The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 23, 2016, 03:50 PM   #26
NHSHOOTER

a 223 traveling at 3000 fps hitting a golf ball with a plastic shell and foam core, really? The bullet goes through and into the sand bank..Are you really asking that question?
Old March 24, 2016, 09:14 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I had read that golf balls make good targets for 22 lr shooting.
Quote:
a 223 traveling at 3000 fps hitting a golf ball with a plastic shell and foam core, really? The bullet goes through and into the sand bank..Are you really asking that question?
Yes. Are we talking 223, 22lr, or whatever someone reading this happens to have close at hand?
Quote:
No more worried than when it hits the edge of a 2x4, or tree, or the ground.
I guess that is part of why I have never used any of those targets for target practice and make sure to hang my target so the bullet has a good chance of impacting the berm perpendicular to its path and not the ground at a low angle. I would be surprised if a 2X4 or tree is nearly as hard as some golf balls. Some designed for distance are pretty hard.

I've never shot bowling pins either. For much the same reason. I also check the berm directly behind my target for rocks and other debris before I shoot. If I was out west and could set up somewhere with miles of space behind the berm I would probably try some of these things out. I've seen two home ranges in Ohio with occupied structures less than 200 yards beyond the berm.
About two years ago there was a news report of a guy shooting across the highway into a building. I think it was a school that was out of session. Later, I heard what actually happened was he was shooting falling steel targets and the bullets were being deflected up at a ~45* angle or such. Probably a whole bunch went over the highway into a neighborhood landing in peoples yards/trees/attics. I'm not sure the tail end of that story is true, only that at least one bullet went over the highway into a school, but the scenario doesn't seem impossible.

In a good year, when 22lr is always on the shelf and the paychecks come steady, I'll put 5,000+ rounds down range. I'm sure many here shoot a lot more. Low percentage possibilities come into play.

I'm not saying no one should be doing it or that it is incredibly dangerous, but combined with some posts here, one of which was something like 'a round bale is sufficient back-stop for my 30-06' then after being told absolutely not, 'what if it is wet,' I think it is worth making a point of there being some risks involved.
Old March 24, 2016, 09:21 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

For reference:
Round bales for backstop? What about two? Wet?
Old March 24, 2016, 11:18 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You can get used range balls off ebay for really cheap if your patient. And modern golf balls have solid cores, no rubber strings.
I buy golf balls in bulk for my golf ball launcher.
While not as cheap as some of the auction sites or self-collection options, I get 100% the same type of ball, hand sorted for condition (or resurfaced), shipped to me in about 3 days.

I think the last batch (360 ea Top Flite "Grand Tour" range balls) ran me $53, including shipping. So, for about 15 cents apiece, I have nice, consistent projectiles for the golf ball launcher.

But, of course, if I were using them as targets, I'd opt for the reject balls that are mix-and-match and half the price.

I'd probably just grab a 25-lb sack of potatoes, though. Around here, the 10-lb sacks are often on sale for $0.99-1.99; and the 25-pounders can be found during the summer for under $4.
More explody.
Biodegradable.
No trash to pick up.
Old March 25, 2016, 12:20 AM   #30
43mauser

old bowling pins.
attack a spring to the bottom. and a stand to keep them up right after getting hit.
last almost forever. (hit one with my 43 mauser it kinda broke), but still usable.
very hard wood covered with 1/8 in hard plastic, mine have taken many a .223 .7.62. varied pistol rounds. couple 308. still in great shape.

eggs ok but will make a rotten egg stink. but very good for the soil.
can get the crackers/cheap cookies at the dollar store. but made in communist china.. what is in them??
not sure about how they fly? cost? but swedish wafer board bread. if you can find them in the round. can they be launched and will they fly like clays?

now if only we can get the day shooters (one box (less) a month people) that come out with 100 pounds of glass (wine-booze) bottles and only hit some of them. all the broken glass litter.

Old March 25, 2016, 10:38 AM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
I would be surprised if a 2X4 or tree is nearly as hard as some golf balls. Some designed for distance are pretty hard.
I believe you're confusing hardness and resilience (or elasticity). A golf ball is really not very hard at all. It's plastic and rubber. A 2x4 is much harder. It just doesn't return to shape when crushed. Put one of each in a vise and see which one crushes. The piece of 2x4 will break and splinter, it's very hard but also (relatively) brittle. The golf ball will just squish and look brand new when you take it out, unless you go beyond it's limit.

However, more importantly, neither is going to deflect a bullet in any crazy way. They can't possible turn one around and make it come back at you under any ordinary circumstance, not with high speed bullets. Any angle that they can deflect a bullet, well, there shouldn't be anything you don't want to hit in that direction anyway. If there is, you don't have a safe backstop or you're shooting in a direction that can't be made safe.

I agree that we should point out *reasonable* risks, but when we go pointing out every theoretical possibility that we can imagine, we start to sound more like Chicken Little than reasonably cautious and eventually people will ignore even the reasonable warnings.
Old March 25, 2016, 11:16 AM   #32
Rattlehead

Ping pong balls are about the same size and usually cheaper.
Old March 25, 2016, 11:42 AM   #33
NHSHOOTER

Thank you very much Brian Pfleuger. You made a very good point without being the least bit sarcastic as I was in my earlier post...
Due diligence is very important but," going overboard"..we are just all wet...
Old March 25, 2016, 12:09 PM   #34
Erno86

Tennis balls...hung from a string --- is a great reactive target for 22 rimfire. Pinecones...that are thrown up on the backstop, can really be made to dance.

--- George Orwell
Old March 26, 2016, 11:53 AM   #35
rickyrick

You can usually find sacks of golf balls at goodwill for a couple of bucks.

Since it's Easter I bring up another point. Seasonal items get sold for pennies afterwards. You can hang targets on Easter baskets.

I used to scoop up clearance seasonal
Items for repurposing for targets, plastic pumpkins and such.

On another subject, it's not hard to clean up shooting debris. Take a break every few minutes and pick stuff up. This lets you guns cool and saves a little ammo.
When I reset targets I take a reused shopping bag and pick up the bits.
Old April 18, 2016, 09:05 PM   #36
rodfac

Charcoal briquettes...cheap, biodegradable, and they make a great puff of smoke for my grand-daughters. We use 'em up close, then farther and farther away as their skill improves. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 20, 2016, 10:59 AM   #37
Tex44

Cheap playing cards are good too. $2-$3 gets you about 53-54 targets.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old April 20, 2016, 11:53 AM   #38
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriller View Post
My friends and I glue paint balls to index cards and shoot them at ranges up to 200 yards. You can tell immediately when you hit one.

This idea is GENIUS. I will be using since I have some balls that are gonna go bad.
Old April 21, 2016, 11:02 AM   #39
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
Quote:
Yep. Also a dozen or so "Goldfish" hot glued to a paper plate at 100 yards is also biodegradable, aka 'fish in a barrel'.

Can somebody say animal cruelty??

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Produc...aspx?catID=722
Old April 21, 2016, 01:11 PM   #40
Kvon2

Clay pigeons are a good option and most of them are biodegradable.

Gum balls on golf tees are a good time too!
Old April 21, 2016, 06:17 PM   #41
4runnerman

Been shooting them for 4 years now ( Live on a golf course) I get about 7 to 10 a week and Broken Windows about every 2 years. As he said-Wood screw, string and 300 yards with the 308 or 6BR. Great fun.