The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 8, 2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Sauer Grapes

Face to face with military personnel stationed in my state.

What are the laws for face to face with a non-resident who has military orders stationing him in my state of residence? I'm in VA.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:37 PM   #2
vranasaurus

A sevice member on permanent orders to a state is considered a resident of that state for the purpose of federal firearms law.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Sauer Grapes

Thanks! I should be able to find that on ATF online right? (not asking for someone to search for me, I can do that unless someone has the link handy).
Old March 8, 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Don H

Quote:
(B11) What constitutes residency in a State? [Back]

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b11
Old March 8, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Sauer Grapes

Thanks Don. You guys are the best!