The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2001, 07:50 PM   #1
FlyboyAZ

I have been a marksman for a while but am a little new to hunting. I am currently living in Northern Arizona and think that it might be fun to hunt Javelina. I really don't know anything about the season (if there is) or how to hunt and clean them. What type of gun is best. Ruger 9mm, SKS, or 8mm Mouser. I would appreciate any info that I might get.

Old April 9, 2001, 08:43 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Any gun store oughta have your Arizona hunting regs.

By and large, a grownup pigalina will run about 40 pounds or so on the hoof. A .357 Mag pistol is plenty good.

The almost-mature but not totally grownup are much better eating. If you spot a group of them, and ease up to ten or fifteen yards (simple, if you work toward them with the wind blowing from them to you, or across your path) pick out one which is maybe 2" less height at the shoulder.

Aim for the eye or right below the ear.

There are a couple of scent glands on the back, just in front of the rump. Unless you want the hide for taxidermy, cut the skin out around those glands so you don't musk up the meat.

There is no difference between gutting out a javelina than a deer, except the hide is tougher. If you're halfway careful, you won't even get blood on your hands--but they'll be a bit greasy! Think, "Sharp knife!"

The hams will barbecue nicely at around 250-300 degrees, roughly, in an hour or so. The little backstraps make quick-cooking "num-nums" to nibble while you cook.

If you're not interested in having the head mounted, you can just boil the skull and then set it on an antbed and let them do the rest of the work. Makes an interesting souvenir.

Hope this helps,

Art
Old April 10, 2001, 04:16 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

If you already have a 9mm, then I would get a stoutly-loaded "controlled expansion" round like an SXT, XTP, or Gold Dot...
Old April 10, 2001, 08:27 PM   #4

http://www.gf.state.az.us/welcome.html

Any of the guns you named would be fine. A javelina only weighs about 30-40 pounds.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 14, 2001, 08:33 PM   #5
FlyboyAZ

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to try and get a little pigalina soon. Now that I have a better idea how to clean and cook the little rodent I am more comfortable going out to hunt one. I hate killing something if I am not going to use it so now I will feel better.
Old April 14, 2001, 08:48 PM   #6
thunderaz

you better not go out without me
talk to ya later