The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
You carry...Are you scared to pull the trigger?

I have carried for 4 years and I am scared about having to pull the trigger.....but, I am ready and willing in order to protect my life and the lives of my beloved children....better them than me is my mindset...

How "bout you?
Old November 30, 2008, 09:35 PM   #2
IdahoG36

I am not scared in the least bit to pull the trigger to save myself from harm. What scares me to death is the legal proceedings after the shoot.

Last edited by IdahoG36; November 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old November 30, 2008, 09:35 PM   #3
NormOps

Scared to pull the trigger

If that is what it came to some day, i think that would be the last thing on my mind.
I hope the same thing would happen that did when I shot my first deer. I was walking down a logging road jawing with my buddy, and a buck and a doe sauntered accross in front of us. I saw horns, and I remember concentrating on going as fast as I could while at the same time squeezing off the shot even though it felt like time was of the essence- as I had rehearsed a thousand times mentally. That is about all I remember amidst the adrenalin, but I drilled him dead center in the boiler room (where I was aiming) offhand at about thirty or forty yards.
So I hope a cool concentration would prevail, as I've rehearsed mentally. I don't imagine having time to be scared if I knew I could die within the next couple seconds, or thwart as quickly as possible that outcome.

Eli W.
Old November 30, 2008, 09:41 PM   #4
luvsasmith

Not your call

If someone makes you fear for your life or that of someone else (by "makes you" I mean shows intent and will to do serious bodily harm, cause death), they have taken your ability to make any decision but to take theirs, or at least eliminate their ability to make their intentions a reality.

In short, they are deciding to pull the trigger on themselves, you are not.

That is how my father in law explained it to me, and he has had to use right index finger more than once in Vietnam and here at home as a Police Officer.
Old November 30, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
scorpion_tyr

I carry to protect myself and my family. I'm not scared to pull the trigger, but I'm afraid I may have to one day.
Old November 30, 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
revance

I think every sane person is scared of having to do it... the more important question is if you are too scared to actually do it. I pray that I am not because I would have a hard time living with myself if my fear let something happen to my family. I feel pretty confident that I have mentally and spiritually prepared myself to do what needs to be done to protect my family.

Recently I had a nightmare where I had to pull the trigger. It was surprisingly the first one I have ever had. The comforting part of the nightmare was that I did not hesitate to defend myself and my family... the really scary part was that all I had was a .22 and after the 9th shot from my 10 shot magazine the threat was not stopped at all. The 10th shot did the job well enough to allow me to run. The dream kind of skipped forward after that (the fear probably partially woke me) and the only other thing I remember from it was being informed by the police that the guy lived and he was going to prison... the news brought more relief than I would have imagined.

I know dreams are usually played out in ways that your mind has already decided, so its not really an indication that fear wouldn't stop me from taking the correct actions in a defense situation. However I think it did show me that any fear that might stop me would be fear from the situation, not from the thought of doing what needs to be done to protect my family.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Scattergun Bob

cold dead hands

Yes, I understand. Most of us law abiding folks have a apprehension to Killing another human being. To get past this natural aversion train hard with a set of skills that allow you to move past your fear, and develop a survival footprint that re-enforces your right to survival. Below is one I share with folks when asked, you are welcome to incorporate it, or I recommend that you take any part of my footprint that has value for you and write your own, in your own words!

A SURVIVAL FOOTPRINT
The decision to kill, this is the moment right now as you read this to make your decision. You will not be afforded the time to assess your feelings when the human predator meets you face to face. If you believe nothing else, I have written please believe this, you have the absolute right to survive! Natural causes and accidents aside no one but you should have the decision about when you die. Despite the unexplainable focus of our judicial system on the rights of the offender, your life is the most important right and asset you possess. Does the violent human super predator have a more compelling right to life? Are you really willing to give the super predator power over your survival? Arm up, get smart about what your weapon will and will not do, constantly scan your environment for a threat identifier!

Please understand, that as defensive shooters, our enemy will dictate much of the gunfight, we must be READY TO GO mentally and physically prepared to answerer his call.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old November 30, 2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Swampghost

No problem and I didn't collect ears.
Old December 1, 2008, 12:01 AM   #9
KUHIO

Hesitation can get you killed, if you don't think you can pull the trigger when it comes time, then don't carry
Old December 1, 2008, 12:26 AM   #10
WadePatton

I am MUCH more scared of finding myself in a situation where I NEED to pull a trigger and CANNOT (for lack of weapon or ability to bring it into action) than actually having to do it. As said above-the other guy is forcing the issue, he (possibly she) made their decision and I have made mine-if our paths cross we'll both have to deal with it.

Have carried for over 20 years. Fired once thwarting an attempted armed robbery-they were already on the run and I wanted to be sure they kept running-so I fired into the air. Being alert and having a sidearm and the aptitude and attitude to use it were key.

