The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
spacecoast

Crossdraw holster

I realized recently that I had nothing in which to carry my K, L and N-frame revolvers were I to want to strap one on, and I decided to pick up this Hunter crossdraw holster for $30. It is sturdy although the leather is a bit stiff and it is unfinished inside. All the guns seem to fit pretty well from my 4" K-frame Model 64 to my 6" N-frame Model 629. The strap is adjustable (with a hidden velcro anchor) to accommodate the bigger guns. It seems to offer good freedom of movement and an easy position from which to draw while staying fairly tight to the body.

Does anyone have any pros or cons to consider for this type of holster, or for this one in particular? I also considered shoulder holsters but they seemed complicated, the feedback I had raised concerns about comfort and sizing, and they were somewhat more expensive.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=129816

Last edited by spacecoast; January 10, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: removed remark about trigger being covered on K-frames
Old January 9, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

UM84R Bianchi DA revolver holster; crossdraws...

I'd check out the well engineered Bianchi UM84R holster for your 4" barrel K frame revolver. It can be worn strong or crossdraw in either hand & has a flap(removeable). It's based on the rugged M12/UM92 military holster in use for over 30 years.
The Bianchi Ranger line is impressive too. They can be toted strong/cross-draw.
If you want a custom rig or have the $$$, there are a few good designs from shops like; Kramer, Don Hume, El Paso Saddlery, Andrews Leather, Galco, DeSantis, Blackhawk, or Milt Sparks.
Some holster makers use exotics like rhino, horse, shark, gator.

Clyde
Old January 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3
IDAHOMIKE

Spacecoast,
I would steer clear of those Low end leather holsters. Inferior materials and the universal fit can be very sloppy, especially going from N to K frames. At the risk of shamelessly promoting myself, check out the links in my signature, Id cut you a sweet deal for the sweet deal on the grips.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:31 AM   #4
spacecoast

Thanks Mike, I bought the holster before we had our deal going on the bullets or I might have taken you up on that. I have seen your work and know you make a nice product. It's not fancy for sure (definitely low end), and I probably wouldn't use it on a nickel or blued gun (that rivet from the big snap rubs the cylinder) but I have quite a few stainless revolvers and it's a serviceable holster for those for just riding around the farm.

I misspoke when I mentioned the holster covering the trigger guard on the K-frames, it rides as shown above for those too. Not sure where I got that.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:58 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I have one holster that doesn't cover the trigger. It is in a box in the corner of a closet. If I ever run across it into the trash it goes.

Even a brass washed snap, I don't know if there are real brass snaps, will scratch a stainless revolver over time.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
rayban

Space, that snap is located in the wrong place, if it was just below the trigger guard, it wouldn't come in contact with the gun and still work fine.
As for the exposed trigger, I see them less and less of a problem IF the holster is made to fit the revolver...if the cylinder cannot turn while holstered, there's really nothing to worry about.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Beagle333

They'll all "fit" in a duffle bag.... but ...

Quote:
All the guns seem to fit pretty well from my 4" K-frame Model 64 to my 6" N-frame Model 629.
Rayban is exactly correct... get a holster to fit the revolver.

Get IdahoMike to create one for any specific gun, and what he designs it for - will fit like Eva Longoria in an evening gown and last longer than reruns of The Andy Griffith Show.

Last edited by Beagle333; January 13, 2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old January 13, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
IDAHOMIKE

Lol. Nicely put Beagle. Just did another distressed version of yours.
Spacecoast, Still lovin those grips, so much snazzier than the Houges that were on it. Ive been looking for an excuse to build myself an xdraw, but havent gotten around to it.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:07 AM   #9
rayban

Mike, think of that next long drive you have coming up...a cross draw is pretty comfy while driving....a lot more so than strong right side anyhow.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Driving is what I bought my crossdraw for and it is very comfortable.

I'd not considered this. I'm not sure I want to rely on the friction of the leather on steel. Will it hold with 50-60 pounds on the trigger? I will have to think about it a bit and maybe dig out that holster to test it vigorously.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:01 PM   #11
spacecoast

Quote:
Even a brass washed snap, I don't know if there are real brass snaps, will scratch a stainless revolver over time.
The backside of the snap appears to be some kind of hard plastic, black in color. I don't think it would scratch stainless but would worry about it wearing the bluing on a blued revolver.

Quote:
Spacecoast, Still lovin those grips
Glad to hear it Mike, they are very pretty but my hands just seem to like those ugly old Hogues. Not enough outside work I guess.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:46 PM   #12
rayban

The key words here are "fit properly"...I don't use this holster, but it was made for the gun your see in it (Smith J-frame),notice how the leather is formed to the cylinder....I can't turn this cylinder with the trigger on a bet.

Old January 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #13
dahermit

The holster shown in the original post is good enough for a utility holster. That is, for holding the gun at the range, walking in the woods, even hunting (Note: for those purposes, it hardly needs the retention strap.). However, there would be specific gun uses that would not be in tune with that holster. For instance, if you preferred a cross-draw for conceal carry, it would likely benefit with some kind of belt loop that held it higher on the belt than that drop-loop and with slightly more forward grip angle. If that holster is going to be used for the things I mentioned first, then it is good enough and will likely last a very long time.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:37 PM   #14
spacecoast

Quote:
...good enough for a utility holster. That is, for holding the gun at the range, walking in the woods, even hunting (Note: for those purposes, it hardly needs the retention strap.)
That's pretty much the way I saw it when I made the buy. I had NOTHING in which to carry my bigger revolvers (currently 4 N frames, an L frame and 3 K frames). My routine carry is either a J-frame revolver in a pocket holster or a nice high-riding OWB holster if it's cool and I can cover it with a jacket or sweater, or a LCP in my back pocket. I have some property up north around which I would likely be walking or riding with the possibility of deer hunting or black bear sightings and this would make a reasonable way to carry something suitable for that environment, albeit infrequently. I'm kind of clumsy so I would probably use the strap anyway.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
dahermit

The Hunter brand and style of holster has proved its utility for years for us who could not afford anything more elegant. They were pretty much standard in that regard. I had several for different guns in my early years. Like I mentioned, they were good enough for some things, but I would not want that style if I was running after dogs while 'coon hunting (Yes, Southern boys, we actually hunted coons with dogs and shot them...we did not just sit by the fire and listen to the dogs running them.), with that style of holster flapping up and down. But then, my running days are long over.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:27 AM   #16
jason_iowa

I just got a Bianchi cyclone 111 for my 617 4in. It can be carried strong side or cross draw. I don't care for cross draw personally but I was amazed at the quality of the holster for the price I got it for. I got it on optics planet on sale not sure what its at now but well worth it im sure.