The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 26, 2015, 02:40 AM   #26
Brotherbadger

Quote:
So I went to the link on mid state firearms and saw that they have really competitive prices. Does anybody have experience with their uppers? Good or bad experiences please share.
Quick check of the web shows no real negative press, but nothing massively positive either. In today's gun world, I'd stick with the known quality unless they have a REALLY killer deal. Just too much quality out there for a similar price to risk spending your hard earned cash on an unknown.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 27, 2015, 12:32 PM   #27
chasen7

Delay??? Well I went to pick up my Anderson lower that was delivered to my FFL this morning, and the call in came back with 'delayed' status. Never had this happen before, and now have to wait a week to call them and check status. My lower kit won't be here until Monday so I'm not out anything for the weekend, but annoying nonetheless.

Anyone else had this happen on a lower?
Old March 27, 2015, 12:45 PM   #28
rickyrick

Delay shipping or delay in background check?....

Sometimes the lowers are processed as handguns, well, because a lower can be made into a handgun...
So new laws are sliding in here and there at state and local governments...

So that could be the delay,

But without knowing the nature of the delay, I'm just guessing and flapping my gums lol
Old March 27, 2015, 12:51 PM   #29
chasen7

Background...forgot these can be built as handguns, so that's probably it. Not a big deal really, just took me by surprise as I've not run in to this with any long gun.
Old March 27, 2015, 01:51 PM   #30
rickyrick

That's probably it then
Old March 28, 2015, 10:26 AM   #31
aherrera773

Ive been delayed twice in the last year it really stinks. In NM if your get a delay at one of bigger firearms stores they will usually wait till the form expires and if your patient enough (im not)they will call in to fill out another one. So I just go to one of the local LGS and wait 4 days than they release the firearm
Old March 30, 2015, 07:40 AM   #32
chasen7

Yeah, this is my LGS, and it's a 4 day wait, release expected on Thursday this week.

Thanks
Old March 30, 2015, 10:11 AM   #33
tirod

Building an upper is not "dangerous" with the AR precisely because Stoner designed it out.

As for barrel length, if you go 16" go midlength gas. Aside from the more appropriate gas port location it lengthens the handguards and leaves less bare barrel showing, which gives it a more traditional look.

When building the upper, most barrels come with the barrel extension already installed and headspaced. While there are no definitive statistics on it, it seems that 99% of all AR barrels sold that way will function safely with any bolt you install. If it's a concern, buy the barrel headspaced to a specific bolt as a package, the better barrel suppliers do that.

Installing the barrel into the upper does not require fancy tools or gunsmith level training! It slips into the upper against the nose, the barrel nut is then tightened down three times to remove burrs, minimum torque is 30 foot pounds. Maximum is 85, which may not even be realized because you only tighten the nut to clear the sprocket tooth for the gas tube, which acts as a mechanical lock. Antiseize is used on the threads, not Loctite.

It is NOT a matter of "correctly" torqueing a barrel nut with wrench at all. The wrench is a safety procedure to keep an inexperienced twentysomething young armorer from messing up a perfectly good combat weapon trying to get things TOO tight and stripping the threads. Military spec is minimum 30 foot pounds, max is 85, that's a 55 pound range of good enough based simply on getting the teeth lined up enough.

Squaring the nose or installing a shim are other methods to avoid torguing things to 85 pounds at all.

The procedure is that dirt simple because Stoner was a production engineer, too, and having a lot of expensive and unnecessarily difficult steps in assembly made it a lot cheaper in labor. Gunsmiths aren't needed to install a barrel the way a traditional trunnion receiver is done, headspacing the chamber against a bolt locked into it simultaneously. That kind of assembly is why very few build AK's or bolt actions. It's also equipment intensive, requiring a press.

AR barrels are assembled on a bench, as are uppers. Much faster and easier. it only takes about an hour to do one, if you have some way to hold the upper while tightening the barrel nut.

It is far from rocket science because a company who worked in aerospace figured it all out.
Old March 30, 2015, 02:02 PM   #34
chasen7

Thanks tirod, I appreciate the info and confidence in the build!
Old April 2, 2015, 03:16 PM   #35
chasen7

I picked up my Anderson lower this morning, and promptly began assembling. All went together with as much ease as any online video demonstrates. I thoroughly enjoyed the quick process though!

I after researching for another week, I decided to go with a 16" SS barrel and complete upper from Mid State Firearms. They have some great prices ($348 shipped) and online feedback is great as well. I will upgrade the BCG and charging handle down the road, but for a complete upper with a 10" free float Gen2 hand guard, I am excited to get to shooting soon!

Old April 3, 2015, 01:37 PM   #36
jj320

if you want to look at other uppers check out surplusammo.com
Old April 13, 2015, 04:27 PM   #37
chasen7

I finished up my AR build this morning...can't wait to shoot it, but it's gonna be a while as I'm traveling for the next four weeks!

Old April 13, 2015, 04:45 PM   #38
noonesshowmonkey

Looks great. Post some pics of your best groups!
Old April 13, 2015, 04:55 PM   #39
chasen7

Thanks, will do!
Old April 9, 2016, 10:34 AM   #40
50Calheavy

If it's long distance accuracy you want it's coming. Even the high quality machined aftermarket parts have a minimum of three tolerance stacks. Fortunately there is a company that noted this problem (ZeroN) and designed a mount that adjusts in the x, y and z axis. It has four times the adjustment of a scope with the most available MOA at $4699. Even better, you are not limited to 1 /4 or1/8 adjustments. The adjustment is user defined. Thus you can move it a human hair if that is what you need. All parts are etched and numbered so you only have to zero the weapon once and record the numbers. That way you can transfer the mount and scope to multiple weapons and never have to re-zero. Also note when the weapon is set to dead zero at any range the scope's internal adjustment is set at zero so you maintain the full internal adjustment of the scope. That is important when you are shooting long distance and need to make a quick adjustment given changes in temperature, wind, humidity and factor the cost of ammunition. The z axis allows you to shoot even farther. Unfortunately, their target market has been the Joint Munitions Command who procures weapons and parts for all branches of the military. The good news is they are planning to launch a website and make the mounts available to the public by December of 2016.
Old February 21, 2017, 12:16 PM   #41
chasen7

Almost two years ago already and I never posted anything about this gun and how it shoots. I am SO pleased with this gun and its accuracy thus far. I haven't spent a lot of money on a really nice scope, mainly because I don't have a long range or open range to shoot at right now, so my Bushnell AR scope is doing just fine out to 300. I have it dialed in to being able to consistently take care of a Master padlock at 200 yards, and that is so fun to do!

I just heard the other day about a 600 yard range about 45 minutes from me, so I plan to check that out soon!