The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 27, 2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Drakejake

Need for Range Safety Instruction

I shoot frequently at an unsupervised, public, outdoor range. Today there was a shooter there who seemed to have no idea of range safety and etiquette. When he wanted to check his targets, he headed down range with no notice to the other 10 or so people who were present. When he wanted to start shooting, he did so even though several other shooters were down range returning from the 100 yard target board. On one occasion, I pointed this out to him just before he was going to fire. Two or three people were down range. Moreover, he seemed to be shooting from three different spots on the range. He had a table, which is for the 100 yard targets, and two places on the 25 yard line. I was using a portable target board. At one point, he went behind my stand and put up targets on the target board directly behind my stand. Then he came and asked if he could shoot standing to my left. I said OK, but his empties were hitting me in the head and I stepped back a yard or so on the concrete firing line to get out of the way. Perhaps I was at fault for doing this.

When I first went to this range I didn't know the rules and committed some faux pas. And some of the other shooters faulted me for not adjusting to their mistakes. (One time, without any notice to me, a shooter headed down range and then criticized me for continuing to fire. The firing line is about 40 or 50 yards long and I was at the far end, quite a distance from him.)

I took a safety course at an indoor range when I was applying for my carry license, but there was no instruction in range safety. I think anyone who shoots at an indoor or public outdoor range should be trained in the basics of range safety. I.e., don't go down range until you have notified all other shooters by yelling "clear" and getting their agreement. After a "clear," do not resume firing until you yell "hot" and know that everyone has heard and understands. Never aim a pointed firearm at anyone. Etc.

Drakejake
Old July 27, 2002, 01:32 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

FOR SAFE SHOOTING

Try an IPSC/USPSA match.

We are the SAFEST shooters in the world.

www.uspsa.org
Old July 27, 2002, 02:41 PM   #3
Pigshooter

This type of person is why there are so few good cheap plinking ranges.

I think you were not stern enough. Probably what you wanted to do was something you can't post here in good taste. Leaving the area has its advantages in the long run though.

Tough call. You want to strangle someone like that, I know. But I've been fortunate, every unsupervised range I've been to has been idiot-free, not counting my own idiocy. And I am always profusely apologetic if I offend anyone.
Old July 27, 2002, 05:01 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would be impossible to police all the "informal" ranges at local gravel pits and the like, but there should be range officers at any formal club or organization range, and they should enforce the rules.

Oddly, some clubs seem to feel that if they give any instruction, someone will resent the "intrusion" or if they give instruction and the shooter makes a serious mistake, they could be sued.

The result is that for whatever reason, no instruction is given and you have experienced the result. Combined with the general "yuppie" attitude of "I'll do what I want and to hell with you", we are going to see accidents that will close ranges and leave us with no place to shoot.

I think it is absolutely necessary to help people understand range rules and to have someone in authority to enforce them. Regular "cease fire" times for target change and inspection are necessary. Going down range "when you feel like it" will get someone killed.

Clubs that are afraid of suits if they give instruction should realize what will happen if they don't.

Jim
Old July 28, 2002, 02:33 AM   #5
croyance

Sad and funny. I think if somebody took some shots while I was down range, I'd think of it as a threat and would at least draw if not return fire.
I'm with you Jim. If anybody ever gets injured or killed (or scared), then they will be sued for not having range rules posted and enforced.
Old July 28, 2002, 07:01 AM   #6
Swamp Yankee

Drakejake,

Thanks for posting this reminder.
Amazing how far a little common sense can go if properly exercised.
The club I currently belong to, as well as some other privately owned, public ranges I have used all required an orientation. After going through the orientation signing a statement that I had been instructed in and understood all range rules was required.
The orientation at the club where I currently shoot was very extensive, and the rules are strictly enforced. Violation of Range Rules is the fastest way to be stripped of membership.
With the ever decreasing number of ranges, and developers, (particularly here in NE Ct.), trying to shut them down, it would seem simply following range rules is a small price to pay for having a good place to shoot.
Take Care
Old July 28, 2002, 08:35 AM   #7
K80Geoff

It is every shooter's responsibility to know the range safety rules and abide by them.

It is every shooter's job to point out safety violations to other shooters. If the violator gives you guff, call the range owner!

I live in an area where rapid fire can get a range shut down! Ranges are closed down regularly. I do not want some snotty punk ruining my recreation.

It is so bad here that the anti's annually take aerial photographs of the ranges to see if the range owners have removed vegetation or sand (Both no no's here on Long Island) in violation of Environmental Conservation laws. One local range is being sued now for allegedly removing trees!

One guy rapid firing an AR can open Pandora's box!

If you see a violation, correct it!
Old July 28, 2002, 09:35 AM   #8
GeorgeH

The NRA has a Range Safety Officer training program. Contact the NRA and ask for the name of you area Training Coodinator or of any Senior Range Safety Officer (the word "Senior" simply means that he or she is qualified to qualify others).
Old July 28, 2002, 06:05 PM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

We have a public range near-by. Twice was enough for me.
Old July 28, 2002, 06:17 PM   #10
CP220

I've had problems at the indoor range where I frequent. All the targets are electronic so you can retrieve them without walking, but sometimes they fall off the hooks and you have to go get them.

Whenever I have to do this, I wait until people are reloading or there is a lull in fire, and I call as loud as I can "ceasefire". I ask everyone to remove their magazines and all cartridges, lock the bolt/slide open and take 2 steps back from their firearm. Only after this is done will I go down-range to retrieve the target.

On a side note, when I was doing this one time, some guy decided to pick up his rifle, close the bolt, shoulder it and look downrange through his scope. As soon as I saw this I drew my P226, yelled at him to drop his rifle and stand back. One of the other shooters was kind enough to grab a hold of the guy and take his rifle away until I got back to the firing line. This was the one time in my life that I wanted to hit someone really bad.
Old July 28, 2002, 07:46 PM   #11
KSFreeman

Public ranges are like public restrooms. Avoid them at all costs.

Dangerous and filthy and way too many GSCs.
Old July 28, 2002, 08:26 PM   #12
m.i.sanders

I frequent a public range, but luckily it has a Range Officer. It also has signs that are connected by rope that can be pulled in front of the shooting stations to warn folks not to fire. I don't think that I'd go to a range without a RO on duty.

"How can something seem so plausible at the time and so idiotic in retrospect?"
-Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes
Old July 28, 2002, 09:36 PM   #13
la rue

absoutely some form of range procedure training is needed. I've seem some pretty wild and unsafe actions done by people that just don't know.when i see that i try to explain in a non elitest way,how to act in the safest way possible. most people usually appreciate any help but once in a while you get a true A*****E!!!!!
Old July 29, 2002, 11:55 AM   #14
Rovert

I'd get the rest of your fellow shooters whom he's putting at risk, and ask them to also confront him. If he continues, then you should all get together, and insist that either he pack up his equipment and leave, if he can't be courteous, or you'll do it for him... if 'ya know what I mean... I'd also make the property owner aware of his behavior, and ban him from the range, unless he can play nice.

There's no margin for error on something like that.
Old July 29, 2002, 12:12 PM   #15
DMK

I shoot at a federal public range all the time and have never had any serious problems.

At a public range EVERYONE is a range officer. Don't be shy, don't be too polite. Don't try to embarrass them and make them look stupid in front of everyone, but if you see a problem, stop the person immediately and correct them. I would expect that you would do it to me.

I see new shooters come to my range, you can pretty much tell who they are. I usually ask them right out if they've ever been there before and point out the rule sign. I then quicky go over the basics in a friendly mannor and make it very clear that they are free to ask if unsure of something. I have also seen others do the same.

If done tactfully, it's a good way to "break the ice". They are always appreciative and have a great time.
Old August 7, 2002, 01:00 AM   #16
cop42

Public ranges scare me. I was at one with a friend of mine. We were sighting in a rifle. We were on the rifle lanes when two younger looking guys came in. They were sent to the rifle area because they were shooting Desert Eagles. While I was shooting, they loaded they magazines. I heard a slide rack back. I turned and saw they were charging their weapons behind me. I went and told the manager. He brushed me off. At that time, one of the two guys walked out to the counter where I was. I told him that he had made a careless mistake and that he needed to take a safety course. He had a blank stare and walked back to the lane mumbling about how I needed to mind my own buisness. That was the last time I went to that range.

Freedom Above All Else.