The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
c.robertson

Walker vz 3rd Dragoon

Thinking about purchasing a Uberti Walker or 3rd Model Dragoon.

Which would be suggested?

I am leaning strongly in favor of the Dragoon for the more secure loading lever lock and (I think) better cylinder latch.
The Uberti price dissuades me somewhat since I bought an excellent used Blue Ruger Old Army for less money, $300.00 as opposted to the Uberti costing in the $360.00 range.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
kwhi43

Wish I would have know that. I just sold a un-fired 3rd model for 270.00
It was a Uberti. Oh well. Spent all day yesterday at the club. Wife had to
sight in her .40 rifle with receiver sights. Got to start on the pistol shootin
here soon. Times a runnin. The club has a 3-day shoot in May and June.
Next month is the Gun Show at the club the 4th Saturday.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Foto Joe

Everybody who owns one or both has an opinion, since nobody has chimed in yet I'll give mine first.

Dragoon

The loading lever latch issue is a non-issue really with the Walkers, it's just part of their personality. Both of them are equally impressive in my opinion but I just prefer the Dragoon. Also, don't be fooled into thinking the Dragoon won't drop the loading lever, it will. All that has to happen is for the screw on the lever to loosen up just a touch and she'll fall. Luckily it's a warning that you're about to go hunting for a screw in the dirt, don't ignore the warning.

Walkers on the other hand have a unique history in that they were the gun that brought Sam Colt back into business. Walker/Dragoon/Walker/Dragoon.....

Yup, still voting for the Dragoon.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
ClemBert

If you are never going to have the hankering to fire 60 grains of powder in a Walker and plan to limit yourself to 50 grains then I'd question if a Walker would be for you. It is quite heavy. But then again, wouldn't it be kewl to own a copy of the world's first magnum revolver. I believe it wasn't until the 357 magnum came out in 1934 that the Walker was surpassed in "magnum power".

There are plenty of reports from Walker owners that the the loading lever will NOT fall with heavy loads. Either they are lucky or they've made the most modest adjustment to their loading lever latch to prevent this from happening.

I have a Walker but do not have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd model Dragoon. You know what that means? Now I need to get a 2nd model Dragoon!
Old February 21, 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Foto Joe

That sounds like "2" for Dragoon to me, I would go out right now and just buy one. Why wait for the Walker owners to muddy up the water?

ClemBert,

Why 2nd Model? The OP might need this information to push him over the edge.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:49 PM   #6
ClemBert

Joe,

Because it is tradition on this forum to muddy up the waters by introducing a new variable into the equation!

Actually, I like both the 2nd and 3rd Dragoon. I keep telling everyone I want the 2nd model because the square-back trigger guard gives it a bit of an old timely look. Jus' tryin' to hang on to as much nostalgia as possible but being practical about it by eliminating the 1st model as a contender.

Tell ya what OP...since you asked lets settle it this way...If you like round trigger guards get the 3rd model Dragoon. If you like the look of the square-back trigger guard of the Walker then go for it. Now, wasn't that easy?
Old February 21, 2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Hardcase

A Dragoon, if only so that you can hold it up and say, "Why that's a Colt's Dragoon!" and laugh yourself silly.

I know, sometimes my wife gives me that look, too.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
ClemBert

Wasn't that a Walker in the 1969 movie True Grit?
Old February 21, 2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Foto Joe

Yes, and Agustus McCray had one too in Lonesome Dove. That pretty much means that everybody and their dog has a Walker. Ya just don't see too many Dragoons. That means having one makes you "Special".
Old February 21, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
ClemBert

U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne): "Why, by God, girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon!" in reference to the Colt Walker that Mattie is holding up.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Foto Joe

So are you now insinuating that Dragoons are "Girly Guns"?

At this point, I think the OP has decided that we've all lost our minds.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I am leaning strongly in favor of the Dragoon for the more secure loading lever lock and (I think) better cylinder latch.
The Dragoon for the reasons you state, plus, Dragoon:

Is lighter - so is easier to carry/handle
Doesn't have V type hammer spring - easier to disassemble and reassemble
Is usually cheaper to purchase
Uses less powder when loaded with max load, so is cheaper to shoot.
Is indistinguishable from a Walker by most people at the range so they wouldnt know the difference anyhow.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 21, 2011, 11:36 PM   #13
freedom475

I had a Walker for 15years... shot it 1000's of times and really liked it. The loading lever falling was a huge issue for me...it totally sucked.:barf: I tried to field-smith the loading lever latch one day and snapped her right off (actually blew out the dove tail "you piece of junk! Ya' like being broke? There, now you'r broke..."... So then a good friend of mine with a machine shop TIG welded it back into place and the lever never dropped again..

