The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2014, 03:45 PM   #1
jag2

Powered depriming

I'm not that good at tinkering but do have some good ideas from time to time. I always find depriming and belling kind of boring and do load several hundred rounds a week of mostly 9mm and 45 ACP. I've looked at some short stroke actuators on line and it seems to have potential. Put the case in place, hit a foot switch and let the actuator do the rest. So far it is just in my head and may not even be possible, don't know yet. Anyone ever looked into the idea?
Old December 19, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Bart B.

Use a sizing die with a decapping pin in it. That's what I do for 9mm, 38 Spcl and .357 Mag cases.
Old December 19, 2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Unless the actuator is on the end of the rail of a model train, and the impact of the engine is decapping it, it is hard to imagine making the operation interesting. But for speed, the Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die comes about as close as you can expect to get, I think. To make a motorized unit worthwhile you'd want to make it autonomous. That is, automatic case feed and everything else, so you can do something at the bench while it runs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 19, 2014, 06:53 PM   #4
jag2

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I'm not trying to reinvent reloading. I'm trying to make the actuator do the up and down motion of my press (currently a Forster Co-Ax which I love) instead of me pulling the handle. Put a shell in the holder, hit a foot pedal, take the shell out, repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't think I would mess with my Co-Ax, got an old Rockchucker I might experiment with. Nobody's thought of this before?
Old December 19, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
skizzums

jmorris will show up soon enough and put your idea into picture form, pretty sure anyways, maybe even video
Old December 19, 2014, 07:58 PM   #6
jmorris

Size/deprime and swaging 4300/hr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ieGYpdr9I

This is a stock (except for the handle) Lee single stage powered by a gear motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg
Old December 19, 2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Jeff2131

Thats just friggin awesome!!!! And to the OP... Yes, i have thought of fabricating to create a semiauto reloading.operation. but jmorris just took it to a whole new homemade level!
Old December 19, 2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

And I'll note again that the operations in the videos are essentially autonomous. Nobody sticking fingers in for each operation and risking losing them because the machine won't notice the pain and stop. For something you are feeding by hand to the press, one at a time, I would strongly recommend using a two-palm-button actuating switch, same as for any industrial press, and not a foot pedal. The dual buttons force you to get both hands clear before the press can run its stroke. Otherwise, it's pretty easy for a momentary lapse in attention or twitch of the foot to cost you a finger or thumb.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 19, 2014, 10:44 PM   #9
jmorris

I agree. if fingers are going to be involved and you just want to save your arm, a foot operated linkage would be a much better idea.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:02 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Maybe instead of trying to run a single stage at 400 per hour just take that money and buy a progressive.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:27 PM   #11
jag2

I owned a printing company for 28 years. All our paper cutters had the 2 button system plus an electric eye so I'm familiar with that concept. I like that Lee modification but I'm not quite smart enough to design and build something that nice. Oh well, I'll keep pondering.