The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2012, 01:47 AM   #1
pb803

Sig 1911-22 problems

newby here....hi ya'll.....

ok......
those of you who know this gun...SIG 1911-22....

bought my wife this gun a month ago...noticed right off, the front site needed changing, and I did, and went with the 3 dot.
The gun has been shot maybe 300 times or so, using Blazer CCI bulk pack ammo with perfect reliability.
I have not stripped it down for a thorough cleaning yet, but have run some Hoppes #9 down the barrel several times.

I shot it today, (yesterday now) in our clubs NRA pistol, steel silhouette match.

I, and the range master, were very disappointed in the accuracy of the gun. At first we thought it may have been the ammo, so I shot some "match grade" ammo that he gave me to try (dont have the name in front of me right now...hey it's 2:30 in the morning...lol) with no change in accuracy.
Then changed the front sight to the 2 dot (mid height) version.

This gun it shooting all over the place. With me, using the same point of aim, the gun shot to the right 6-8-16 inches @ 50 yds, up to a foot low, up to a foot high, up to a foot high AND to the right, and dead on....all at the same distance.
this competition also shoots @ 40, 60, 75, & 100 yds. The accuracy was just as bad at other distances.

Now I am fully aware that this is no precision piece of equipment...but, I expect / expected it to have some degree of accuracy.

This is my / our, first Sig gun, and if this is any indication of the quality...I will call this gun total junk....take my lumps....and never buy another Sig.

I enjoy this forum....have been lurking for some time. I appreciate the knowledgeable information here.

So...........if any of you should have some thoughts on this, please respond and thank you.

pb
Old April 16, 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
10-96

Hate to hear yours is a bummer- I've got one, had it for several months now and haven't even taken it to the range yet. Don't lump that one with all the other Sigs- I don't think they had much to do with the build and construction of that particular firearm other than having their name stamped on it. The P series and SP firearms are rock solid and top notch!

Not sure what to tell ya about yours, except maybe try to see what you can get in trade for a Hammerli Trailside or a Browning Buck Mark- or well anything with a more reliable trackrecord.

By the way- welcome to TFL!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
darkroommike

As others have posted this pistol is not really a Sig but is made by GSG. Mine came in through ATI, not Sig, and has been a treat to shoot. I don't know your definition of accuracy but my 1911-22 has provided hours of fun. Contact Sig, see what they can do.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
gyvel

Better choices would be the new Browning 7/8 size 1911-22, or the new Rock Island XT22.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have not stripped it down for a thorough cleaning yet
This could be part of the problem. Always strip and thourougly clean a new gun before you ever fire it. It's just common sense for it to be cleaned and well-lubed. It also gives you an opportunity to see how everything works and inspect for any possible issues.

Quote:
This is my / our, first Sig gun, and if this is any indication of the quality...I will call this gun total junk....take my lumps....and never buy another Sig.
The SIG 1911-22 is not made by SIG Sauer. It is made by GSG in Germany and imported by SIG. The exact same gun is also imported by ATI and sold as the GSG 1911 (for about $50 less). The GSG design is one of the better-regarded dedicated .22LR 1911-style guns and should be fairly accurate. My guess is that if a good cleaning and lubrication don't fix the problem, a trip back to SIG will. They'll take care of you.

Quote:
Better choices would be the new Browning 7/8 size 1911-22, or the new Rock Island XT22.
gyvel, this is opinion is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the discussion. If you want a true 1911 training simulator, the undersized Browning is out of the question. The Rock Island XT22 is a brand new and unproven design, so it is impossible to call it a "better choice".
Old April 16, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Marquezj16

Quote:
This gun it shooting all over the place. With me, using the same point of aim, the gun shot to the right 6-8-16 inches @ 50 yds, up to a foot low, up to a foot high, up to a foot high AND to the right, and dead on....all at the same distance. this competition also shoots @ 40, 60, 75, & 100 yds. The accuracy was just as bad at other distances.
I like my Sig 1911-22 but I don't think of it as a target pistol. At 25 yards I'm lucky to hit the 8.5x11 paper my target is printed on. It's a good plinking pistol that works great with the ammo it likes (CCI SV, Blazer, Fed Auto Match).
Old April 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #7
dgludwig

I assume you (and your shooting companion) are testing the accuracy of the pistol by shooting from some sort of rest?
Welcome to The Firing Line!
Old April 16, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
pb803

thank you for all of the reply's....and welcomes.....much appreciated.

I expect this Sig to be fairly accurate @ 25 yds...no tight groups mind you, but consistent anyway and in the same time zone.

We do own a Buckmark....it is a great little pistol and very accurate....will keep it forever.

I knew about tearing the Sig down and giving it a thorough initial cleaning...for whatever reason....just didn't do it this time....my bad. It will be done this week, then I will return to the range.

