The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 24, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Hook686

"How would you feel if ...

... you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs?

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”? ...."

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/dis...-or-ammunition

I'd feel pretty damned angry. Unfortunately in this current political swirl I could see such happening. It is not always, 'For the children', sometimes ,'It is in your best interest.'

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 24, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
lamarw

I read this was occuring to a certain categorys of Vets by the VA. I read the documents supposedly being sent to these veterans.

After reading the letter with its attachements, I would say if a person is disabled to the point they can not manange the receipt of their disability check then maybe they should not be handling or have possession of a firearm or even be driving for that matter. The supposed letter seem to indicate these veterans required a court appointed guardianship to handle their financial matters.

Here is a link to another article discussing this issue: http://www.bob-owens.com/2013/02/don...28Bob+Owens%29

It is sad, but the truth is there are people out there including those who have made extreme sacrifices to their country who should not be permitted to have a firearm since they are a danger to others and themself.

I have to assume this is happening only in extreme cases.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Already under discussion here.