Even though I have never owned one.. of the 2 choices my vote is for the Dragoon..

Now it took me quite a while, and lots of Colts to see the light about C&B's..but if it were my money it would be a Rem58

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old February 21, 2011, 11:41 PM   #14
surbat6

I assure you that neither the Walker nor the Dragoon are "girly guns."
As owner of both, I'd pick the Dragoon as a bit handier to actually use.
Before picking either of those old .44's, I'd buy an 1860 Army...actually, I did - five times (I still have four of them). It's much handier than either.
Enough BS. Now for the truth:
I'd pick ALL of them, and did.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:42 PM   #15
Razor740

Try this;
Get you a han'ful of Yankee dollars,
Go to the gun show,
buy the first one you run across ????

Next gun show, buy the t'other one !!
Old February 21, 2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

I can't believe I am the first to say it.

It doesn't matter which one you buy first. Just make sure you eventually wind up with all four.

Maybe the thing to do is lurk around Gunbroker and look for deals. Let the price decide.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:29 AM   #17
c.robertson

KWHI43, seems like I am always a day late or dollar short.

Thank y'all for the input. Not real set on purchasing yet anothr BP pistol, it would be #8.
I passed on an CVA/ASM 3rd model Dragoon, it went auction for $245.00 + shipping. Heard to many negative things about the ASM's.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Foto Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.robertson
Heard to many negative things about the ASM's.
With any gun purchase, if you buy sight unseen you're buying a "Pig in a poke" I'm afraid. My Dragoon is an ASM and it's only flaw is a tool mark inside the hammer channel. Other than that its fit and finish are excellent.

On the other hand, I did have an ASM Walker and although asthetically it looked good, function wise it was a paper weight. It's always best if you can fondle it first. Unfortunately on GunBroker that isnt' possible so make sure they have a return policy that allows for inspection.

The results you've gotten from your original question sort of surprise me. I honestly thought the Walker owners would have beat the drum more loudly in favor of their Horse Pistol. Both guns are a lot of fun to shoot, both will eat you out of house and home in powder though. Take your time making your decision and one of these days you'll see something that just screams "Take me HOME!!"
Old February 22, 2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

I wish to register my agreement ...

...with the right honorable Foto Joe.

I have a Walker and a 2nd Dragon from ASM and I like them both.

I certainly would have piled on to KWHI's Dragoon. I am sorry to miss that deal.

245.00 for an ASM sounds about right (maybe a little low) when you consider the availability of a new Uberti at 358.00 plus 16 bucks shipping from Taylors.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:41 PM   #20
SIGSHR

I have both, the Dragoon balances better for me, the Walker a little too muzzle heavy. Also the 3rd Model Dragoon can take the shoulder stock if that's a consideration.
Old February 22, 2011, 06:11 PM   #21
ClemBert

Is the main spring different in a 2nd model vs 3rd model?
Old February 22, 2011, 07:51 PM   #22
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clembert
Is the main spring different in a 2nd model vs 3rd model?
No, they are the same. Patersons, Walkers, Transition Walkers and 1st Model Dragoons have a V type mainspring, all other models have a single leaf mainspring.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 22, 2011, 08:10 PM   #23
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
No, they are the same. Patersons, Walkers, Transition Walkers and 1st Model Dragoons have a V type mainspring, all other models have a single leaf mainspring.
Thanks. That is what I thought. As such I think I'll continue to consider the 2nd model over the 3rd. I would have dropped consideration of the 2nd model had it have the V type main spring.

....I know, I know...get 'em all.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:44 AM   #24
Bill Akins

Quote:
Clembert wrote:
U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne): "Why, by God, girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon!" in reference to the Colt Walker that Mattie is holding up.
Coincidentally I just watched True Grit again last night. I didn't look that closely at the girl's father's Dragoon. But are you telling me that the Duke and his movie property master/firearms provider used a Walker and called it a Dragoon? I've still got the movie saved in my cable saved show listing, I'll have to view it again and fast forward to when they show the revolver so I can look at it more closely. If they used a Walker and called it a Dragoon, I have to wonder why they didn't just use a Dragoon? I mean the Duke knew firearms, he worked with them all his life. Strange.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 23, 2011, 09:11 AM   #25
madcratebuilder

Walker....Dragoon...indecision? Then you need a Whitneytville Dragoon. Half Walker, half Dragoon.

It's big, heavy, the loading lever well fall down at the most inopportune time, eats too much powder and is like no other Colt revolver.

The Walker

Dragoons....

Fluted

3rd model

Texas Dragoon