The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1
castnblast

COL tollerances- what's yours?

Just curious...due to variations in ogive, and soft points, for your HUNTING rounds, what do you accept as an acceptable tollerance in COL variations? I've been using a .003+or-. These rounds are not being loaded to the lands and grooves. They are pretty close to factory specs...in particular, 22-250. I'm using 2.350 as my median.
Old September 22, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
kirbymagnum

I keep my hunting rounds with in 0.002" + or - of eachother.
Old September 22, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Linear Thinker

It depends. Minute-of-moose accuracy requirement is not the same as minute-of-prairie-dog.
I always seat on the ogive, my COL with soft-pointed bullets is +- 0.010. With plastic tipped Nosler and Hornady 22 and 6mm bullets, the COL is within .003.
LT
Old September 24, 2007, 02:04 PM   #4
30Cal

I don't worry about it. The ogive is what counts, not the tip. The seating die should seat from the ogive. Tips vary on the bullet from one to the next, so if you make all the tips the same, then the ogives (what counts) will be all over the place.

Ty
Old September 24, 2007, 03:07 PM   #5
rwilson452

I would suggest you start seating them out further I would suggest you seat them out in 0.005 steps you should see a pont of maximum accuracy. Don't seat all the way into the lands. Generally you will find that somewhere between .015 and .030 off the lands works best. with some rifles the throat is so deep you can't do this. you want to leave about .224 of bullet in the case at least. I can't resolve this any closer for you as every rifle is different. Once you get the best C.O.A.L you might want to tweek your powder charge again.
Old September 24, 2007, 05:55 PM   #6
firechicken

I use a Stoney Point comparator to find the seating depth of my precision rifle loads. It measures the bullets from the ogive instead of on the tip. I've found that when I use quality bullets....or at least medium quality bullets......that the variance is 0.000". That's using the Lee "dead length" seater die.
Old September 28, 2007, 02:40 PM   #7
castnblast

Thanks. I'm going to look into one of those. How do they work? (Stoney point comparator)