The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
The Terminator

Have you tried the 357 on whitetail?

A friend is selling me his 8 3/8 barrelled 357 with a scope on it. I think that I might try it on deer. I see at www.buffalobore.com that I can get about 750lbs of energy from a heavy load. I don't think a 75 or 100yd shot would be out of order should it arise.

I haven't seen the gun, we talked about it on the phone today and I told him I would take it, I listed the others he had for sale on the gon forum. I think it may be a model 19. Not sure yet. I really don't think that there is much argument that it will work on whitetail that is likely to be 180lbs max. What do you think?
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old November 16, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
hpg

The only way to kill a deer with a 357 is a head shot. I have shot 2 deer (notice I didn't say killed), they both just walked off. The 1st deer I did knock down 2 times and it still ran off and I found it 3 hours later approx. 1/4 mile away.

The 2nd just stood there after being hit in the neck 6 feet from my stand. The bullets did not exit either deer. I picked up the 30-06 and killed it.

It's just not enough to do the job. I would start with at least a 41 magnum. hpg
Old November 16, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
The Terminator

Gee, not what I expected hpg. I have, a friend, who has killed many deer with a 22 magnum. I have a cousing who has killed many with the M1 Carbine. Tell me, what type of bullets were you using?

I realisticaly would not expect to shoot at one over 50 yards with such a cartridge, but I see that you have had a bad situation at a much closer range. I'll strongly consider your opinion.

To add: I was just glad to get the pistol, and thought I might try it for whitetail. Around here, a 150 pounder is big anyway. Best -
Old November 16, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
hpg

Terminator,

I know I was suprised as well. The 1st deer was a small buck, dressed @ 140 lbs. 158gr JHP @ 25yards broadside both shots. Placed 1st in left front shoulder. He went down on both knees, got up turned and looked and the 2nd shot knocked him down again. He proceeded to get up and haul butt.

The 2nd deer was a doe and I hit her in the neck from 25 ft above her(she was only 6 feet out from my tree stand. SHe just stood there for 30 seconds and walked out a few yards. In the mean time I was reaching for the ole -06 and I finished her off. She weighed 105 lbs.

I weighed the 2nd bullet(also a 158gr JHP), it weighed 96 grains and a perfect mushroom. Both loads were my own hot loads for hunting. The buck was shot with a 8" Dan Wesson and the doe with a 6" S&W 686. hpg
Old November 16, 2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Capp35

Quote:
The only way to kill a deer with a 357 is a head shot.
Must of been using the wrong bullet/load.

I have shot 3 deer now with a S&W model 19, 6".
Never a problem.

I just bought a Marlin lever and plan to extend my range.

This is the best ammo I have found for hunting and they never ran more than 25-30 yards.
http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho...2Ectx=%3AS357P
Old November 16, 2006, 07:46 PM   #6
hpg

Something must have been wrong. I have dropped them in their tracks with a 45ACP and a 41 Magnum. hpg
Old November 16, 2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Mannlicher

Back a number of years ago, I hunted deer up on Cumberland Island off the South Georgia coast. I used a .357 Mag three screw Ruger SA, and my handloads. The bullet was a 146 grain Speer SWCHP, over a lot of 2400 powder. It was a deer killing machine. Most of the deer were shot at under 30 yards. Bullet placement was usually through the heart and lungs. No head shots.
Yes, I think you can successfully hunt whitetails with a .357 revolver.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 16, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8
22-rimfire

You planning on using it this year? I believe you will be okay as long as you keep the distance down and take shots within your abilities. Good luck!

I hunt with a 480 Super Redhawk. My first buck last year ran about 50 yds. If not the SRH, I'd be using a 8 3/8" Model 57 41 mag. The gun shoots really good. That gun was purchased to be my deer handgun, but when it came down to it, I bought a larger caliber. I may take the 41 out this year later on.
Old November 17, 2006, 02:47 AM   #9
ifd35

Okay, that makes me feel better. I too for the first time am planning on taking my S&W .357 deer hunting this year. I am using a Speer Gold Dot 170gr. bullet. I have talked with people who say it is enough gun to kill a deer but then others who just laugh in your face. I do know that those who have used it to kill deer say that do NOT ever use hollow point bullets. The one guy used hollow points w/ a .44mag and said that his buck ran away when shot at 25yds. According to him and others they say that the hollow pts just don't "cut it." I am hunting in 2 days and I was starting to chicken out on using my pistol. Now reading your input I think that I have the trust in that caliber for deer that I need. Thanks!
Old November 17, 2006, 03:17 PM   #10
hossdaniels

