The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 3, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1
thegman58

Help cowboy action gun help

I have watched a couple of cowboy action practices the last couple of weeks. Not much of a turn out due to Michigan cold, cold weather. So it was had to get some input on what to get.

I have an 1873 Uberti 357 carbine that I been shooting for a couple of months.

Cowboy really looks fun and I’m going to start buying the equipment needed to shoot.

I think you can shoot 357, 44 and a 45 LC, and not sure of the 44 – 40 caliber.

Question is I’m not sure witch caliber would work best for this event. I also would keep rifle and peace maker in the same caliber.

I would appreciate what you all find is reliable, available of components, accurate etc.

I have hundreds of cartridges I have collected at the range in 9mm, 45 acp, 38’s, 357, 44 Remington mag and special.

I wanted to use 44 caliber but it has not been easy to find a set up that is appealing looks wise and matching.

I reload also and have been using Missouri bullets for a while.

Thanks,

Greg
Old January 3, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Delmar

Quote:
I have an 1873 Uberti 357 carbine that I been shooting for a couple of months.
How well does your rifle handle 38 special? I'm certainly no expert, but from what I have read the 1873 is about as good as it gets as far as cowboy action rifles go. Why not build on what you have? I am interested in cap and ball, so if I had your rifle, I would consider getting a couple .36 caliber 1858's and converting them to .38 special.

Since, however, you are not me you might not want to go that route. In which case, I don't know how you could go wrong with a pair of Ruger Vacueros chambered in .357!
Old January 3, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3
thegman58

Ruger V

The Uberti shoot well in a 38 special and is a tack driver with 357 at 50 yards.

Glad to hear the Ruger V is good cowboy revolver.

Also seriously considering Uberti cowboy revolvers also. Just don't know much about them.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:34 PM   #4
ZVP

Weight!

I have a 4 5/8" .357 Vaquero and it's sure a lot heavier than a . 7 1/2" in .45! You can mix calibers or maybe work out a trade or sale for your .357 rifle.
My reason for choosing the .357 was to control ammo costs but had I known about the huge weight difference, I'd have opted for the .45.You're gonna spend a lot of time with that revolver in your hand!
ZVP
Old January 3, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Having a '73 carbine in 357 already that works reliably with 38s, I would recommend that you stick with the 38/357 caliber to start with. A pair of lightly used Vaqueros, GWIIs or Ubertis in 38/357 should get you almost to a complete battery at a reduced cost over buying new. Another option would be some of the various 'open tops' chambered for .38; however, they are a little pricier. The only thing you'd need next would be a shotgun.

I would stay away from purchasing a '58 Remington clone in .36 and using a conversion cylinder. The bore size of a .36 percussion revolver is .375 vs the 38/357 bullet size of .357. They don't work unless you line the barrel, use heeled bullets, or load hollow based wadcutters. You would be much better served sticking with a production 38/357 revolver.

On calibers; SASS rules allow any pistol caliber which includes 44-40. 38-40, 32-20, as well as the 38 Colt, 38 spcl, 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 special, 44 colt, 44 russian, 44 mag, 45 Schofield, 45 short colt, and 45 colt. Did I leave any out???

If you are planning on shooting inCAS matches, a membership in SASS would be advisable, and checking listings on the SASS classifieds can result in good deals on lightly used pistols and shotguns.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 3, 2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Delmar

Quote:
I have a 4 5/8" .357 Vaquero and it's sure a lot heavier than a . 7 1/2" in .45!
According to the specs the Vaquero .357 4 5/8" weighs 43.0 oz and the
Vaquero 45 LC 4 5/8" weighs 39 oz. The Vaquero 45 LC 7 1/2" weighs 42 oz, by the way.

4 oz does not seem like a huge difference to me, but I don't understand why the .357 is heavier than the .45? Seems like it would be just the opposite.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:34 PM   #7
swcr

It's heavier because they use the same diameter barrel but the .357 having a smaller bore has heavier barrel walls than the .45

Eugene
Old January 3, 2010, 09:37 PM   #8
mavracer

Quote:
but I don't understand why the .357 is heavier than the .45?
same size cylinder and barrel with little holes.

