The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Heist

Considering a 80% 1911 project

I was browsing a photo illustrated project log just to keep myself occupied on a long cpanel transfer, and I started to really like it at the point where the fellow was lapping the slide onto the frame by hand. I'd need to buy a mill, but that might be all the tool I need at first.

Without signing up at another website devoted to this, are there any members who have gone on a similar project?
Old November 27, 2006, 10:46 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

yep

You will need to have a mill to cut the frame rails unless you are very good with your hands and are very patient and don't mind the constant filing to get them cut into the frame.

Although you can handle it on your own if you are a pretty sharp fellow, I would suggest visiting the following website and just peruse it to see some of what is involved in doing a 80% project:

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?

You don't have to join up to read a lot of really great info and you should be able to garner enough to do the job right the first time. Best of luck with it.
Old November 27, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
kozak6

I'm a member there.

You get access to more forums if you create an account, including one specifically devoted to 1911's.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:42 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just an idle thought. I wonder what percentage of those "80%" frames are unfinished in boxes under workbenches, or tossed in the trash after having been ruined. A lot, I am thinking.

Jim
Old November 27, 2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Heck, Jim, I often wonder how many 99% complete Caspian and Essex frames there are on the back shelves, either ruined or given up on. But they don't post those on the internet, we just hear about the first time best quality guns built with a nail file.
I have a gun built on parts out of the scrap box. My FLG was able to salvage a frame with an ugly gouge left when a mill cutter hogging out the mortise for the integral ramp mutation broke. The slide was shortened for use with a large compensator. I shot it for a while, went from IPSC to IDPA and sold the comped upper to make room for a standard slide and barrel. I later heard the new owner had ruined the barrel and given up on the slide.
Old November 27, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

There are a lot that are messed up and over at homegunsmith.com we talk about it and help guys not make the same mistake twice. Some speak up and show others what went wrong and some I am sure just keepo quite about it. Some of us actually build some nice pistols and rifles as well and it isn't that big of a deal when it happens either.

Why not drop by for a visit and check it out rather than scoff at the idea of someone finishing or actually building their own frames on pistols an ar's and several other guns? There are some great guys over there and some might show you a trick or two.
Old November 28, 2006, 12:43 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...I'd need to buy a mill..." A mill is an expensive machine that requires a place with a solid floor to put it and usually a 220 volt electric service. They also take some skill to use. A drill press they ain't. I know a smithy who has a mill attachment for his drill press. Haven't a clue what make or where he got it. Mind you, he's also a master machinist.
Old November 28, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
cntryboy1289

hmm

"I know a smithy who has a mill attachment for his drill press. Haven't a clue what make or where he got it. Mind you, he's also a master machinist."

What kind of drill press does he have that has a mill attachment for it that is worth a flip? Just curious about that and am seriously wanting to know because most can't support side to side movement. Are you sure that he doesn't have a mill/drill instead.

Guys, you really do protest too much about guys buying mills and minimills and doing this sort of work. They don't take up that much floorspace and most can wire them up themselves. Most are very experienced now and do very good work. You would be surprised at the number of guys that have them and you would never know it unless you looked inside their shop.

I don't know if it is eletism or just not knowing about it, but there are a lot of guys that build an entired gun themselves and some build all but the barrels out there. I would love it if you just come take a visit to see some of what is being built out there. There are quite a few that have a complete machine shop and some that just have a minimill that are building frames and other guns that will make you very envious. There is quite a few that build guns that you can't tell if it was factory made or hand made by them so please check it out before you throw the baby out with the bath water because it really isn't that hard to do.

I was skeptical myself before I joined the website and it really has taught me alot. You might learn a thing or two yourself if you drop by for a visit.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:39 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am glad to hear that some folks are doing well with those frames and building nice guns.

But most of what I hear about them seems to be in the nature of "I can make a gun without a serial number and the feds won't know about it". That doesn't sound exactly like a dedicated gun guru with thousands of dollars in precision machinery to make beautiful custom pistols. It sounds more like a teenager with a file and big ideas.

I doubt I will have much time to check that site, but I may look in; as you say, it could be an education.

Jim
Old November 29, 2006, 01:40 AM   #10
cntryboy1289

come on over

Jim, I think you will be more than surprised if you ever take a look at the site. There's something to be said about a man that can take a piece of steel and turn it into a frame and into a gun, no matter what his reasoning is for doing so.

By the way, there is absolutely nothing illegal about building your own guns. Whether it is to be able to say look at what I did or to have one that isn't serialized doesn't make a hill of beans difference in the long run either. I can honestly say that if you are interested in learning, the website can and will teach even an old dog like yourself a new trick.