old April 22, 2007, 10:34 PM   #2
snuffy

Primers don't "go bad" after being seated, any more than they would sitting in their sleeve waiting to be seated. BUT, case lube HAS been known to de-activate primers.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 22, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
mrawesome22

You fire shells that have case lube on them? It was nice talking to you before you blew yourself up. LOL You have to get that stuff off buddy
Old April 23, 2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Phxdog

Quote:
You fire shells that have case lube on them?
Sorry, I guess I did not make my problem clear . . . the rounds (referd to in my post) sat primed but not charged for a time with residual case lube on the brass. After the rounds were charged they are always cleaned and free of lube. But thanks for the heads-up anyway.
Old April 23, 2007, 06:09 PM   #5
kingudaroad

My guess would be that the primers were not quite seated all the way. Did you try to shoot them again after the failure? If they shoot the second time, they have been fully seated by the firing pin, thus the primer dent.

I don't believe it takes much for it to happen either. Just a little minute amount of space between the primer anvil and the bottom of the primer cup.
Old April 24, 2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Phxdog

That looks like the problem. Thanks, Kingudaroad!