The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
mohr308

Quick range report for .223

I took some different reloads today to test fire my rifle, had a new handguard put on my AR, so I was just testing the gas block alignment and iron sights. Everything was perfect so I tested some Nosler Varmageddon 55 grain tipped in .223. I used a range of 26-27.4 grains of CFE223, which there is no load data for. The 26gr of CFE223 with LC brass and CCI 41 primer @ 2.250 COL shot a sub MOA group at 100yds. The group was so tight all the bullets holes were touching each other, I was using my 3x Burris scope. I definitely found my new Varmint round! Wish I brought the target home for a photo
Old April 17, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2
mohr308

I loaded up some with H335, just haven't tested them yet and I was trying to find a use for the 1lb of CFE223 I have! Now I can load up that lb with those bullets and know they will shoot well!
Old April 17, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
snooze

The Nosler Reloading Guide #7 has data for this bullet with CFE 223. Starting at 26.0gn and max at 28.0gn.

What is the twist rate on your barrel? I have quite a few of these bullets, but have not changed my seating die to load any to mag length yet.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
mohr308

I have the Nosler guide #6, must be why I didn't find anything! 1:9 twist rate, was very surprised at my results
Old April 18, 2013, 05:20 AM   #5
rebs

Quote:
I like those bullets! I use h322 tho.
Are you also shooting an AR ?
What is your load of H335 and what OAL ?
Old April 18, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6
snooze

Quote:
I have the Nosler guide #6, must be why I didn't find anything! 1:9 twist rate, was very surprised at my results
Thanks. I am not expecting a ragged hole with my 1:7 barrel.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:12 AM   #7
mohr308

Snooze

Wish I had a 1:7 barrel to use on my rifle, I have a hunting round that's 65gr that would probably stabilize better for longer range.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
mjes92

Nosler Varmageddon 55 grain - Copper Fowling ???

I was thinking of trying these bullets but came across this skeptical review on the MIDWAYUSA website when I went to purchase. See below.

I would have rated this product a 5 Star until I cleaned my gun. To start off with the good these bullets are extremly accurate.I would shoot 400 yards with my Rock River AR-15 at 4 inch circles and usually do very well with little wind.
The negetive would be that what ever nosler uses in all there bullets to plate the bullet(copper)Is horrible. These bullets will copper fowel the barrel really quick, now with that said on my AR 15 it did not affect the accuracy much at all. But when it came to cleaning it took at least an hour. If you ever noticed how shiny and nice the noslers look? I could care less,because that all goes in your barrel. The matterial must be a soft copper that either melts quicker than regular bullets. I had the same problem with Ballistic tips copper foweling.
To sum it up, If you are using a bolt for hunting and are going to site the gun in with a few shots and hunt you are going to be fine. If you Target shoot or are planning on shooting allot of rounds like an AR15 plan on cleaning a LONG time, I hardy like to give up accuracy, and these are accurate, they shoot the best in my AR15 but I did because of the copper cleaning ! You make the choice !

Was this the case for anyone else using them?
Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old April 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
mohr308

Mjes92

Well I haven't cleaned my barrel yet, so I can't speak for that on copper fouling. But one advantage to my situation, is I'm using CFE223 which helps to remove/deter copper in your barrel. I only do a copper cleaning on my barrel maybe every fourth cleaning. So, if these bullets leave more copper than others, then the powder I'm using should help to reduce it. If you like accuracy, these bullets can definitely do that!