The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
grizmt

Newbie to reloading, trying to do it right

Yes, I'm new to reloading and yes I'm full of the usual questions and yes, I've read the (very helpful) stickies.
Here's my question(s).
I'm looking to reload .45ACP on a Hornady LNL AP for target practice (at this point).
I've got Hodgon Titegroup powder,Federal 150 lg pistol primers along with some polished brass.
What I'm looking for is a load that is not a waste of resources, not man stopper loads but good for plinking/target.
I want to run cast bullets as they are less expensive allowing more range time. Suggestions on bullets (round,flat,weight etc?) would be most appreciated.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Check Hodgdon's site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old March 22, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
schmellba99

There are a lot of projectiles available, but I tend to stick with 230 grainers personally (I shoot cast lead from my local supplier in Friendswood).

Mostly because they function in my firearm without problems due to being the same profile as a ball round. And they aren't all that much more expensive than 200 grainers or 185 grain pills. They also use less powder.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Spammy_H

I use 4.8 gr. of Titegroup behind a Barry's plated 230 gr. Round Nose bullet, with a COL of 1.200"

I have used this recipe for several years without issue. I realize that it is max., so you may want to back off a little.

You're not going to waste resources with Titegroup. Just keep in mind that it is a low-volume powder, so you do have to watch for double charges more closely than a higher volume powder.

I use the Hornady Powder Cop Die on my LnL AP. It works great. Others use the RCBS Lockout Die, which is even safer.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
bossman

I really like the big ole round hole made by a 200 gr lswc. Great for punching holes in paper.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 22, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
oldpapps

I agree with 'bossman' and would add, any .45ACP is a very good 'fight-stopper'.

Be safe,

OSOK
Old March 22, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I suggest something other than TiteGroup for cast bullets. I have not had good results with it in 4 calibers with cast. For cast bullets I use Bull's Eye. For jacketed ammo I use TiteGroup a lot them.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Shootest

A round nose bullet tends to rip paper targets making scoring difficult. For target shooting I recommend a 200g LSWC. Most of the time just the sight of that big hole in the end of the barrel will stop a fight.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

200g LSWC

I'm with Bossman: I like the 200g Lead SWC for general practice. Semi-wadcutters punch a nice hole in the paper target and it just looks a lot cleaner than the hole from a round nose or HP.

I've been loading the same recipe since 1985 for this purpose - 5.0g Winchester 231. It's powerful enough to cycle the heavy recoil spring in my piece (Colt 1911), shoots straight, and doesn't lead the barrel (I always finish my day with jacketed bullets to clear any lead fouling anyway). Currently, I am using Friendswood bullets - they are excellent, and I highly recommend them for all your hard-cast lead needs.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:47 AM   #10
grizmt

Thank you for all the replies! I'd figured SWC might be the answer as that's what I shot years ago in a .357 and .44 bulldog.
Now it's off to find a supplier.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Nathan

I find 230 gr shoots POA in my gun. I prefer to shoot a .452 RN cast in my 1911. I forgot the brand. I use AA#5, but Titegroup is also a fine powder for 45 ACP.

I use Weapons Shield CLP with a bore brush after bore cleaner to get all the lead out.

I find min load and max loads to be the most accurate with max being slightly better.