The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 03:01 PM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Rizzini Verona - I'm new to this game!

Howdy to the scattergunners; this is my first trip to this part of the TFL forums. I come seeking wisdom, either in the form of chatter or links, and you guys are always spot on.

I just bought a used Rizzini over & under (Verona lx502). It came with three chokes, which seem to be marked by notches. The installed chokes have 3 (upper barrel) and four (lower barrel) notches. The other choke has only one.

Can anyone help to identify what the notches mean, and/or which chokes I should be using? My first trip out with this gun will be an informal pheasant hunt. There should be plenty of time to sling some clays and play around before we try to hit any feathers but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm dealing with before wasting any time.

Moving along...I've not been bird hunting in years and frankly I don't know half as much as I'd like to. What size shot is best for a pheasant? Is there a preferred load (field? magnum?), or does it not matter much? If it matters, I believe the Verona has a 3" chamber.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
oneounceload

Here's a good chart on chokes:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

as for pheasant, try some #6 or #5, especially if their wild, long-flushers
Old October 29, 2008, 06:19 PM   #3
the_pragmaticist

That's a good rundown on chokes. The site is full of info...I learned more than I'd like to admit just reading the glossary.

One definition stood out in particular...

Release Trigger - A trigger mechanism which sets when pulled, and then fires when released. Sometimes fitted to competition shotguns for shooters who are bothered by flinching, but perilous in the hands of someone not expecting such an arrangement.
Old October 29, 2008, 06:29 PM   #4
the_pragmaticist

Regarding shot size - do you go to a larger or smaller projectile size based on distance? These are cage-raised birds, so they're not too ornery (they've been around gunfire and what have you as the pen is near where we shoot targets). I would guess a larger pellet (and possibly a tighter choke) for a longer shot based on ballistics, but I've been wrong before.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:04 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgraebert
One definition stood out in particular...

Release Trigger - A trigger mechanism which sets when pulled, and then fires when released. Sometimes fitted to competition shotguns for shooters who are bothered by flinching, but perilous in the hands of someone not expecting such an arrangement.
Yes... they are out there, and there's an abundance of anecdotal horror stories involving gun mix-ups. The typical release trigger shooter might be described as an old time trap shooter looking for a last resort cure for flinching before he retires from shotgunning.

Most conscientious shooters will put a big red label on their gun "Caution - Release trigger." And, it's a common courtesy to announce that you're using a release trigger to the other squad members during practice and competition rounds.

Unfortunately, some shooters don't want other folks to know they have a release trigger. They are self-conscious about their flinching problem and don't want it to become common knowledge. The ATA rules do not address release triggers, but some gun clubs require warning labels.

It's enough that you are aware of release triggers, and the possibility that you might inadvertently mistake a release trigger equipped gun as your own. If you ever pull the trigger and nothing happens, the possibility of a release trigger is one more reason to keep it pointed in a safe direction until the trigger is released and the gun cleared.

Quote:
I would guess a larger pellet (and possibly a tighter choke) for a longer shot based on ballistics, but I've been wrong before.
You're correct; but, there's another consideration... The shot must also be large enough to get the job done. I'm sure you're aware of terms like bird shot and buck shot. Also, you want your shot just big enough so you maximize your pellet count. If your shot size is over-kill, then you sacrifice the pellet count. You're after a max pellet count -- that's why your shooting shot instead of bullets, in the first place.

Last edited by zippy13; October 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: CT4S
Old October 30, 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
BigJimP

For early season pheasants/or almost any pen raised birds - or over good dogs - I use 6's because the birds are sticking a little better. As the season goes on / birds are flushing a little further out, or they get a little more wary, I will often go to 4's. My experience with pen raised birds - is they don't fly or run too aggressively.

Some guys alternate / one barrel is loaded with 4's with an IC choke / one with 6's and a MOD choke. Or they may alternate in a semi-auto as well / so the 6's come as 1st shell / 2nd and 3rd might be 4's. If I'm hunting with the kids - and stictly shooting as a backup / cleanup - I may even go to 2's for the longer range cleanup shots unless we have a good dog so a cripple doesn't get away / and I'll put in a tighter choke. No matter what, I always have extra chokes / a couple boxes of shells with me in a variety of sizes ( a pair of suspenders / an extra vest pocket are good things to haul extra stuff ). Its more fun to watch the kids shoot and work the dogs anyway....