The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 8, 2001, 10:50 AM   #51
Glamdring

How long does it take to bust a solid core door, the solid core usually isn't anything very strong unless you special order it, with nothing but your empty hands or feet? My boss at one of my jobs manages a lot of rental units. He has opened many dead bolted doors by basically "bumping them," he isn't very strong he weighs around 220 though. Have worked with "ex" goblins that weighted about the same that were much stronger...one in particular I am sure could punch thru any non metal door likely to be in a house.

Art: Many leases forbid any changes to house/apt, and your usually prohibited from changing the locks. Not saying you can't but that your breaking the law that way also, and that your doing so in a way that can end up with landlord or LEO's busting in with the law on their side. From a personal security standpoint renting sucks.

SamH: You said "Is the aggressor equipped to use deadly force? In the case of someone trying to kick down your bedroom door - you don't know! So don't shoot. Is the aggressor in a position to use deadly force? If he or she is behind your bedroom door, probably not. So don't shoot. Is the aggressor demonstrating intent to use deadly force? He or she is acting violently. If you feel that this is enough indication of his or her intent to use deadly force, I'll leave the decision up to the reader. "

I would say if they can break the door down they have demonstrated that they could seriously hurt or kill me.

Are they in a position to use deadly force? Depends how you look at it, my arguement would be similar to the one used against knife armed person at 7 yards [ie Tueller drill]. Except they are closer than in the Tueller drill and I was sound asleep but a moment ago, talk about being behind in the OODA loop.

I would feel whoever is breaking down a bedroom door has if not deadly intent the intent to do sever bodily harm to the people inside.

Does your opinion of this situation change if the person in the bedrooom is female? Or disabled/elderly?
Old July 8, 2001, 11:00 AM   #52
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Or, weighs 146 lbs?
Old July 8, 2001, 11:18 AM   #53
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Personally, I'd be scrambling to get behind bullet-proof cover or, at least, concealment. Then I'd like to cover the door and check the windows in my peripheral vision. Getting ear muffs on would help, too -- can still hear through them but won't mess up hearing as badly.

Source of the noise could be a cat that got in through a window, or wind or new neighbor's stereo but unID'd visitors would be kept at gunpoint.

I wouldn't light up through the door but if the visitors are hostile, then ventilating the place through the walls is OK as they can do the same to you. Doesn't work as well if you have kids' bedroom down the hall from you.
Old July 8, 2001, 10:15 PM   #54
Mannlicher

Do you guys see something fundamentaly wrong here? It is real sad when we in America are more in fear of the legal system and cops, than we are of the miscreaent kicking in the door to what has heretofore been considered one's sanctum sanctorum. Face it, when the door is being kicked in at 2am, you don't have a lot of time to consider all the crap that has been posted here about 'what if this' or 'what if that'. You would have about three seconds, groggy, disoriented, to make a decision. For me, it is going to be a lot of #3 buckshot from the Mossberg sitting by the bed. Some one can sort it out later. I still believe that being judged by 12 better than being carried by 6.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Closed Thread