The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 18, 2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Mokumbear

If your state permits open carry, do you?

No need to beat this one to death because I'm sure it already has been.
I would just like to see some good points made.

My otherwise gun friendly state is just now passing open carry legislation.

I'm all for it from a 2nd Amendment perspective but not sure if I would personally chose to.

One concern is that you would lose the element of surprise.
I think an attacker would be at a much greater disadvantage if you draw a concealed weapon. If a criminal knew you were carrying (and he was prepared to go up against a "hard target") it could turn very violent, very fast.

I could see it being useful in certain limited situations like a late night walk or bike ride or perhaps while hiking but I'm not sure about going out to dinner with a holstered gun.

On the other hand, I have read that in the distant past, open carry was the norm and concealed carry was the style of thieves and assassins.

Your 2 cents?

Last edited by Mokumbear; November 19, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old November 18, 2015, 05:58 PM   #2
adamBomb

While I know there are people that strongly disagree with me but...

I think if you open carry in the general public you are asking for attention - and probably negative attention. Why do you want that is beyond me but hey people dye their hair blue too. It can scare people. It can make people nervous around you. It can make people not like you. It can give people a negative impression of you...etc. I just dont get it. I see zero advantage to open carrying. I cant think of any middle or upper middle class place in society that views it as a normal thing unless you are a cop. Now if you are hiking that is one thing but going shopping? I think its not normal. I dont want people to know I even own a gun let alone let them see me strutting around with it. I do not like discussing politics or religion with people as it just causes trouble and this is doing just that - making a statement for everyone to see. I know there are people that disagree strongly with what I said but I just can't see it being good in normal circumstances. Having said all of that I personally have no problem with people that open carry and am all for open carry rights - I just know how its viewed by most of society.
Old November 18, 2015, 06:06 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I sometimes will carry on a belt holster semi-concealed. It really isn't open carry, but I purposely carry this way when I have to go into areas where I am nervous from a crime point of view. Will have a concealed gun in my pocket too. However, I have never had a problem. Open carry is frowned upon in my state by law enforcement except in situations where it would be considered "normal".

I do not encourage people to open carry a handgun in an urban environment.
Old November 18, 2015, 06:15 PM   #4
hub1home

I Agree

While I know there are people that strongly disagree with me but...

I think if you open carry in the general public you are asking for attention - and probably negative attention. Why do you want that is beyond me but hey people dye their hair blue too. It can scare people. It can make people nervous around you. It can make people not like you. It can give people a negative impression of you...etc. I just dont get it. I see zero advantage to open carrying. I cant think of any middle or upper middle class place in society that views it as a normal thing unless you are a cop. Now if you are hiking that is one thing but going shopping? I think its not normal. I dont want people to know I even own a gun let alone let them see me strutting around with it. I do not like discussing politics or religion with people as it just causes trouble and this is doing just that - making a statement for everyone to see. I know there are people that disagree strongly with what I said but I just can't see it being good in normal circumstances. Having said all of that I personally have no problem with people that open carry and am all for open carry rights - I just know how its viewed by most of society.
adamBomb is online now Report Post

adamBomb

I agree 100%. Georgia doesn't allow open carry and I hope that they never do. The only thing that I would add to this is that I am 69 years old and I would worry about a bad guy sneaking up on me and stealing my weapon and shooting me with it if I would carry it open.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:05 PM   #5
reddog81

I live in central Iowa where open carry is allowed if you have a permit to carry. I don't plan on ever open carrying and I've seen 1 person open carry in the last 10 years and he looked like he had just come out off a farm and probably open carried all the time.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:06 PM   #6
lamarw

My State allows it, and I do not open carry. I see absolutely no benefit to open carry. I do see a lot of disadvantages and most have already been mentioned by others.

Last edited by lamarw; November 18, 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:13 PM   #7
springer99

Open carry ONLY when hunting. Otherwise, why would I want to draw attention to myself?
Old November 18, 2015, 07:17 PM   #8
AK103K

It does, I dont.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

I'm of the "I don't want to be the first target" line of thinking. My state allows open carry by CCW licensees, but I chose not to.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 18, 2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Slimjim9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
It does, I dont.
Ha! Stole my answer. Verbatim.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:07 PM   #11
bbqbob51

No, don't need the attention. Don't have any desire to make strangers uncomfortable. Don't want people who are not necessarily "gun people" to develop negative opinions about firearms.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:18 PM   #12
str8tshot

My state is trying again to pass an open carry provision. If it passes I will.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:28 PM   #13
gyvel

For many years, Arizona was an open carry state. Years ago, a person carrying open did not attract any particular attention either negative or positive. Then the demographics changed with an infestation of people from other states and now open carry attracts negative attention in public places. I still open carry occasionally in relatively rural places, but, as a rule, if I am in "polite" society, I ccw.
SIFE
Old November 18, 2015, 08:29 PM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
My state is trying again to pass an open carry provision. If it passes I will.
Having the ability or legal authority to do something "just because you can" doesn't win any friends.
SIFE
Old November 18, 2015, 08:41 PM   #15
sandmansans

So I'm going to add my 2 cents. My state doesn't have law stating against open carry, making it defacto legal, but even if it was , I wouldn't. I feel that it draws negative attention, similar to the Joe standing in line at the grocery store with his hand on his "concealed" weapon.

