The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 9, 2013, 05:45 PM   #26
markj

Quote:
"why does anyone need to own an assault rifle"
Cause they are a lot of fun to shoot. Rip off a 30 rounder on a metal target gets my blood up and a huge smile forms....

My nieces ask me every time they come out, can we shoot today? I love them sooo much

If and I say if cause of where I live, any folks want to come in and wreck havoc, I sure would rather be able to defend myself rather than a call to 911 about my dead family if Iam able to call that is.

Some folks feel all secure in their own skin, someone outta go mug them once, let em know the feeling of not being in control, of not being secure, then and maybe then they will sing a different tune.

I'm not waiting so I go armed and have a gun in the house. I feel for those that dont feel the need to protect themselves and their families. Their family sure doesnt need to suffer cause of no guns in the house...
Old January 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Dre_sa

Why does anyone need to own a first aid kit? we have paramedics and EMT's to handle these situations. they're trained professionals, and while I have learned much about first aid, I do not count myself as a professional first aid person.

Do I need a first aid kit? not particularly, I'm thoroughly cautious, and always consider safety before doing anything remotely dangerous. Do I want to have one nearby, just incase I may need it? You bet!
Old January 9, 2013, 06:06 PM   #28
patriotic

I ran into this article on Sandy Hook and a very plausible reason for these mass shootings which does not include firearms.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant...ook-reporting/
Old January 9, 2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Metal god

Quote:
assault rifle i am so sick of reading about those horrible assault rifles, WE.., here and now need to stop using that term, i am reasonably certain we here know that "assault rifle" refers to full automatic firing with one squeeze of the trigger and holding it in that position until the magazine is empty !!
I must disagree with this definition of assault rifle . By this definition the marines are not issued an assault rifle .It's my understanding they are semi auto and three round burst only . Further More I'm told that they are taught not to use the 3 round burst and only fire in semi auto . Sounds to me a marine would have no problem going to war with one of my ARs . Lets stop acting like it's not a military style weapon . They are and it's why we like them .

I might add it's to late . The anti's won that word game war like they win them all . Lets move on and change the debate to answering who needs firearm like that . That debate can be won in a heart beat . As Americans we do have to prove the need to own something . Thats what the debate should be about . It should be about how the guy in Sandy hook stole the guns then shot and killed the owner . No gun control can stop that from happening . We need to change the argument .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 9, 2013, 07:09 PM   #30
D.W. Drang

Quote:
How to answer Piers Morgan's question "why does anyone need to own an assault rifle"
"None of your business, you pommie [expletive]. Now get out of my country, before I emulate Jeremy Clarkson."
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 9, 2013, 07:37 PM   #31
Dre_sa

If he's not a citizen, I don't think he should have any say...

He needs to keep his politics to himself.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:01 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If he's not a citizen, I don't think he should have any say.
The rights guaranteed by the 1st Amendment apply to anyone on US soil, not just citizens. It's in the Constitution, towards the back.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #33
Dre_sa

Sure, he can say what he likes, but as far as policy / decision making is concerned, he should have no part of it.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:25 PM   #34
SPEMack618

Did anyone catch him last night when he said no mass shooter had ever been stopped by a private citizen?

I nearly losted it at the blatant ignorance of that comment.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:03 PM   #35
WildmanWilson

Less than 400 people are killed with all types of rifles each year. Twice that many are beaten to death with just hands a feet. All this uproar over a weapon that has very little impact on the total number of murders. They will want much more control other than just ARs. They will come at us hard this time and the time is right for them to strike while emotions are high. The only winners are criminals and the government if legal citizens are disarmed.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:36 PM   #36
ChileVerde1

The real reason for the second ammendment!

From what I've read into the writings of Adams, Jefferson, etc.. the main purpose of the 2nd ammendment was to protect against TYRRANY, namely in the form of a tyrranical government. Somehow that seems to be the "white elephant" in the room. Protecting our property, life, etc... is implied, but protecting our God given freedom is the real intent!!
Old January 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #37
Skans

Since when do we as a society allow other to tell us what we need and what we don't need. That's not our country, that's Iran.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #38
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileVerde1 View Post
... the main purpose of the 2nd ammendment was to protect against TYRRANY, namely in the form of a tyrranical government. Somehow that seems to be the "white elephant" in the room...
Because mentioning that can get you locked up.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #39
pelo801

I think we should move away from this argument of need. It's not about need, it never was and never will be. Putting yourself in this argument is putting yourself against the ropes from the start. It's about choice. This is what I choose and that is where we need to steer the argument. I don't need to justify to anyone what I choose to own. Why do we feel we need to give people the power to delegate what our needs are by trying to justify them? That is an argument on their terms.

