The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1
brokenanew

New pistol loader .40 S&W help (Glock 27)

I have loaded for rifles for sometime but now I have endeavored to reload for my....Glock 27 .40. I know Ive heard some horror stories.
Here is what I have and what ill be using: I like Lee stuff so dont knock it plz.
Lee Carbide 4 die kit
Lee bulge buster
Lyman case gauge as well as a caliber gauge.
Lee case trimmer

Starting off with 180Gr Hornadys
Unique powder - I plan to start low(4.5gr)really don't want to go above 5.0 gr
Range brass
Wolf Primers

Ok so give me some pointers, what to look for, what to look out for. Or some loads that have worked well for you. I want to be extra careful due to the Glock issues. Someday Ill trade the Glock in but for now, gotta use it. So help is appreciated.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
nova609

Well, I must first say that I am not an "experienced" reloader. As a matter of fact I have two calibers under my belt as of july of 2012, which ared .270 and .40....So with that said, I had the same apprehension, read all about the .40 caliber and the glock being dangerous and what not. But to be honest, I've ran about 300 or so reloaded rounds through my glock 23 without a single issue...knock on wood

Hopefully I get some reassurance from the experienced guys here, but the way I look at it, if I keep two things constant, charge and cartridge overall length, then I should be safe................this is where the seasoned guys chime in.......

I know there are quite a few steps in the reloading process, but the thing that "scares" me is a catastrophic ignition. So the way I look at it is if I am very meticulous with my measurements, then I should be safe.....

My recipe is 180gr RNFP, 5.8 grains of Unique, and COAL of 1.125......this has worked for me flawlessly in my glock.

Don't forget to crimp.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:27 PM   #3
brokenanew

Thank u! I'm pretty ocd so hopefully that will serve me well in this matter.
5.8? Isn't the max for that powder 5.6? At least that's what is listed in the
Lyman 49th. Your brave. I'm hoping diligence will eliminate issues.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:01 AM   #4
bigfinger76

According to Alliant's website, 6.7 grains is the MAX charge, so a good starting point would be 10% of that (~6 grains). For cast bullets, you'd want to start a bit lower than 6 grains.

I load 180gr. cast at around 5.8 grains of Unique. Works great in my PX4.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:45 AM   #5
Kirkpatrick

180 gr 40 s&w is what I load the most of and I have found it's not as finicky as some make it out to be. When I started out I bought a bag of "once fired" brass and have been cranking it out ever since on my Lee classic turret press.

I don't have a Glock, but my brother has not problems running my hand loads through his. I did some looking over on the glocktalk forum because of this issue, and most agree that even through Glock says not to, that running reloads through the pistol is not a problem. If you are worried about it, you can always order a drop in barrel that is fully supported.

When I went to resize the cases he fired out of his Glock, I didn't need a bulge buster, the regular carbide did just fine.

I also have never trimmed pistol brass. When I'm loading, I pull the barrel out the the gun and just drop a bullet in the barrel every 20 rounds or so, if it goes in and seats right and comes back out just by turning it upside down, I consider this good to go.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
brokenanew

Thanks. I feel a bit more reassured now. Just trying to be smart about it. Our sport incurs some accidents that is out of anyone's hands but more importantly there is an occasional idiot. I don't want to be that guy. Ha!

One more thing, are the pressure signs on a pistol cartridge the same as rifle or are there other signs to look for?