The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Hank15

shot 5 stand and skeet today

My midterms are finally over, so I decided to hit the clay fields with my friends.

I shot two rounds of 5 stand and one round of skeet today.

I'll be honest, I performed poorly on 5 stand. I hit 8 birds/rabbits the first round and 11 the second round.

But they were the most satisfying hits I have experienced.

I especially liked the bird tossed from machine 7, which was a high angle shot.
It was a blast, even though I missed it a few times.

I've really learned to appreciate clay games since I've first picked up trap.

I don't really have anyone but myself to blame for my addiction to trap. But I think I'll have to credit my addiction to 5 stand and skeet to zippy and oneounce. Expect to hear complaints from my wallet .

But in all seriousness, I am glad I got into the clay sports. Hopefully I can still enjoy them 20 years from now.

By the way, thank you guys (not just zippy and oneounce, but everyone who helped) for helping me during my learning phase.
Old April 25, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great, I love happy beginnings....

All the clay games are fun. 5 stand has its challenges, here it's a hinky dropping battue at 20 yards and a tricky incomer that has to be taken around 30.

Don't feel bad about the scores. Just have fun, be safe and as you get better, the fun increases.
Old April 25, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3
oneounceload

Yet ANOTHER addict.............

One addiction worth having - I am on vacation and jonesing for some sporting clays right now........

What's neat about 5-stand and sporting is every place is different and as you go to various places, the challenges become different enough that IMO, it helps make you a better bird hunter
Old April 25, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Jeremiah/Az

Hank, if you liked 5 stand you will love sporting clays. You don't have to stand quietly & look crabby like a trapshooter.LOL. You can talk & laugh with people close to you as long as they are not shooting in a tournament, discussing shots etc. Lots of fun!
Old April 26, 2010, 12:40 AM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
You don't have to stand quietly & look crabby like a trapshooter.
My first impression of a 5-stand layout was that it was designed for trap shooters who hadn't learned to play well with others while in kindergarten.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No dissin' trapshooters here. While I'm not one, some good friends are.

And they're not crabby, though I admit they can be, uh, opinionated.

But then so can I.

If all goes to plan I should be shooting some 5 stand next Saturday.
Old April 26, 2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Last time I shot 5 stand I got my arse kicked.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 26, 2010, 11:51 AM   #8
oneounceload

Our 5-stand has 12 machines, including an outgoing elevated wobble trap. Some of the targets can get pretty tricky, depending on which end you're shooting from, but for the most part, it is a lot of fun. Right next to it we have a practice FITASC parcour set up - great practice for long sporting targets.

Tons of fun!
Old April 26, 2010, 12:01 PM   #9
BigJimP

Glad to hear things went well ....
----------------------
I had the priveledge of shooting with one of my sons and an 18yr old grandson yesterday -- did mostly 5 Stand and Continental Trap. They live about 3 hours south of me ....so its kind of long day for me / but its worth it. They both averaged about 17 /18 ---and I had to work my butt off to maintain a 21/22 or so.....

They're hooked on 5 Stand ...and were doing very well ...until I asked them about switching from Report to True pairs .....and the 17/18's dropped to a 10/12 pretty quickly. There was a "master class" shooter that was graciously helping me coach the boys up a little / helping them on hold points and lead. It was a great day .... 7 rounds of 5 stand / 1 Continental in about 5 hours ...../ then a 3 hour drive home ... I limped in around 10PM ( after being up at 5AM ) ...