We shot the Sig with a rest, but the match is free hand,...so the gun was shot both ways on Sunday, with no consistency.

I have really begun to dislike this Sig...if the cleaning doesn't work, I will have to call Sig and see what they can do. The gun may become my newest boat anchor....just not heavy enough.

The next 22 for the wife will be a Ruger SR 22.....if you have any horror stories on this one....please bring 'em on quick before I make another mistake.

Again........thanks for all the comments.
pb
Old April 16, 2012, 09:42 PM   #9
whippoorwill

Quote:
the gun shot to the right 6-8-16 inches @ 50 yds
50 yards might be a tad bit ambitious for such a pistol.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #10
pb803

the gun showed me it COULD be accurate.....I shot 3 pigs in a row @ 60yds...surprised the hel* outta me and the ro.

again........the problem is the lack of consistency.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
wolverine_173

Ive put 1000 rounds threw mine without any problems. Ive found it to the the most reliable semi auto in its price range. Besides the ruger mark series. But their action is completely different. For a gun that looks and feel like a real semi auto its amazing.

Mine is also very accurate with bulk ammo. Shoots golf balls all day long at 15 yards.

I would suggest a field strip and clean i do it to mine after every shoot. its not very hard to do
Old April 16, 2012, 11:06 PM   #12
pb803

wolverine......

which front sight are you running...???
Old April 16, 2012, 11:28 PM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
gyvel, this is opinion is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the discussion. If you want a true 1911 training simulator, the undersized Browning is out of the question. The Rock Island XT22 is a brand new and unproven design, so it is impossible to call it a "better choice".
If that's the case, then OP should have just gotten a Colt .22 Conversion Unit.

Regarding the Browning or the XT, I'll take steel or aluminum over Zamak pot metal any day.
Old April 17, 2012, 11:13 AM   #14
wolverine_173

The one that was on it when i bought it
Old April 17, 2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

M1911.org tested a GSG. If the formatting will copy over, here are their accuracy results for 25 yards:

Quote:
[table="head"]Ammo|Avg. Group (inches)|Avg. Group (mm)|Best Group (inches)|Best Group (mm)

CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr. (1070 fps)|
2.16"
|
|
2.13"
|

Remington Thunderbolt 40 gr. (1255 fps)|
2.52"
|
|
2.19"
|

Federal HV Match Velocity 40 gr. (1200 fps)|
1.68"
|
|
1.11"
|

CCI Mini-Mag HP 36 gr. (1260 fps)|
1.77"
|
|
1.68"
|

CCI Mini-Mag HV 40 gr. (1235 fps)|
1.59"
|
|
1.26"
|

[/table]
The full review can be found here: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=124

Hmmm ... Preview of the post shows me that trying to copy over their table failed miserably, so just go to the review and scroll down to a little beyond halfway.
Old April 18, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
pb803

After a total take down cleaning, AND a thorough scrubbing of the barrel...
I returned to the club and set up my target at 25 yds.

I did forget to take the extra front sights and allen wrench to change / adjust...which I needed.

Shot around 200 rounds. I was able to get about a 6" grouping this time.....just....no where near where near my POA....but consistent @ about 9" high and 6" right.

came home and changed the front sight from the 2 dot to the 1 dot....hoping that will bring the shots down....then I will have to adjust the rear sight. I won't forget the extra sights or tools next time.

Note on these sights:
with an allen screw to tighten down on the barrel, when you DO get the sight tight enough to not move around, and be stable, the set screw causes the sight to bow. JUNK..!!! The trigger is also JUNK, but this post began about accuracy...so I'll not get started on the trigger.

I dont expect this gun to become any more accurate. IMO this pistol is total JUNK, a total waste of money, and I don't care how well your particular gun can shoot....THIS gun is TOTAL CRAP.

DO NOT BUY THIS GUN...!!!

One more trip to the range before I send it to Sig.

AB....thanks for that chart...I figured it out.

I am not getting anywhere close to those numbers with our performance using the CCI Blazer 1235 fps, 40 gr. (which is highly accurate in our Buckmark and 15-22) or LAPUA GmbH Schonebeck / ELBE German match ammo (which I don't know anything about or have ever heard of, but was given to me by the RO to test).

AND Wolverine...
" The one that was on it when i bought it "

is this supposed to be a joke....???? If you can't do any better than that, please don't waste anyone's time and just don't post....ok..?....thank you.

JUNK.....TOTAL JUNK...!!!
Old April 18, 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
AND Wolverine...
" The one that was on it when i bought it "

is this supposed to be a joke....???? If you can't do any better than that, please don't waste anyone's time and just don't post....ok..?....thank you.
Lighten up. I think he was just telling you that he was using the factory installed sight. What was so hard to figure out about that? You asked what sight he was using and he told you.

