The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
aiming fluid

Remington Sportsman 58 question

I have a remington sportsman 58 chambered in 12 guage that I have received from my father. The gun works very well, but has of recent been a little anemic with chambering shells, but not with cycling automatically. I would like to be able to take out the recoil spring and clean out the tube/spring assembly, but I do not know how to get it out. Do any of you know how to do this, and do the recoil springs need to be replaced periodically? It's had maybe 3k rounds run through it over the years. Thanks in advance!
Old September 24, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
aiming fluid

Well I've managed to answer my own question. I contacted Remington, had them ship out an owners manual for this gun (gratis), and in it are the needed instructions. It turned out to be a simple matter, and I found loads of gunk that was preventing the smooth operation of the firearm. Easy enough repair. Hope this helps any others with this model of shotgun.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
CowTowner

Thanks for taking the time to post and letting us know the manual was the help required.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy