The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Stephanie B

Meade Spotting Scopes?

I was in a BJ's Wholesale Club; they had Meade spotting scopes (variable to 60X) on sale for $50.

My need for one is to be able to see .223 and .30 holes in paper at 200 yards. I have read that some of the cheaper scopes won't do the job and I was looking at a Konus for four times the price.

Has anyone used the Meade spotting scopes?

Stephanie
Old December 30, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Stephanie, this was discussed rather extensively a few years back. There's a lot of information there. Here's the link.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=meade

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 30, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Stephanie B

Capt. Charlie,

Thanks. The thread, though, discusses the Meade astronomical telescopes, not their spotting scope. Still, there are some good pointers. I'll check out the Alpen scopes.

Stephanie
Old December 31, 2010, 07:57 AM   #4
grumpa72

Another suggestion is Konus - http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CD4Q8wIwAg#

I just got one for Christmas based on the following thread - http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm. My kids bought it for me and I took it to the range. Very nice. The stand is ok, not great, but ok and the optics are very good. I believe that this is a great compromise between high end optics and good price. It could use a hard case and I think I will be going to Harbor Freight to see if they have something that will work.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Stephanie B

Grumpa, thank you for that. I'll probably wait until Midway Arms puts them on sale, again.

Stephanie