The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

223 die set question.

A shooting buddy just bought an AR-15 (I consider it a waste of money) and he also spent a King’s ransom to purchase everything he needs to start reloading. He knows I reload for my Browning BAR in .06 caliber and he asked me what set of dies he should buy. The set with the small base resizer or just a regular full length resizer set?
I use the regular old full length resizer set and I’ve never had a problem.

I’d like to give him some advice, but the last time I fired anything similar to a 223 caliber rifle was during the “police action” in southeast Asia and that one belonged to the USMC. Our Government was generous in those days.

I’ve only loaded ammo for one semi-auto rifle; my own! That’s not an experience level that would allow me to render advice.

Do 223’s need to be chocked down using the small base die set to prevent problems, or can he get away with the standard full length resizing die set?
Old February 1, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
rjrivero

Any Regular old Full Lenth die.

A full length sizer should be fine. I load for my AR, AR PISTOL, and my brother steals some rounds now and again for his AR, and AR Pistol. That's four separate ARs eating the same realoads.

I have not needed a small base die YET (Thank goodness.)

I haven't run across any Machine gun fired brass which tends to be a bit "generous" in the chamber and may require a small base sizing die to reshape the brass to spec. (So I've been told.)
Old February 1, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
fella5

I reload for my AR and I use a FL die. No poblems so far
Old February 1, 2010, 06:16 PM   #4
qwman68

You might want to get a crimp die.. I put a light crimp on mine just to be safe.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:05 PM   #5
jepp2

I have a set of small base dies for 223 that I have never needed to use.

A cartridge gauge is extremely valuable to make sure you are getting the shoulder set back properly when sizing. If you don't properly set back the shoulder, you will have trouble with the bolt not locking up.

I have a set of Lyman dies that will not adequately set back the shoulder, no matter how it is adjusted. So the cartridge gauge is an excellent way to check and adjust your dies for an AR.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:27 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have an AR-15 with a military barrel, it's a chrome lined FNMI and I have no idea how it made it into the civilian market.

Despite that it's military manufacture, it's got a tight chamber and requires me to use the SB dies. It will not feed properly with regular dies. If I were buying new dies, I'd start with the SB- it cannot hurt and it may help.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:35 PM   #7
isanchez2008

Used both full length and small base. I started off with the small base RCBS dies. Down the road I also purchased Hornady FL dies. The FL dies work just fine for my AR and Sig 556.
Old February 2, 2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Dr Killdeer

Once again, thanks for the feedback. This one looks like a close call. Some guys use the SB die sets out of necessity, while others do just fine with standard dies.
At least I got the answer I was looking for and that is; there is no easy answer! This one can only be worked out by trial and error. It’s going to depend on the individual rifle.

Every time I think I’m getting a handle on this stuff, something comes up that makes me realize; I don’t know ^%$#. But at least I can log on and draw knowledge from more experienced reloaders.
Thanks again guys!