The problem with arguing with stupid people is that you stoop to their level, argue on their terms, and then they beat you with experience.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #40
rellik74

when you are a subject to Kings and Queens for a thousand years what do you know about freedom! and really who cares about his opnion
Old January 11, 2013, 08:15 PM   #41
lamarw

I agree with other posters, and it is not a question of a need vs. a question as to whether it is your right to own one.

The analysis of dogs and others is to the point. We have the right to own cars. It is your right to choose either a Smart Car or a Ferrari. Do you need a Ferrarri which will go three to four times the speed limit? Do you need a weapon with greater firepower? This question has no merrit. You may choose to take the Ferrari to the race track. You may choose to carry a high capacity weapon to a firing range. It is your right to choose and use in a legal manner.

Unfortunately if the law is changed, we the responsible citizens will be the only ones who comply. There will always be the few who find away around the law and/or violate the law. A perfect example are those who modify vehicles for greater power which bypass emission laws. The same can be done by those converting semi-auto to full automatic weapons.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:29 PM   #42
Mousegunzzz

Here is another reason Piers Morgan. There are a tremendous number of so called "assault weapons" out there now. In the last month, more than ever.

Even if banned completely, a lot of bad guys have them either by thievery or straw.

I have to be able to fight back if needed, with equal force and having the same firepower is the only way to do it.

Plus the fact, you are assuming I will do harm with my "assault weapon" and its 30 round mags. That to me is ----

v

v

v

v

Are you ready?

v
v
v
v
Here it comes

v
v
v
v
v
OFFENSIVE
Old January 12, 2013, 07:44 AM   #43
taylorce1

Keep it to the 2nd Amendment period. The 2A is there to allow us to protect ourselves from the tyranny of government first and fore most. I feel that if we are going to be able to maintain our ability to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government we should be allowed to arm ourselves with similar fierarms as the basic weapon of the US Military. The RTKBA is more about protection from within than protection from an invading country.

Here are some quotes I like.

Quote:
"A free people ought to be armed."- George Washington

*"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."- Thomas Jefferson*

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson*
Our founding fathers penned the 2A because they had just thrown off the chains of a tyrannical government, and the knew that the citizens of the US might have to do so again.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:05 AM   #44
BikeNGun1974

When you don't have facts, play on emotion.

It works every time.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:22 AM   #45
nate45

Quote:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."- Thomas Jefferson
Thats the strongest reason right there, Jefferson hit the nail on the head, as he so often did.

If someone poo, poos the idea of tyrannical government, remind them of Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, etc, etc from just the 20th century alone. Many of those millions of dead people thought the government would protect them too.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:19 AM   #46
Strafer Gott

How can you expect someone who has been a subject his entire life, along with his father and all the sires before him to understand the language and mindset of a freeman? Easy! Let Jesse Ventura explain it to him! I think even Piers Morgan, whether he agrees with it or not, at least gets it now.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:02 PM   #47
nate45

lol

Lets let Chuck Norris, Jesse Ventura and Ted Nugent take Piers out on a weekend shooting expedition.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #48
Rifleman1952

After giving this some more thought, I tend to agree with those who say it is not up to us to have to prove to Piers Morgan, why we need them. Since, semi-automatic rifles are so rarely used in criminal activity; it's up to Piers Morgan to prove why he needs to have these rifles outlawed. Semi-automatic rifles have been around and used for lawful purposes by millions of Americans for over 100 years.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:16 PM   #49
Rainbow Demon

Someone should also point out that high capacity magazines for semi auto handguns have been available since WW1, the Luger Snail Drum is a case in point, and as a standard feature for a 9mm handgun since 1935, the Browning HP.
Semi Auto carbines with 30 round magazines have been available to the public since the 1950's. Yet school shootings were practically unheard of before the late 90's.
Availability of the rifles is not the deciding factor, its the evil intent of a very few homocidal pyschopaths.
Mass murders have been performed using gasoline and improvised explosives, with no firearms of any sort involved.

Personally I don't have any pressing need or desire for an autoloading rifle of any sort, but theres a lot of things I don't need that others should be able to buy should they feel the need.
Anyone who has been stuck in a large city during a major riot could easily see the need for a high capacity autoloader to defend the lives of yourself and family and to protect your property.
Old January 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #50
Jaxxxa

Link to Jesse Ventura on Piers' show. I think he handles this well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxNenz7q_eY
Closed Thread