The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2000, 09:58 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Howdy all,

I own a Interarms Virginian Dragoon that is a real pretty pistol. I use this gun for CAS shooting and it does the job nicely. What I noticed while shooting bulls eye is that past 20 yards it produces patterns like a shotgun. I have bench rested the gun and the patterns stayed wide open. I reload my own ammo and tried a couple other factory loads and these produced even worse results. I mentioned this to a local smith who said that the rifling on these guns are cut really shallow. The shallow rifling accounts for the lack of accuracy and these Virginians were nited for this. The grooves don't look that shallow to me, truth or fiction?

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

"Those who turn their swords into plow shears,
end up plowing the fields of those who didn't"
Thomas Jefferson
Old May 31, 2000, 10:29 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Joe - one possibility is the bore diameter. Have you slugged your barrel to be sure you are using the right diam. bullet?
Old May 31, 2000, 10:31 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, I don't think that's correct. I've never measured one to find out but I've never heard of this before. I'd have someone look at your cylinder alignment, barrel cylinder gap, headspace, and forcing cone. I don't know what is standard for the Virginian's forcing cone but you might consider having the angle changed to a gentler one and chamfering the cylinder chambers. George
Old May 31, 2000, 10:55 PM   #4
Gunslinger

I've got a couple examples of the Virginia Dragoons and just "eye balling" 'em the grooves look deep to me. One, the five and a half incher is extremely accurrate. The other, a seven and a half incher, has never been shot. Both a .44.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000