The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 8, 2000, 01:23 PM   #26
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Johndog, my Marlin is a sweetie. Recoil is minimal and I can bench it all day long. But you're right, a .22 would be a bit less... traumatic, shall we say, to the bunnies.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 8, 2000, 02:51 PM   #27
dZ

true bunny hunt story

My brother and i were out with dad & the Britneys hunting pheasants. While skirting a fence line we chased out a cottontail. It ran 30 feet and froze in a bush in plain sight. We stalked up on him and my brother took aim with his 20 gauge. Then we backed up, and backed up again. Satisfied at our range, my brother fired. Boom! There was hardly enough left of mr. rabbit to hang for the crows!

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"
Old February 13, 2000, 01:59 AM   #28
weegee

dZ's comment, "the hunt makes us realize where we are" nails it. We are no more human and no more in touch with nature than when we are hunting.

Could I suggest squirrel hunting as a first endeavor? I consider it to be the true essence of hunting; you have to either learn to stalk, or learn to be very still and quiet; the marksmanship issues are comparable to a typical deer hunt; and as I like to say, it's difficult enough to present a challenge, but easy enough to hold your interest.

Most importantly, find some friendly folks to take you hunting--whatever the species--and you will have fun, and understand...