The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2008, 09:25 AM   #1
ForneyRider

Range Day

Spent the day at the range yesterday with Rem .41 Mag, 45ACP, and Rem. 7mm Mag. Lots of black rifles there.

Here is some chrony data (recorded at 12ft, at mid-day):

Spingfield Loaded 1911 stainless (5in)
I use Lee FCD at .469in crimp. 1.21in OAL.

230gr JHP, 7.0gr Power Pistol, WLP
8rnd Magazine averaged: 897fps

230gr JHP, 7.5gr Power Pistol, WLP
8rnd Magazine averaged: 963fps
SD: had 2 that were 1010fps, and one low at 910fps, rest were pretty close to average.
I've seen load data of 8.1gr, but I am stopping 7.5gr, which is the (max) on factory data.
These will be/are my +P self defense ammo.

Factory Rem. 230gr MC UMC ammo: 850fps
1 did not fire, but SD was amazing like 3.
I never had a failure to fire with Winchester White Box. This was my first box of UMC. In their 2008 catalog, they show they use their own 2 1/2 primers.

Everything cycled great in my stock 1911. But some of the brass really ejected pretty far. I hit an AK, AR-15 guy at 50yard range that was 5-6 stations down. Brass catcher going on the list.

I did some .41 mag too, but got a lot of errors on the chrony. Maybe I need to place further out from my shooting rest?
Old April 20, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You'll find commercial standard pressure .45 ACP is generally loaded to about 350 ft-lbs, while military hardball is loaded to about 390 ft-lbs. The load manual maximums try to get you up to the military numbers.

Sounds like you've got a little way to go to catch up to the commercial loads on velocity consistency? A faster powder will improve that because it burns more completely in a short barrel. Try working loads up with W231. Also with any ball powders, trying a warmer primer may help? The Winchester LP primer is a dual purpose primer, and of course you have all the magnum primer brands to choose from. Velocity will not be as high, but the consistency should improve.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle