The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
simonrichter

Beretta 950 Jetfire vs. Taurus PT22 / PT25 PLY

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy me a Taurus PT22 PLY. Used to own a Beretta 950 Jetfire and it was REALLY a tiny gun. Though the lenght of the PT22 polymer is hardly exceeding the Beretta, still the guns seems to be less petite overall. Maybe someone of you has a side-by-side comparison picture or at least some experience (namely owning both guns) he wants to share, maybe?

thanks
Old February 27, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Pianoguy

I don't own the Taurus but I have a Beretta 21a Bobcat, which is maybe a little tiny bit bigger than a Jetfire. The Taurus grip is definitely bigger than my Bobcat's. It holds another round (8 vs 7) in the magazine so it's longer but it is also thicker. Weight wise there are about the same but that grip makes the Taurus a obviously bigger gun in the pocket. Although it's certainly still a sub-compact it doesn't seem to me any smaller than most of the sub-compact 380acp and 9mm guns out there.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
weblance

I have the Taurus PLY-22, A Beretta Bobcat, and numerous other pocket pistols. The Taurus PLY-22 is MUCH smaller than any of the 9mm pocket pistols. Its like the size of my fist with just a little bit of barrel sticking out. I like it better than my Beretta, holds an extra round, better sights, and is $100 cheaper. Better trigger also in Double Action. I cant compare it to the JetFire, but I will give my recommendation for its function, and reliability. It has loaded and ejected every round I have put thru it. Thats almost 2,000 rounds now. If I try to stage the DAO trigger, trying to get the best accuracy out of it, every once in a great while, it wont fire. I think maybe the tiny hammer doesnt get enough energy going to crush the rim enough. A second pull will always fire the cartridge. If I pull the trigger briskly, it fires every time. Its not a target pistol, and sometimes I try to make it one, and it wasnt designed for that. It is a great little pistol, and is reliable. Keep your round count in your head, because it doesnt lock open on an empty round, and dry firing the 10th round will cause a firing pin dent in the chamber. Shoot 9 rounds and stop. It does have a magazine disconnect, unlike the Beretta, but that is easily removed, if you choose to do so. The pinky extension on the magazine allows for a full grip, unlike the Beretta, where your pinky hangs free. I love the PLY-22 and think its a great little 22 pistol.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #4
simonrichter

Thanks for your input so far!
Old March 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Bulldawg55

Beretta 950 Jetfire vs. Taurus PT22 / PT25 PLY

Honestly I have no experience with the Taurus. Wouldn't own one!
I had a 950 BS and a 21A and they were both fine guns. Wish I still had them. They would not replace my P32 which replaced them. The P32 is lighter,thinner, and packs more punch. The Berettas would just be fun to plink with every once in a while.
Someone around here says "Never sell or trade anything."
That sounds good. I just can't afford to uphold that philosophy!
Old March 5, 2013, 09:48 PM   #6
amd6547

The PT22 I bought was the best looking, worst performing pistol I have owned. It was a total POS jammamatic.
When it did fire, the bullets keyholed badly at 10 feet.
While the PT22 was at Taurus under warranty, I bought the Beretta Bobcat I should have in the first place...it is completely reliable and pop can accurate at 25yds.
Sold the first and last Taurus I will ever own shortly after it got back. I fired one full magazine successfully...keyholing every round.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

My PT-22 has never missed a beat. The vast majority of what it's eaten has been Rem Yellow Jackets, and since Taurus recommend against them due to their design not being conducive to reliability, I guess I got a good one. I'm no Taurus fanboy, in fact I've sold one of my Taurus', but this is one I'll never sell.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:36 AM   #8
aarondhgraham

The grip on a 22-PLY is thicker than the Beretta,,,

The grip on a 22-PLY is thicker than the Beretta,,,
Not by very much but you can feel it.

My 22-PLY, along with the 25-ply, has been absolutely reliable,,,
I used to only shoot CCI Mini-Mags through it,,,
But she runs perfectly on Federal bulk.

My only gripe about the gun is,,,
It has a long trigger reset.

Other than that it's been a great little performer,,,
And I shoot this little gun quite a lot,,,
At least 2 mags every range trip.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Tags
beretta , jetfire , ply , taurus