The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2007, 02:41 PM   #1
pjn003

Need PA local for hunting whitetail

Hey guys, i normally wouldnt do this but i just got my hunting lisence and now i need to go off to college .

I live in colorado and go to school in Lewisburg PA. I really cant wait 3 more years of college before i go whitetail hunting because during the entire season i am in school.

I am looking for someone that i can go out hunting with, watch and learn how to stalk, field dress, etc... everything there is to it.

I am very interested in hunting and want to learn the sport the proper way. I have a lot of respect for hunters and i would like for someone to take me a few times even if im not the one who will be shooting the deer.

Thanks,
Phil
Old August 10, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
davlandrum

PJN - good post, looks like you are going about it the right way. I can't help you out, since I am on the wrong side of the US. Good luck!
Old August 10, 2007, 03:02 PM   #3
dustoff

pjn,
I live in PA but unfortunately I am in no position to help you. I have a 5yr old son whom I promised can accompany me this year. With that being said I would suggest that you post this same question here http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php. I have been lurking on this site for a while now and there seems to be some great guys on there. I am sure you will find some help. Do any of your buddies from school hunt? Maybe one of them will be willing to take you. I hope you find someone that can provide you with the experience you are looking for.
Old August 20, 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
togliat

Good post

pjn003,

You're going about this the right way. I used to live near Philadelphia but there is some great deer hunting in upstate PA. Currently I live in NC otherwise I would gladly help you get started after such a responsible post. I wish more people had your attitude.

Here are some easy tips;

1 - Proper bullet placement is more important than having a huge magnum caliber. I think a .243 caliber bolt action rifle would be a great gun. I use a .25-06 which is not much bigger. These lighter-kicking calibers won't cause you to develop a "flinch" before shooting. And they're plenty of gun for deer. That's one reason I also enjoy target shooting with .22LR rifles. All that being said, actual recoil during a hunt does not exist. Or at least nobody can remember it! They're too focused on the deer!

1a - Proper bullet placement means knowing something about deer anatomy.
Without going into detail, you usually want to go for a shot that will hit the heart/lungs. Remember, these organs are inside the deer, so try to picture how your bullet will strike them in 3D, keeping in mind that a deer might be broadside, quartering towards you, or quartering away from you. Don't shoot if he's mooning you. LOL. If he's quartering towards you, you need to shoot so that your bullet will not simply hit his guts as it travels through him. In a quartering away shot, you can place your bullet point of impact a little further back (posteriorly) as it will travel forwards into the heart lung area. Broadside is the easiest and you can shoot for the shoulder area, or just behind (posterior) to it but not too low. This is easy stuff but not so easy to explain by typing! LOL

2 - Don't run after your deer right away. Give them time to expire. Sometimes your chase can cause them to jump up with an adrenaline rush and run another mile! Give them 30 minutes, give or take, before going after them.

3 - most important...be a ninja in the woods. I mean it. no noise. move slow. Deer can hear a fly rubbing their wings at 50 yards! It is very easy to spook deer when you first start hunting. I've done it 2-3 times. It's still a thrill just to see the deer, even if you spook them.

4 - Be careful and thoughtful. Observe all the safety rules for firearms and tree stands. Have fun & enjoy being in the woods! I enjoyed observing many animals that never knew I was there.