The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 14, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1
User Name

Building a home range backstop (help)

I hope this is the right place for this. If not sorry, feel free to move.

I want to set-up a range in my back yard. I live way out in the country, but it's kinda flat. My neighbers are all pretty far away, but I want to take ZERO chances.
Whats the best way to build up my backstop, and what materials.
I have lots of thoughts, everything from sandbags to cross-tie walls filled with dirt. But I want to know what someone who actualy runs, or has built a range thinks on this matter.
Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S. will be used for everything up to and inclunding .50 handguns, .50 muzzleloaders, and 45-70 rifles.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 14, 2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Pbridges

How deep is your water table? You could bring in a dozer and cut down in one direction. Use the dirt to build berms around it. Dig it right, and ain't no bullets coming out of there.
Old October 14, 2004, 08:13 PM   #3
User Name

That thought did accure to me but I'm fairly certain that my water table will not allow that.
Too bad to, cause thats prolly the easiest and simpliest solution.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."

Old October 14, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4
kelsey

We built a really good range out on the farm. We used the front end loader to scrape into the ground about 2 feet and then brought in more dirt and piled around it. We then used railroad ties to "Secure" The walls by stacking them on top of each other and then nailing them together with a tack strip. It looks like and oversized horseshoe pit. The back wall is about 3.5-4 feet thick and has stopped everything that has bee shot into it for the last 20 years.

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
High Mountain Hunting Supply
Old October 15, 2004, 08:40 AM   #5
garrettwc

Send a PM to Denny Hansen here on the forum.

IIRC, he built one on his land and wrote it up for SWAT mag. It was a total DIY project and he seemed pretty pleased with the results.
Old October 15, 2004, 09:36 AM   #6
User Name

Thanks for the tip...

Old October 17, 2004, 08:20 PM   #7
DT Guy

Not sure of the actual link, but the NRA has tons of info on how to construct a safe range. I think they even publish a book on it...

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 17, 2004, 03:15 PM   #8
kdkaiser

MY Range

My range berm is 30ft long and 12 ft high (+-). the back wall is telephone poles, when you stack them, swap them big end to little end, that way they stay level. The ends are railroad ties, with three poles in the front to stop the dirt from washing out. I only used two upright telephone poles for the back and it leaned(because of the weight of the dirt), I'd use 4 or 5 if I was going to rebuild it. By using the ploes and the ties, I got twice the amount of range and with the same amount of dirt. I added a RR-tie wall for my platerack, on the end. If you can get the dirt, the poles and the ties and a couple of helpers and a end loader, you should be able to do it all in a weekend.
I went this way, after my original dirt pile washed out during the summer rains.
If I ever rebuid it, I'll line the back and sides with old tinn roofing (or something like that) it will keep the dirt from washing out between the gaps in the poles or ties.
Good Luck & Good Shooting
Old December 24, 2004, 07:57 PM   #9
Ozzieman

I dont know where you live

But the one that I built and I have the same problem (flat land)
I checked around and found a company that sells old railroad ties and they would even deliever, I started with a cup shape, with the wider side facing the shooter and stacked ties. Two high and use an auger bit drilled holes and then ran 1in pipe about 4 feet into the ground. Then as it got taller, every tie got two bars that locked the ties togther. ONce the back was about 8 feet high I filled with dirt from where they were building home near, they were happy to bring the dirt since they had to get rid of it any way.
On the back of the stack of ties I bolded 1/2 inch boler plate. bought peices from a metal shop near, mostle scrap.
From one foot off the ground to 6 feet tall it has stoped 50 cal. There are no dents in the plate.