The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
sureshots

Deer Season is over,What Now?

Now that Deer Season is at end in most of the South. What are we going to HUNT now?
Old December 31, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Daryl

I'll still hunt coyotes for another couple of months, and the archery deer season runs 'till the end of January here in Az.

After that, it'll be time to go fishing, then maybe turkey season, and then I'll start preparing for next year.

I'll have a tent to clean up a bit, ammo to load, areas to scout...

Daryl
Old December 31, 2008, 09:21 PM   #3
fisherman66

Shoot, we still have the rest of this week and Sunday. I'm outta tags, but gunnin' for sum hogs while the rest of the boys chase bambi Fri/Sat/Sun. Tomorrow I'm doin' the Special Dove Season. After that another hog hunt mid January and then a final one mid February up in Caddo Grasslands. If I get hungry another hog hunt whenever the mood strikes. After that I chase the elusive big black bass. Gotta love Texas.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
sserdlihc

Well the best time for me to scout is the 1st day after deer season ends. I usually put up new stands, repair old ones, and get to the range as much as possible.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Swampghost

Here, hogs are year 'round plus some smaller critters.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:45 PM   #6
sasquatch

Guess we'll just sit around drinking beer, telling lies about last season, and plan our next year's hunt.
Old January 1, 2009, 01:02 AM   #7
shortwave

Or you could come up north and bow hunt till bout Feb. 3 . Bring clothes, gets pretty chilly sitting 20-30 ft. up in the stand. Going on a pheasnt hunt in a couple wks. then it`ll be scouting, turkey time and getting food plots ready. Wonder if I`ll have time to work.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:29 AM   #8
THE GENERAL

We still have 3 more days East of Old Virginy!
I slayed 3 last weekend and plan to do some more freezer fillen!

KILL'EM ALL!
Old January 1, 2009, 03:48 AM   #9
tyrajam

Well, to kill the time between deer season and Turkey season, you can hunt coyotes. Or just spend as much time with the wife as possable to try to bank up some good will for next hunting season!

If you want to try coyotes, I'll suggest the Johny Stewart Preymaster electric call (under 100$ at Cabelas) and your favorite deer rifle. Give em hell and help out your deer population!
Old January 1, 2009, 07:05 AM   #10
bswiv

Those of us here in Florida need to be careful telling what we are going to be doing in January & February. Last thing we need is to stir up more YANKEES with the idea that they need to come here!!!!!
Old January 1, 2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Hawg

OVER?!! We've still got till Jan. 31
Old January 1, 2009, 09:31 AM   #12
12GaugeShuggoth

I suppose I'll just keep practicing with the bow until next fall comes 'round. Put up a couple new stands, get ready to tend some plots. Now that it's the final week here all the hunt clubs are running their dogs non stop and ruining it for those of us who are trying to enjoy ourselves. I spent the last 2 days just out in the woods looking for late season signs, got another one with the bow a few days ago and that just about took the last little space up in the freezer.

I had been watching and tracking a big buck on our property for the last month or so, just hadn't gotten a chance for a clean shot yet. Not sure if it's the same one, but the dogs ran 2 huge bucks off our property and across another private tract over the past couple days. I know one of them got shot, not sure about the other. And it had been such a nice season too, hadn't heard barely any hounds all fall. Oh well, good times can't last forever.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 1, 2009, 09:49 AM   #13
ojibweindian

Alabama's season ends on 31 Jan. Next Friday and Saturday, my son and I will be sneaky-snakeying around NE Alabama trying to get another couple of deer
Old January 1, 2009, 10:07 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My gen-gun runs until mid feb...
Money has been so tight I haven't been able to by my license. I will have it tomorrow.
Brent
Old January 1, 2009, 07:06 PM   #15
rem870hunter

double posted sorry.

Last edited by rem870hunter; January 1, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:11 PM   #16
rem870hunter

deer in my zone runs to jan 31. some zones go to mid feb mostly north jersey. m/l came in full swing just before christmas. been doing that every other day. and a few times of shotgun for rabbit/squirrel too that goes into mid feb. i miss m/l hunting so i didn't buy my shotgun permit. i should hopefully get up north to deer hunt with mikenbarb within the next 1-2 weeks.

coyote special season (24 hrs hunting ) comes in jan 19. so i'll be out during the night here and there looking to bag them. even found a few predator hunters in my area,can't wait to meet and hunt with them. after that i may woodchuck hunt.

then get ready for spring trout season,the pool season and saltwater fishing to begin.
range time is anytime.

and its time to buy another gun or 2.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

I'm done hunting till spring turkey..... after spring turkey, I do a lot of fishing until fall hunting season ramps back up.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:34 PM   #18
rantingredneck

Our season ended today.

I ended the year with 4 deer to my record. 2 with the bow (8 point and doe), 1 with the muzzleloader (6 point), and one with the shotgun (doe).

I'll be taking stands down sometime over the next few weekends. While I'm out there I'll probably take the .22 along to whack a few squirrels for the freezer (ends Jan 31). I may try for late season dove (have to check dates but I believe the 15th).

Will probably try to kill a few coyotes before turkey season in April.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 1, 2009, 07:42 PM   #19
alloy

S/S shotgun season when the big guns are out of the woods...my favorite hunting. squirrel, rabbit, quail, pheasant.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:46 PM   #20
JonnyReb

Hate to say it but i'm glad its over. This season i hunted 4 days out of 7 if not more. I have taken more "no smell" showers and bought more darned deer pee than the last 10 years put together. I hunted before work and worked 1/2 days to be back in the woods by 3. Every sat. and of course i've gotten nothing done around the house. The wife's been patient but...

I took some nice ones and it was all wonderful time well spent but now i'm going to focus on working a bit more, getting some projects completed and priming the wife for whats to come in 8 months

I'm looking forward to hunting things that can't smell me. Some squirrels are gonna pay for the corn they've eaten and the turkeys i've been watching are gonna be mine in a few months. Airgunning pests is a good pastime and of course theres scouting to do as well as new stands to be built and some food plots to be put in; Fishing will fill in inbetween. Gonna be busy till next deer season...J.R.
Old January 1, 2009, 09:43 PM   #21
zahnzieh

Cleaning guns, loading ammo, doing a little ice-fishing. One thing I like to do is put my trail-camera to use over a bait-pile and see the monsters that got away! Amazing the number of nocturnal bucks you see on them!
Old January 1, 2009, 09:56 PM   #22
DiscoRacing

shoot paper... from long distances..... get enough squirrels to make a mess a gravy with em
Old January 1, 2009, 10:25 PM   #23
Greg.B

Cleaning guns, spending some quality range time, and practicing/planning for next year. There's always plenty to do. I also have some of my NRA courses schduled for March.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I also have the first 10 lbs. of jerky strips marinating as I type this
NRA Member | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | NRA Certified Rifle Instructor | NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor | Indiana Hunter Education Instructor | BSA Scoutmaster | BSA Merit Badge Counselor
Old January 1, 2009, 11:08 PM   #24
armedtotheteeth

Deer season aint over here yet. I wish it was. The city "hunters" infest our neck of the woods and drive around out in the woods with their 4 wheelers, jeeps, and Mules. The wonder " where are all the deer?" I usually tell them "at least 4 miles from that noisy damn 4 wheeler!" When the leasers leave, Me and my buddies get back to smackin hogs every weekend. Its way funner than deer hunting anyhow, and way tastier.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:27 PM   #25
BIGR

Bird hunt til the end of Feb., then some varmit hunting and I guess I can dream about the 2009 deer season.