The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 10, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Dannyboy303

The Stupidest thing ive done that i can recall

This morning i was driving over to another house inbetween cattle propertys and having my gun in the passenger seat as i usually do... nothing out of the ordinary. Then i see a mob of pigs and i havent shot any pigs for a couple of weeks so im getting pretty excited. they're in an open paddock and i have about 200yards before they're out of sight into the next paddock which is thick scrub... perfect for out of the ute shooting.
Its winter here and i had the windows wound up so i frantically wind the window down, the pigs are running their little butts off to get in that scrub so i jam on the brakes, rifle out the window.. BANG! 1 pig down, BANG! 2 pigs down, BANG SMASH GLASS IN MY EYES AHH [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color](and i missed the pig!!!). In the split second i had one hundred things going through my mind as to what had happened.. Can anyone guess?

It was all for a couple of louzy small pigs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0610070941-00-01.jpg (49.1 KB, 276 views)
Old June 10, 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
willsjeep

Im guessing that you are short one mirrior now?
Will
Old June 10, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Full-choke

The mirror is a good thought. I was thinking of turning to follow the pigs and shooting out the windshield from the inside out...

Ryan
Old June 10, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I think the mirror is a good guess. Either that or the window wasn't all the way down and the shock broke the glass. But I think "mirror" is a better guess than that.
Old June 10, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I'll guess that the window wasn't all the way down, and the rifle was resting on it, and so the recoil impulse broke the window.

And how LOUD was it in the cab, by the way? What sort of boomstick are you using?
Old June 10, 2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Desertfox

My guess is he was leaning on the automatic window button.

Monster hogs! Good shooting from a motorized vehicle. Good thing the pipes, the pipes aint calling for you dannyboy. Sounds like you are lucky not to be hurt yet unlucky enough to be at the auto glass shop spending some hard earned dollars.
Old June 10, 2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Dannyboy303

FirstFreedom Got it. Yeah Window wasnt all the way down and the trigger guard must have been leaning against it or very close anyway quite an expensive morning lol, and im very thankful i was not hurt as stupidity usually comes at a physical price.
Was using a 300winmag but it wasnt as loud as it could have been, my earmuffs are always hanging on the review mirror so i put em on.
Old June 10, 2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Redneckrepairs

Hey look at the bright side , same thing could have happened first shot and you would have NO pigs to show LOL .
Old June 10, 2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Dannyboy303

Quote:
Hey look at the bright side , same thing could have happened first shot and you would have NO pigs to show LOL .
That is true! I feel better now
Old June 11, 2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Scorch

Don't feel too bad. A friend of mine spotted a deer, jumped out of the truck with his rifle, laid the rifle across the hood and touched one off, and gouged a furrow in the hood of his truck because the muzzle was pointed at the metal.

Another guy I knew grabbed a rifle (loaded) in the rifle rack and touched off a round right behind his brother's head. His brother was not amused at all, what with the loud ringing in his ears and a hole through the cab right behind the door. Took his brother about 10 seconds to beat the crap out of him. Wouldn't speak to him for over 10 years.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:58 PM   #11
jhgreasemonkey

My cousin shot the antena off his truck while using the hood for a rifle rest. lol
Old June 11, 2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Jseime

A buddy of mine blew a hole in the hood of a guys truck with a .223 shooting at a muskrat.

He was worried that he was going to have to buy a new hood for his friend and the other guy just said "Ah, makes er look mean dont worry about it."
Old June 11, 2007, 08:16 PM   #13
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
So does FF get a cookie?
Old June 12, 2007, 10:55 AM   #14
whitedemon89

I "ballistic test" the bumper of my truck with every new gun I get. I got quite a few holes. Makes it look distinguished.
Old June 13, 2007, 02:11 AM   #15
bcarver

picture

That is the way a big game picture should be taken. The gun shows the size of the pig....not like the pigzilla photos.
Old June 13, 2007, 01:50 PM   #16
Dirty_Harry

I am not putting you down or anything, I might have done the same thing. But I thought it was illegal to shoot from inside your vehicle at a game animal.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 13, 2007, 02:11 PM   #17
davlandrum

Thank god pigs are not game animals! At least I haven't heard of a state that considers them as such.
Old June 13, 2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Fremmer

THAT'S the stupidest thing that you've done?!? That's it?!?

Man, you just made me feel really stupid, 'cause I've done much stupider.....(more stupid?)

You even got the pigs. What's a window when pigs are involved, anyway!?!
Old June 13, 2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Scorch

davlandrum-
In California, pigs are big game animals. 1 per day.
I wish that was the worst thing California politicians have done.
Old June 13, 2007, 08:41 PM   #20
lockedcj7

I attempted to de-cock an old Western Auto bolt-action .22 when I was in high school by grasping the striker (or whatever you call the cylinder that sticks out the back of the bolt) and pulling the trigger. It wasn't my gun and I wasn't familiar with how they worked.

It sucked my thumb and forefinger into the gap between the bolt and striker, cutting me pretty badly. The worst part was that I had to rotate the bolt and cock the gun again to get my mangled parts out.
Old June 13, 2007, 11:07 PM   #21
Jseime

I also have a cousin who was hunting deer in his minivan and a big buck walked out onto the road behind him. He picked up his gun, turned in the seat and blew the back window out of his Caravan.
Old June 14, 2007, 04:11 AM   #22
keita

It is illegal to shoot from a vehicle in Nevada as well.... felony punishable by confiscation of vehicle/firearms/incarceration (well, that's what the Dept. of Wildlife people told me at the Hunter safety class).
Old June 14, 2007, 05:54 AM   #23
Benonymous

Doh!

One of the guys in my rifle club is an old hunter with a million stories. His DOH story was when he was in western New South Wales and he was with a property owner in his ute. The Farmer noticed some Kangaroos in a paddock and pulled over to let our man have a crack at them. The hunter opens his door, steps out with his .243, chambers a round then takes careful aim. BAM! and the property owner yells something at him. He's taken aim over the top of the door frame of the vehicle and he had an unrestricted picture through his scope but the bore of the rifle was below the scope so he missed the 'roo but shot a nice hole in the top of the farmers door! The farmer wasn't too dark on him and the next time he visited the farmer had put a cork in the hole
Old June 14, 2007, 09:24 PM   #24
bswiv

I did not actually do this one myself, only suffered some of the muddy consequences.

We were marsh hen hunting here in Florida. As we're moving down a creek to get to another spot, it was a very low tide which is not the best marsh hen hunting situation but that's another issue, and I have to stop the motor because it is to shallow.

Now we're in a aluminum jon boat so you can imagin how shallow it is. I'm poling the boat along and my buddy John all of a sudden yells "flounder" and pokes the business end of his 12 ga Rem 870 down at the water.

What happened to the flounder I will never know but I can tell you that a shotgun is not the proper way to harvest flounder, mud yes, flounder no.

And no it is not legal either.........besides being VERY messy.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Dannyboy303

Im Glad to see im not alone doing silly things and im also glad none of the stories have had really bad consequences, except brothers not speaking for over 10years!!!!! wow having a cocked rifle in the gun rack is bloody dangerous

And just to clear some things up, Nah its not illegal to shoot wild game out of a utility(In Australia), in this case feral boar.. but it is illegal to box them for human consumption unless they have been shot between the eyes or in front of the ears. I just shoot them to get rid of them, having a bit of fun in the process.... something about moving targets does it for me