I killed a doe yesterday with my 6" gp. I LOVE the buffalo bore ammo. IMO 100 yds is too far for a 357, try to keep em under 50. Head shots are a good way to starve a deer to death, especially with a handgun. You do have to shoot them at an angle that will not hit either shoulder bone(i.e. perfect broadside). If you hit a shoulder they will run off and die about 50-100 yds. away, but you wont be able to track them from lack of a bleeding exit hole. So, it will work, but I'm probably movin' up to a 44 next year.
Old November 17, 2006, 08:59 PM   #11
JKump

On Friday Nov. 3, I took a button buck with a 4" 357 mag, a Taurus Tracker using 158 gr. Federal Fusion ammo. The 357 worked fine. The deer was coming right at me and I pulled the trigger at about 25 yards. The bullet entered the chest and came out it's right front leg. The deer dropped right there. If you keep your ranges reasonable and put the bullet where it needs to go you should be fine.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 17, 2006, 09:02 PM   #12
slow

Go for it and use a 180 grain Winchester Partition or 180 grain Cast lead (B.B,Double Tap)
Old November 19, 2006, 05:09 PM   #13
The Terminator

Well, Lah dee dah, it turns out the pistol is not a 357 Smith at all It is a 44 SRH, with a Leupold scope...for $400. Color me a happy camper.
Old November 20, 2006, 04:23 PM   #14
ReefBlueCoupe

Man, Buffalo Bore sure bones you on the shipping charges. It doesn't take $12 to ship 40 rounds of .357 ammo
Old November 20, 2006, 05:24 PM   #15
castnblast

I've had great luck w/ .357 mag. 125 gr. jhp's. Did a number on the heart lung. Went 25 yds. & dropped dead. Shot another in the head, self explanitory, and another in the shoulder. Same results as above. I was using a custom hand load I worked up. Only thing that I hate about hunting w/ a 6 shooter is the noise. It really hurts the ears. If you wear plugs it's o.k., but then you can't hear the deer comming. I have not used a revolver on a deer in about 10 years for that purpose alone. My bow and arrow is a lot quiter...
Old November 21, 2006, 03:10 AM   #16
fivepaknh

This thread is encouraging. I’m a latecomer to hunting. I just started a couple of years ago. I’m 43 now and just got my first deer 2 weeks ago. I used a 12. ga slug and made a double lung shot at 15 yards. It ran 20 yards and dropped.
Last February I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. I bought is just for hunting. Though, I’ve been a little worried that it wouldn’t drop a deer as fast as the 12. ga. Being a noob at this, my tracking skills are a bit lacking. After this thread I’m a little more confident with the Ruger, provided I do my part.
Old November 24, 2006, 11:20 AM   #17
castnblast

Key here is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! You may want to consider reloading equipment. You can load that 44 for around $4.50-$6.50 a box.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:04 PM   #18
haymaker18

Hossdaniels,

What kind of Buffalo Bore ammo did you use? I asked a rep from Buffalo Bore and he said for deer use the 158 grain or 170 grain JHC and not the 180 LFN...point being that the hard cast will break bone and not expand, which is good for bear, but not necessary for deer. He said use the expanding bullets--they will penetrate plenty for deer.

FYI, I have shot the 158 grain Buffalo Bore...it is HOT! I will try the 170 grain next because the 158s were not grouping like I wanted. The problem with the hot ammo is that there is not really a cheap factory equivalent, so if you like to shoot a lot, your cheap ammo shoots a very different point of impact--even in the same grain bullet! It's kind of obnoxious to have a 10 inch vertical disparity at 50 yards when you're aiming for the same bullseye. I'm guessing the 170 grain buffalo bore ammo will shoot even lower than the 158 grain buffalo bore...am I right??

-dan
Old November 28, 2006, 03:52 PM   #19
hossdaniels

I am currently using the 170 gr and have had good sucess so far, the only deer I have shot with it did penetrate a shoulder(my bad), but really didn't open up that much. I didn't measure, but smaller than a .45 exit hole. I have had bad luck with everything that isnt BB ammo, including winchester's 180 gr hunting load. I got one last year with a 158 gr BB that was a perfect shot and it did exit and with a fairly good blood trail. So, if they aren't opening that much, I wanna be sure it comes out the other side so I can find the deer. And I'm still movin up to a 44 next year.
I have a red dot on my gp100 and it makes adjusting the sights easy for the rest of the year when it usually eats .38's for practice. I think the 180 gr wouldn't be bad on deer, but the hp's will work if you pick your shots like you should with the 357. I tried the 170 gr trying to improve groups too, and I couldn't tell a real difference in that and the 158 gr ammo. Good luck and good hunting.