You have my sympathies, though, as nothing is more frustrating that to have high expectations with a new gun, only to have nothing but problems.

One of the other posters pointed out that the all steel Rock Island XT 22, being relatively new on the market is "unproven," but the Zamak 1911s haven't been around much longer, and I've been hearing/reading a lot of complaints about them. (Umarex. GSG, etc.)

And, yes, the Browning is 85% the size of a 1911, but as a "training simulator," it still fills the bill as the function and operation is identical to that of a full size 1911. I personally think it's especially suited for a woman or any other person with smaller hands.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:48 PM   #18
PT-92

Couldn't be more happy with my GSG 1911-22.
Old April 18, 2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Marquezj16

It seems to me that the pistol functioned but had poor accuracy and the plastic sights are not to the OPs liking.

Yup, looks like you got yourself lemon. Might as well get rid of it. Maybe sell it for cheap.
Old April 18, 2012, 09:39 PM   #20
PT-92

I really like/enjoy my GSG and would not hesitate to recommend. That being said, I am surprised that SIG did not market their own pistol ( I realize costs played a role etc.).

-Cheers
Old April 18, 2012, 10:29 PM   #21
darkroommike

OK, I'll give you that the sights could be better. But the sights provided do adjust for windage and elevation. And the sight dovetails are standard Novak so you can replace the sights. I, too, tend to overtighten the sights but I'm better if I remind myself that the sights do not need to be torqued down. I've put 260 rounds through mine this week alone. (And it's only Wednesday).

Does it shoot as well as a Buckmark? (I don't know.) Does it shoot and take down like a 1911? Yes it does. Does it look like a 1911? Heck yes! Is it the most fun you can have for under $400 that doesn't involve a trip to the Chicken Ranch? Oh Yeah!

I don't think it's a coincidence that SIG introduced a centerfire 1911 and imported the GSG 1911 under their name at the same time. I also don't think Sig Sauer would put their name on anything they are ashamed of. Have you contacted Sig Sauer yet?
Old April 18, 2012, 10:44 PM   #22
pb803

my high quality German craftsmanship POS pistol came with 3 different front blade sights, differentiated by "dots" on the sight. There is a 1 dot, a 2 dot and a 3 dot front blade sight, of different and increasingly taller blade heights, and the small allen wrench to change from one to the other.

That is why I took the comment as a smart assed one. I assumed (uh-ohhh, we all know what that means) that all of these guns came with a package of 3 sights. Maybe not.
If all of these wonderful pistols are not packaged with 3 different front blade sights....then I am mistaken, and do apologize.

the pistol did function properly....no problems whatsoever there....no FTF, FTE, stovepipes or jams. But the accuracy and cheapo front sights vs the costs for the pistol and mags make this a POS gun.

I am happy that some of you have received guns that actually work as they should....and are accurate.
yeah....I just got a lemon....and I'm a little less than pleased.....
could you tell....lol...???

I'll play with the sights some more and then probably send it to Sig and see what they can do / will do......then I'll sell the damn thing.

sorry if I have offended anyone....I really like the forum.

pb
Old April 19, 2012, 05:10 AM   #23
excelerater

the sig/gsg look nice but they are really pretty shoddy
mine exploded on me in my face and was a warrenty nightmare ...
Avoid the GSG ATI big time
Old April 19, 2012, 06:22 AM   #24
PT-92

excelerater, can you post pics/GSG correspondence for our edification?

*edited to add link (looks like this guy says his craked after 20K rounds (Did your's personally crack excelerator and can we get the pics):

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-cracked.html

After somewhere between 15 to 20,000 rounds of Federal bulk box 550 count 22LR my gun quit working,as I loked it over to see why I couldn't pull the trigger I noticed the rear of the slide wasn't engaging the slide rails on the frame,I then looked at the top of the slide and on the top left side of the ejection port and moving rearward there was a crack in the slide.I'm charging my camera batteries and pics will be up later,I plan on calling ATI later and sending pics of the gun,the new SIg Sauer 1911-22 is the same gun with the Sig name

Honestly, if I get 15-20k out of a sub-$400 pistol and GSG replaces the slide, I'll call it even.

-Cheers

Last edited by PT-92; April 19, 2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added link
Old April 29, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
M4BGRINGO

Well, too late to turn back now. I bought it for shooting steel, that is it. I thought it looked cool. Already have a S&W 617 that is just fine for steel. Have 10 bullets loaded to hit 5 plates, even I can do that!

My only problem is that once in awhile it does not load the next round. No problem ejecting the previous round. I will try a different brand of ammo. One brand was stovepiping a lot, learned that was NOT the ammo to use. Will keep that for the revolver which never, ever lets me down.