The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 29, 2002, 08:26 PM   #1
Therapydude

Need help with ID of H&R .22 break-open revolver

Can anyone out there help me identify the model number of an old H&R revolver? It is a self-ejecting, break-open, .22 revolver; 3" barrel, double action/single action (with visible hammer). Very old, unsure as to when it was manufactured. Serial # is 352822. Only engraving on the weapon is the serial # on the butt and the words "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Warcester, MASS, USA" across the top rib of the barrel. Left side has engraving of "22 RIM FIRE" Has black (plastic?) grips with a small emblem of a target with 5 bullet holes in the top portion of each grip half. Would greatly appreciate any help with identifying the model # of this weapon. Thanks.
Old September 29, 2002, 08:28 PM   #2
Therapydude

Forgot to mention it has a 7 shot cylinder. Thanks.
Old September 29, 2002, 10:08 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

As far as I know, there is no H&R serial number information available. They made several models of 7 shot .22 revolvers on .32 frames. The only one that was break top, short barrel, and had an outside hammer, was one they called the Premier. That one dates back to around 1900 and would fit your description. The target was an H&R trademark.

Value, in like new condition, would be under $100; in average condition, half that or less. Some parts are available, but would require fitting which, if done by a gunsmith, would cost a lot more than the gun is worth.

If the gun is a family heirloom, keep it as that, but buy a modern gun for shooting.

Jim
Old October 1, 2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Therapydude

Thanks for the help. The weapon has a lot of sentimental value for my dad (this revolver belonged to his grandfather). We recently acquired the weapon from another family member. The condition of the gun was horrible (almost all of the springs had been removed from the gun). I need the model number to begin our quest of finding parts to restore this firearm. Thanks again for the help.
Old October 2, 2002, 11:31 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Lots of luck. Some of the parts from the H&R breaktops might fit with some work. But generally, finding any parts for that gun would be pretty tough. The trigger spring replacement wire springs are about impossible to fit. The Wolff springs are better, but also a nightmare to fit. Fixing it up to work is no job for an amateur and having a gunsmith work on it would cost hundreds of dollars if one would even tackle the job (most won't).

About a year ago, I put a new trigger spring and hammer spring in an old H&R for a friend. I did it gratis, and never told him the full story, but I had to buy two Wolff kits, and spent a couple of days on the trigger spring alone. Had I charged him gunsmith rate, the bill would have been over $500 on a $50 gun. But I owed him a big favor, and he wanted the old gun fixed.

Believe me when I suggest just hanging yours on the wall.

Jim