That was a long time ago. I've learned much about life since then, but will still shoot to kill without hesitation if necessary to protect a life.
Old December 1, 2008, 07:39 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Scared? Nope. Want to? Nope. If the situation arises where it has to be done, then there will undoubtedly be consequences with which to deal. That is simply part of the package.
Old December 1, 2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Keltyke

Scared? Of course I am. Anyone who isn't scared to drop the hammer on another human being is crazy and that REALLY scares me.

That being said, if I have to shoot to protect myself or my family, I will - without hesitation.

Being scared doesn't hamper, delay, or restrict action. In fact, it probably enhances it. Adrenaline is a GREAT drug.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:21 AM   #13
rduckwor

The last thing I ever want to have to do. If necessary to save my life or a loved one's life, you bet your sweet ass. Until they stop or run away, they get free doses of Federal HST, 45ACP.

RMD
Old December 1, 2008, 08:25 AM   #14
SilentHitz

Quote:
Hesitation can get you killed, if you don't think you can pull the trigger when it comes time, then don't carry
Very well put. It's not something any of us wake up every morning hoping for...but you better have the right mindset if you're going to arm yourself that day.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:41 AM   #15
RamSlammer

I feel I have a responsibility to train regularly so that when a time comes, that training combined with good judgment will kick in. I may be scared at that time or may not, but the training will help me to reflexively respond to serious threats. Effective close quarters shooting skills don't just happen from shooting at a bullseye with a box of shells twice a year.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:33 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Scared? Of course I am. Anyone who isn't scared to drop the hammer on another human being is crazy and that REALLY scares me.
Quote:
A SURVIVAL FOOTPRINT
The decision to kill, this is the moment right now as you read this to make your decision. You will not be afforded the time to assess your feelings when the human predator meets you face to face. If you believe nothing else, I have written please believe this, you have the absolute right to survive! Natural causes and accidents aside no one but you should have the decision about when you die. Despite the unexplainable focus of our judicial system on the rights of the offender, your life is the most important right and asset you possess. Does the violent human super predator have a more compelling right to life? Are you really willing to give the super predator power over your survival? Arm up, get smart about what your weapon will and will not do, constantly scan your environment for a threat identifier!
Both very legitimate statements...
kelt... Please don't let this "scare" you...
I am not afraid to pull the trigger on any creature to defend myself.
I also am not afraid to use any other physical weapon or strategy against any creature to defend myself.
I am a survivor. And one thing I have done to mentally prepare for self defense is to think about this issue often. One thing that dawned on me is I am also a hunter. If I can look an animal for the meat under it's hide knowing it is harmless and innocent with out guilt for killing it, I easily can defend myself without guilt regardless of specie. If anyone/anything intends to transgress against me with violence it shall find I am not afraid to use any and all tools available to me to defend myself.
Brent
Old December 1, 2008, 07:10 PM   #17
luvsasmith

Brent (hogdogs)

the only thing that scares me about your statements is others disagree.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Gunsmom

I don't know that "scared" is exactly the term I'd choose, but I hope that I never have to pull the trigger on another human being.

I have no doubt that I can if I have to, however.

No one has the right to take from me what's mine, including my life.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:30 PM   #19
Hook686

YUP !

Being scared is the only reason I'd think of pulling the trigger, so yes I'd definately be scared to pull the trigger. But then I've done otherthings I was scared to do, like enlist.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:51 PM   #20
El Paso Joe

If one is faced with a life or death situation and they do not have a fight/flight reaction then something is wrong. The autonomic nervous system is wired that way. What training is about is seeing through the massive level of adrenaline and doing the right thing - including pulling the trigger. If you haven't had enough training to assess the situation then you might think about CCW. In my (not so) humble opinion.

Read "In the Gravest Extreme!"
Old December 1, 2008, 10:55 PM   #21
troy_mclure

not at all!

been there done that.
once you become a threat, you cease being a person and become a target.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 1, 2008, 10:56 PM   #22
Swampghost

You're scared the first time, think (maybe too much) the second time and then it just becomes business. Kinda like mortar/rocket bombardments, you get over it.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:25 PM   #23
doh_312

Wow, I got to this post too late, everyone already said everything clever. Short and sweet: pose a threat to me or my loved ones and you had better render me unable to use my weapon. Cause I'm sending a heck of a lot of lead your way.
Old December 2, 2008, 02:46 AM   #24
BikerRN

Am I scared to pull the trigger?

No sane person wants to get in to a gunfight, especially with a handgun. I am however more scared of what will happen if I don't pull the trigger. In short, I will be dead.

There is a reason that the handgun is called, "the tool of last resort". I suggest that the OP buy and read, "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. It's a bit dated, but I still read mine every year and refer to it often.

Biker
Old December 2, 2008, 08:24 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Funny choice of words, "scared to pull the trigger." There is a huge difference between "scared" and other such considerations as "hesitant," "unwilling," "uncertain about," etc.