Now, with that said if I lived somewhere very very rural, then yes. Its very different. Places like that I feel it's like a way of life, almost providing a friendly conversation piece, like hey how you like that 686? Etc.

I live In a very very gun friendly state, but a state that is well populated and while I live In a rural area, the demographic is more urban at times. The sight of a gun would only draw fear and unwanted attention.

Besides, to further give away my online anonymity, my appearance isn't that of the typical NRA demographic lol. I think the police and I would be having a lot of conversations as to what am I doing etc...
Old November 18, 2015, 08:43 PM   #16
AzShooter

We are allowed to carry Concealed without a permit or Open Carry. I love Arizona.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:47 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
I agree 100%. Georgia doesn't allow open carry and I hope that they never do.

It is legal here in GA and I see someone doing so from time to time. Probably on average 1-2 times a month. It doesn't seem to cause any issues, certainly none I've noticed. Under the right circumstances I would, but as a rule choose not to do so in populated areas. When hunting, hiking or working in a rural area I may, or may not. I tend to carry concealed, but the nice thing about OC being legal is not having to worry about being spotted.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:52 PM   #18
ejfalvo

I have the option to open carry and chose not to. I CCW everywhere and surprisingly enough, when I see someone OC, I get a little anxious - not because I 'fear' them, but because of the negative impact they could have on others. Yep, I know it will start the 'well too bad for the sheep' argument, but in my opinion, I'd rather run covert without raising attention than declaring 'I've got a gun", to the already gun-fearing crowd.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:56 PM   #19
AZkimber

Like Gyvel, I live in AZ and, as he said, there is both open and CCW. It doesn't SEEM to bother anyone here where we live either way, from what I can tell.

But, I just carry concealed because I don't want anyone to know I am carrying. It doesn't matter to me what someone chooses to do since an armed citizen is an armed citizen and may stop a violent crime from happening or continuing.

In the world we now live in, carrying means a whole lot more than it used to. Sad to say!

Last edited by AZkimber; November 18, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 18, 2015, 09:14 PM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

California allowed unloaded open carry until a couple of years ago, when it was barred. Barring open carry resulted in the U.S. Circuit Court ruling that concealed carry permits had to be issued for anyone desiring to CCW for personal self defense. (The ruling has been vacated by the Circuit Court's acceptance to rehear the appeal en banc.)
Old November 18, 2015, 11:31 PM   #21
Andy Blozinski

Open carry is a bad idea for many reasons in most situations. I do welcome it being legal only for the reason that I can't be targeted by law enforcement if I accidentally show my concealed weapon.
Old November 19, 2015, 12:22 AM   #22
TXAZ

"shoot me first"

Open carry = Billboard saying "Hey mr. Bad guy, I'm a threat to you, shoot me first".

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 19, 2015, 12:55 AM   #23
Water-Man

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I live in a rural area and the closest town only has a few thousand people. Of those people, no one much cares one way or another, including the cops.

When I travel to the 'big city', Atlanta, I carry concealed.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:05 AM   #24
JimmyR

Yes, I open carry (sometimes)

Yes, I'm one of those guys who chooses to carry a weapon without a cover sometimes. To be honest, I don't do it very often, and it depends heavily on my attire, how long I plan on being out, etc.

If I choose to open carry it is because:
1) I am in clothes that don't facilitate concealed carry (i.e. slacks and a tucked in shirt) and/or
2) I am only going to be out and about for a short period of time (quick run to the store, etc.)

I don't see Open Carry as a realistic option for all day carry for me, and honestly I conceal carry about 90% of the time.

My rules for open carry are:

1) Wear clean, professional clothes.
2) Use a holster with active retention.
3) Be plesant, and have a positive demeanor when interacting with others.

I have never had a negative experience while open carrying, and have actually had people thanking me for having a sidearm (two older ladies in the checkout line at Krogers).

When done properly, OC is not threatening to most people, and draws marginally more attention than concealed carry. In exchange, I feel it provides a cleaner draw, with no risk of snagging on a cover garment, and a comfortable way to keep my pistol close.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:06 AM   #25
chris in va

I've seen a few OC folks here in KY, but honestly I just want to be left alone and don't care for attention, good or bad. Concealed for me.