I'd reccomend either Ruger New Vaqueros or Ubertis. I have Both although my ubertis are 38/40s and 45 Colt.The Rugers have coil springs and are about bullet proof.Uberti's will break a spring now and again.not a big deal carry an extra set in the range bag.
one other thing Uberti's are not all the same, Cimarron's have authentic caliber markings (guess thats not important if you go 357) but they also come from the factory with wolff springs and are inspected by second set of eyes stateside before they ship.
I've had 2 cimarrons and 2 ubertis and a Taylor Smokewagon (got a Smokin' deal on it,pun intended)after some use and a set of wolff the Taylor's and ubertis are really slick.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 4, 2010, 08:00 AM   #9
thegman58

Ruger New Vaqueros or Uberti

God I love this hobby. I have narrowed my selection on revolvers down to Ruger New Vaqueros or Uberti. Going for the 357 caliber.

Sense I already have the 1873 Uberti carbine it only makes sense.

I also like the recommendation on membership with SASS and shopping for used revolvers. Again it makes sense in saving $$$.

I went to SASS site and found info on were to buy SASS clothing. All thought my wife is a good seamstress, we should be able to save $$ by altering some of my clothing.

Any other suggestion let me know

Thanks,
Greg
Old January 5, 2010, 12:46 AM   #10
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers Mcgee
On calibers; SASS rules allow any pistol caliber which includes 44-40. 38-40, 32-20, as well as the 38 Colt, 38 spcl, 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 special, 44 colt, 44 russian, 44 mag, 45 Schofield, 45 short colt, and 45 colt. Did I leave any out???
Oh, a few... .32 S&W, .32 H&R mag, 7.62x38R (Nagant), probably the .327 Federal Magnum but I don't think there are any SA's yet made for it, .38 S&W, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp (all three are, or have been, available in convertible single action revolvers), .41 Colt, .41 Special, Cowboy .45 Special, .45 Auto Rim, C&B cals from .36 to .457, and the 56-50 Spencer. OK, I admit some of these are just a bit obscure, but SASS legal nonetheless.
I suppose even the .32 acp is legal in a single action Nagant with a convertible cylinder...?
I probably missed some too...

(edit) I just read the .327 will be available in the New Model Blackhawk this year.

The Cowboy,
J Bar Binks

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; January 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Noz

thegman58, don't worry about the clothing. Leather boots or shoes without lug soles with a pair of levis and a long sleeve shirt and you have fulfilled all of the SASS clothing requirements for all categories except B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Hats are not required but with the 73 rifle you'll want to wear one. The 73's top ejection drops hot cases on your head and down your shirt. Not fun.
Buying black powder pistols and then buying conversion cylinders for them is an exercise for the experienced shooter. Lots of expense and smithing required.
You can often buy used Rugers etc for what a black powder pistol and conversion cylinder would cost.

Stick with Rugers and you can't go wrong.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Oh, a few... .32 S&W, .32 H&R mag, 7.62x38R (Nagant), probably the .327 Federal Magnum but I don't think there are any SA's yet made for it, .38 S&W, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp (all three are, or have been, available in convertible single action revolvers), .41 Colt, .41 Special, Cowboy .45 Special, .45 Auto Rim, C&B cals from .36 to .457, and the 56-50 Spencer. OK, I admit some of these are just a bit obscure, but SASS legal nonetheless.
I suppose even the .32 acp is legal in a single action Nagant with a convertible cylinder...?
I probably missed some too...
OK....... Let me rephrase my response.

"On calibers;................................I know I left some out & someone will come along shortly to point that out."
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 5, 2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
... you have fulfilled all of the SASS clothing requirements for all categories except B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Hats are not required but with the 73 rifle you'll want to wear one.
Hats are required in B Western, but your implication that hats aren't required when shooting a '73 is correct, of course, because the '73 isn't legal in B Western.

(edit)OOPS, I just read through the manual; hats are also required for Classic Cowboy, and '73's are legal there.

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; January 6, 2010 at 08:53 AM.